Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Electric Nautique

eyepeeler

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michigan boarder

• Lance B. Johnson

• eyepeeler

• jkendallmsce

It makes sense. But one of the things I like a lot about the lake is each time, while on our beach or pier, I hear someone go heavy on the throttle to pull up a skier or footer I know whose boat it is. A quick head turn, and they're up to speed, with a hand wave as they go by. It'll be strange to just hear water! In other ways it'll be very nice.

They have some work to do then. 4 runs and then wait 4.5 hours to go again, not so good.

http://www.nautique.com/press/index/nautique-announces-the-industry-s-first-high-performance-100-electric-boat

Prolly bad news for you folks in CA, electric boats will be law soon. :)

The technology will get there. I remember when I was a kid, our phones were on a "party" line ! Ya, that was fun.

Hopefully, they can come up with hi-performance solar cells that will be able to re-charge the battery quicker then you use it.

Can you imagine getting away from the stranglehold of mid-east oil ! :yahoo:

Steve B.

The technology will get there. I remember when I was a kid, our phones were on a "party" line ! Ya, that was fun.

Hopefully, they can come up with hi-performance solar cells that will be able to re-charge the battery quicker then you use it.

Can you imagine getting away from the stranglehold of mid-east oil ! :yahoo:

Steve B.

I could see a boat lift with a solar charging station as a canopy. Have three batteries on hand, one in the boat and two on the charger. The battery changing equipment would be pier mounted. Or simply upgrade service to 3 phase 480v coming into the house!

I could see a boat lift with a solar charging station as a canopy. Have three batteries on hand, one in the boat and two on the charger. The battery changing equipment would be pier mounted. Or simply upgrade service to 3 phase 480v coming into the house!

According to Schnitz, the batteries weight 500 lbs each and cost $10,000. Replace every three years.

They have some work to do then. 4 runs and then wait 4.5 hours to go again, not so good.

http://www.nautique.com/press/index/nautique-announces-the-industry-s-first-high-performance-100-electric-boat

Prolly bad news for you folks in CA, electric boats will be law soon. :)

YA CA gets its leg all tingly about anything electric. There are many positives, but people tend to forget just where that electricity came from and what it took to gemerate that electicity...like coal and natural gas. Like not getting CO poisoning while sitting on the back deck. ANd that the 2 fuel sources I mentioned make up about 70% of all electricty generated in the US.

ANd they tend to forget the "line loss" in pumping that electricity to the user along with other innefficiencies in electrical production

Electric vehicles may eventually work, but after over 100 years of trying, we are still a few generations away from it all coming together.

You can always make a recording of your favorite V8 and play it nice and loud on your stereo.

According to Schnitz, the batteries weight 500 lbs each and cost $10,000. Replace every three years.

I would bet that same battery new will cost $5k in 3 years. Just like a 350 short block is made in mass, if the batteries are too (for multiple applications & standard sizes) they will drop in price quickly. For example, a 1000amp, 480v lift truck battery weighing 2500 pounds with 8 hour run time costs about $7k , I think. And it will fit in a Cat, Crown, Komatsu, Hyster, Mitsibushi, etc. They would have to do the same to make it feasible. I'm sure it'll happen.

In the video, if you watch, the do say it will handle 3 - 4 skier "sets". If they are using professional skiers as the guide this would be quite a few runs through the course.

However, only being able to use the boat on weekends, when I do use it I use it all day. The only way I can imagine having a boat with this limitation is having two boats... which isn't really feasable for me.

you can hear it accelerate at the very end of the video. doubt you'd hear that on a neighboring boat with it's engine also going.

I am guessing that thing has 2 batteries running down both sides of the electric motor. Seems to take up a lot of space.

I'd like to see it next to a comparable boat with a motor. When they show the electric boat is sure looks like it's sitting low in the water. I wonder if it has to do with the weight of the batteries and electric motors

I'd like to see it next to a comparable boat with a motor. When they show the electric boat is sure looks like it's sitting low in the water. I wonder if it has to do with the weight of the batteries and electric motors

You mean an engine:Tease3:

I would really like to be able to refuel at my own dock without having to carry the cans down from the truck. A natural gas (CNG) option for the boat would be the best and still yield the performance that we have with gasoline. The battery capacity will have to improve dramatically before an all electric boat becomes viable and comparable to what we have today. If you want to load your boat down with people, ballast, and a thumpin stereo I don't think it would make it out of the 5mph zone.

Don't get me wrong I like new technologies, but it will have some drawbacks to what we have today and I guess you can trade in the jumper cables for a generator.

-Dave

Three to four skier sets...I got 4 kids, can't even make it through the family before needing a recharge. Still it is nice to see the application starting, but we have a long way to go.

YA CA gets its leg all tingly about anything electric. There are many positives, but people tend to forget just where that electricity came from and what it took to gemerate that electicity...like coal and natural gas. Like not getting CO poisoning while sitting on the back deck. ANd that the 2 fuel sources I mentioned make up about 70% of all electricty generated in the US.

ANd they tend to forget the "line loss" in pumping that electricity to the user along with other innefficiencies in electrical production

Electric vehicles may eventually work, but after over 100 years of trying, we are still a few generations away from it all coming together.

You can always make a recording of your favorite V8 and play it nice and loud on your stereo.

All so true....

Another point, what about a heater? I run my heater yearround.

Ah, that's easy, just another current. In fact, you could put little heaters all over the place.

and you seldom hear talk about the 600 pound gorilla in the room: the build and disposal of those batteries.

there are some pretty nasty things in those batteries.

Indeed. Things that China has no problem working with. So instead of dependency on middle east oil we shift it to asian lead.

and you seldom hear talk about the 600 pound gorilla in the room: the build and disposal of those batteries.

there are some pretty nasty things in those batteries.

YA just like those stupid mercury laden CFL light bulbs.

NO one seems to be concerned about what happens when one breaks??

Three to four skier sets...I got 4 kids, can't even make it through the family before needing a recharge. Still it is nice to see the application starting, but we have a long way to go.

A "set" and a "run" are two different things. Most pro skiers start at 28 off, 32, 35, 38, and maybe 39.5 like Andy Mapple in the video. That's start/stop for rope changes and 4-5 pulls per set, plus any reruns or warmups. That's 12-25 pulls through the course (and I think they were purposely ambiguous on that). For a family of course skiers, four sets in the morning and four in the evening is quite a bit. For a recreational ski family, yeah not yet.

Definitely private course lake only and schedule your day around charge time. Public lake cruisers, you'll have to wait for sure.

Cool to take the first step, though. And SN guys are happy to see the 196 hull still in action. My concern is that batteries rarely charge the same way twice, so inconsistent run times and charge times may leave some left out of their turn. If they ran a tournament with these, they'd have to have six or more boats ready to go to get through the day.