Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 Wakesetter or 05+ Vride Ballast Diagram?

Indyxc

Hello all,

I just bought a new to me 2004 Malibu Wakesetter Vlx! During the water test in Florida I think the center tank and starboard tank filled and drained, but the port side tank wouldn't fit. Not a big deal, as the boat was otherwise mint.

I winterized the pumps when I got the boat on the trailer by draining/filling them, and towed the boat home to freezing weather to Michigan.

In the garage last night, i was messing around with the ballast switches, and now I could only hear the front fill pump running. I obviously didn't check the fuses, but I am assuming I should be able to hear the pumps running on the trailer?

Also, does someone have a diagram of where all the pumps are on the stock setup? i want to tear it apart, and do a refurb on it. I searched, but couldn't find one.

Thanks

Edited by Indyxc

Hello all,

I just bought a new to me 2004 Malibu Wakesetter Vlx! During the water test in Florida I think the center tank and starboard tank filled and drained, but the port side tank wouldn't fit. Not a big deal, as the boat was otherwise mint.

I winterized the pumps when I got the boat on the trailer by draining/filling them, and towed the boat home to freezing weather to Michigan.

In the garage last night, i was messing around with the ballast switches, and now I could only hear the front fill pump running. I obviously didn't check the fuses, but I am assuming I should be able to hear the pumps running on the trailer?

Also, does someone have a diagram of where all the pumps are on the stock setup? i want to tear it apart, and do a refurb on it. I searched, but couldn't find one.

Thanks

You can turn the switch on and try tapping on the pumps to see if they start. Could be they will start up and then won't give you any more trouble.....or could be they will turn on and continue to give you problems......or could be they won't turn on at all :)

You can turn the switch on and try tapping on the pumps to see if they start. Could be they will start up and then won't give you any more trouble.....or could be they will turn on and continue to give you problems......or could be they won't turn on at all :)

Ok thanks. I remember seeing the two pumps on either side of the v-drive and the fill pump under the center access hatch for the middle tank.

Where are the rear and middle drain pumps?

Ok thanks. I remember seeing the two pumps on either side of the v-drive and the fill pump under the center access hatch for the middle tank.

Where are the rear and middle drain pumps?

Unless they did it different in '04 all 3 fills will be back by the vdrive, the rear tanks will use 1 thru-hull that tees off into 2 pumps and the center fill is on the other side with its own thru-hull. The pump you saw is the center drain and the rear drains are on the tanks in the back corners.

Edited by Ndawg12

Nope, all 3 fills will be back by the vdrive, the rear tanks will use 1 thru-hull that tees off into 2 pumps and the center fill is on the other side with its own thru-hull. The pump you saw is the center drain and the rear drains are on the tanks in the back corners.

Huh, not mine. My center fill is under the trap door by the center tank, and my two rear tanks each have their own thru-hulls on either side of the tranny.

Huh, not mine. My center fill is under the trap door by the center tank, and my two rear tanks each have their own thru-hulls on either side of the tranny.

Hmmm. Maybe they did it differently in Merced than Loudon, I've heard of that on a couple other things. So does your hose have a loop or anything to help keep it from auto filling, have you had a problem with that?

Yeah there's a big loopy loop (but no backflow prevention device) of hose from the pump, up under the helm and back down to the tank. Sorta goes up by the speaker in the dash on the driver's side. Between that hose and the vent and drain lines, it makes fishing anything through the stringer (like speaker wire or a depth gauge sending unit) a real pain.

Well, just did some checking. Ndawg was right on my setup!

All 3 of my intake pumps are right near the v-drive. The two for the rear tanks are on the right side of the v-drive, tee'd together off one water intake in the hull. The intake for the center tank is to the left of the v-drive on it's own thru-hull fitting.

The drain for the center take is right under the center access hatch, and it sounds like the drains for the rear tanks are somewhere in the bank of the current rear tanks. Are these hard to get to? I didn't dig around as it is currently frigid in my garage.

Also, is there a better option that these pumps in terms of relability? They seem very cheap. Seems each day a different one is not working when I try them.

Edited by Indyxc

Well, just did some checking. Ndawg was right on my setup!

All 3 of my intake pumps are right near the v-drive. The two for the rear tanks are on the right side of the v-drive, tee'd together off one water intake in the hull. The intake for the center tank is to the left of the v-drive on it's own thru-hull fitting.

The drain for the center take is right under the center access hatch, and it sounds like the drains for the rear tanks are somewhere in the bank of the current rear tanks. Are these hard to get to? I didn't dig around as it is currently frigid in my garage.

Also, is there a better option that these pumps in terms of relability? They seem very cheap. Seems each day a different one is not working when I try them.

Yeah, the drains for your rear tanks are mounted at the bottom of each with very little clearance between them and the

hull at the transom. They are screwed into the tanks and sealed with silicone. You will have to remove the tanks to get to them or at least unscrew the tank from the floor so you can shift it around to get access. They are a little bit of a pain. I had them out several times on my boat due to leaking issues. On mine, the threaded inserts where the pumps screw in cracked on both tanks and were fixed by the dealer under warranty. Prior to that I had leaking from the unused ports on both of my tanks because the plugs from the factory cracked and broke off on both tanks. The factory caps were a brittle

material which didn't hold up too well. I replaced those myself with some from Home Depot. Of course after all of that

I ended up pulling my tanks and putting in 750's! Wish I had done that to start with. :rockon:

Edited by DUKENO1

could somebody snap a photo of this manifold setup? Is it a 1" thru hull that reduces to two 3/4" pumps?

It's still 3/4", someone on here calculated the maximum throughput on a 3/4" thru hull and it's still quite a bit higher than these pumps can pull so I don't think it's restricting. Sorry no pic.