Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

anyone break theses bones and still ski

foiler1

Hello, i walked out of a convenience store last week and took a spill on the ice. Ended up breaking my tib and fib(ankle). Had surgery eight hours later and woke up to 9 screws and a plate. This has been the worst week of my life. The pain us unbelievable and i will be pretty much useless for the next 12 weeks. so, has anyone done this and still been able to slalom and barefoot at the same level before the injury? BTW left foot break, left foot forward.

My wife is a PT and she said you shouldn't plan on it any time this season. That injury will take at least 12 months. Time to dial in your surf wake :biggrin:

lie to me!! This is a real drag!

There are so many variables......I think you will know when it feels right.

Boy you have my sympathy though....I have been there and it really sucks. Especially such a freak accident. Sorry man.

Sorry man, I feel your pain, I'm still nursing an ankle injury from October and I probably won't wb this season, surfing and maybe try wakeskating. But curious how you slip on ice and break your fib/tib? Or did you slip and then get ran over by a truck? :biggrin:

Sorry man, I feel your pain, I'm still nursing an ankle injury from October and I probably won't wb this season, surfing and maybe try wakeskating. But curious how you slip on ice and break your fib/tib? Or did you slip and then get ran over by a truck? :biggrin:

my wife told me it was three bones. turns out the convenience store where it happened had cameras on. the owner says feet were over my head. can't wait to see it.

I had surgery on my left ankle last Feb 15. Had 2 screws put in and 2 shredded tendons kinda made into one (outside and just below the ankle bone). With good rehab therapy I was slalom skiing on Memorial weekend. Take it easy and find a good physical therapist. Good Luck!

rehab, rehab, rehab. I broke/crushed both my ankles breaking my tibia's and fixed with screws in a slalom accident. I did it in August and finished rehab in March, skied in April so don't give up. Talk to your orthopedic and tell him exactly how you ski. I even brought a video and my slalom boots in to my to show him how I ski and the new boots that was supporting my ankles. Good luck and work hard! You be back in no time. I'm left foot forward and lost mobility in my left ankle but I found that having mobility in your rear ankle is more important.

:plus1: rehab, rehab, rehab You can come back !!!! I have seen a lot worse and come back the next season no problem. One of our crew is planing a come back now. Three brakes on his front foot. One 45 deg above boot and two spiral up the leg. Same thing plate from ankle to knee 13 screws. He is doing well and planing on skiing this spring. Broken on 10/10 2010. He is walking and said the only big deal is as usual he knows when its going to rain or snow.

Have a look at the xray of my leg, smashed it to pieces in a slalom accident January 4 2010, 3 hospitals, 4 operations and 9 weeks later i was discharged, after that hospital rehab 2 times a week for 12 weeks and ongoing rehab at home. Diagnosos from the doc's wasn't good for ever skiing or getting the plates out, mentaly i just resigned myself to boat driving untill i felt 'right' last surgical review in December 2010 the Doc couldn't believe i was walking with almost no limp (still have my days though) but warned me against skiing with bindings and pointed to the Xray exactly where my leg would break if things went wrong (just above the big plate). Any way a couple of weekends ago i felt good enough and started to learn wakesurfing for my skiing fix :)

Later this year i get my plates out and then i'll start on the rehab again :)

2.5 years out from ankle break and dislocation. I had a right lateral malleolus fracture. 8 total weeks of PT 4 weeks after each surgery. 7 screws and a plate. After having the plate and screws removed at this point it is bearable, but no where near what it used to be. Some days are better then others, but my days of getting aboot on my foot are done. Now I am the boat driver and wakesurf.

I fell off a roof and broke my feemer on my left leg and smashed my heal on my right. I missed an entire season but was back the following year. I have a little trouble with my trick skiing (turns do to a lack of strenght in the broken feemer area) and I really don't like wakebording beause of the landings. But I still barefoot, tick and Slalom...Never was going to make the National team anyway but I enjoy it.

I know how depressing it can be as I was in a wheelchair for months but hang in and hang Loose! Best of luck!

I broke my tib/fib skiing 2007 and last season was my best ever. I did not have any significant ankle joint injury though. Not sure exactly where you injury is. I still have the plate in but it doesn’t slow me down much, you just find you are a little more cautious when things are not clicking on the water, don’t want to re injure with a hunk of metal inside your leg. Here are some pics of the brake and post surgery.You cannot see the Fibula in the picture but the Tibia is clear. My leg

Edited by Devin Perry

I broke my tib/fib skiing 2007 and last season was my best ever. I did not have any significant ankle joint injury though. Not sure exactly where you injury is. I still have the plate in but it doesn’t slow me down much, you just find you are a little more cautious when things are not clicking on the water, don’t want to re injure with a hunk of metal inside your leg. Here are some pics of the brake and post surgery.You cannot see the Fibula in the picture but the Tibia is clear. My leg

that is GROSSSSSSSSS!!!! AHHHHHHHHH i just puked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. OMG That is just grossssss!!!! i will get a couple pics when the first cast comes off, next monday.

Joe

My ski buddy broke both feet last July 4th weekend. 9 screws and two plates each ankle and foot.

Of course he had the same questions you do. Now, only 6 months later is snow skiing like Glen Plake and this summer will be skiing again too !

Hope you have the same success !

Steve B.

Hello, i walked out of a convenience store last week and took a spill on the ice. Ended up breaking my tib and fib(ankle). Had surgery eight hours later and woke up to 9 screws and a plate. This has been the worst week of my life. The pain us unbelievable and i will be pretty much useless for the next 12 weeks. so, has anyone done this and still been able to slalom and barefoot at the same level before the injury? BTW left foot break, left foot forward.

Yes, I broke both in my left foot/ankle when I was 16. They inserted 4 screws (2 of them 4 inches long), I was in a cast from toe to hip for 8 weeks and then a walking cast for 4 weeks. Physical Therapy was minimal (this was in '78) and they told me I would walk with a limp for the rest of my life, and to forget about skiing.

The break was in March that year, I was skiing by the end of summer, barefooting the following spring. Still skiing and footing 30+ years later with no issues. And no limp. :)

So I guess my introduction to Little Island Pond will now be even further delayed. (Just kidding).....that REALLY SUCKS, Joe. Best of luck to a fast & full recovery. Let me know if you need a hand this spring putting your dock in or anything.

So I guess my introduction to Little Island Pond will now be even further delayed. (Just kidding).....that REALLY SUCKS, Joe. Best of luck to a fast & full recovery. Let me know if you need a hand this spring putting your dock in or anything.

Hey Dave, this is a real bummer. i hate sitting here looking at the ice knowing i can't go out. I asked my 10 year old to pull my 4 wheeler out front and pick me up,the wife was less than pleased with that request. this won't push you back.i still plan on getting the dock in as soon as the ice is gone thnen the bu. i know i can still ride and get inverted on the foil i just dont want to give up all the other fun. Time will tell.. talk soon

Joe

Broke my neck (C6) in May 2007 slalom skiing but was able to ski again by Sept 2007. Fell off the roof in Dec 2007 and shattered my left heel. Was skiing again by May 2008. Knock on wood no breaks since then!

Edited by 2003w23lsv