Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'06 Throttle by Wire losing tension

At the end of the summer, my throttle control started losing tension between neutral and wakeboard speeds and one time actually dropped the boat from 24 mph to probably 5 mph when the driver let go of the throttle to reach for something. A couple months ago I loosened the throttle from the side panel to investigate and I believe there are three springs that apply tension for the Morse Control throttle. Has anyone else replaced the springs? I plan to contact Bakes, but curious if anyone has had similar problems.

I have this problem also. When I had my boat in for the final warranty work (2 years ago) they said there was a new spring that was a fix for this. Although for us it had already been done. They replaced the spring again and I didn't see much difference. I think that this is just a problem with that throttle module. We've even been driving and a large bump has caused us to go WOT.

I'd be curious if anyone has done a mod to their throttle.

I had mine replaced under warranty. Dealer did the tension adjustment fix first but that did not change anything. Mine would also go WOT after a hit on a wave. Not a good feeling. At approx 350 hours the controller was replaced. Now at 750 hours still holding good.

Not only would mine go WOT, but while the cruise control was set, it would slowly creep slower and when it finally got out of control range (block in range box on dash) it would drop speed unexpectedly. SURPRISE to your rider!

Edited by dalt1

At the end of the summer, my throttle control started losing tension between neutral and wake board speeds and one time actually dropped the boat from 24 mph to probably 5 mph when the driver let go of the throttle to reach for something. A couple months ago I loosened the throttle from the side panel to investigate and I believe there are three springs that apply tension for the Morse Control throttle. Has anyone else replaced the springs? I plan to contact Bakes, but curious if anyone has had similar problems.

Is your problem the throttle is pulling back from 24 to 5 or throttling up from 5 to 24? Sounds like everybody is talking about two different problems.

The way you described your problem pulling the throttle back, it sounds like you should be removing or doing a lighter tension spring.

I have this problem also. When I had my boat in for the final warranty work (2 years ago) they said there was a new spring that was a fix for this. Although for us it had already been done. They replaced the spring again and I didn't see much difference. I think that this is just a problem with that throttle module. We've even been driving and a large bump has caused us to go WOT.

I'd be curious if anyone has done a mod to their throttle.

The biggest problem with that control is actually not the control itself. Its the weight of the Isotta shift knob pulling the throttle lever down. Fly by wire control is awesome but unfortunately since you man the throttle with your pinkie now its ultra sensitive. It was a easy fix for most of our customers just going to a lighter composite throttle knob.

You can always change the throttle return spring to a heavier tension, just be careful what you change it to as modifying the throttle control has some risk there.

The spring kit Malibu was doing didn't make any difference at all with that problem.

-Paul

It does sound like I'm having a different problem since I experienced the throttle slipping back towards neutral instead of WOT.

I unscrewed the throttle control from the panel again and realized there's only two springs connected--one spring attaches to the transmission cable and the second spring adds tension as the throttle moves forward. It seems like my "loose throttle" occurs before the second spring starts to provide tension on the control. I plan to remove the entire panel and take pictures this weekend.

A couple months ago I removed the panel and the second spring thinking the spring needed to be replaced. With the spring removed there was little to no resistance and it very easily could have allowed a slip to WOT.

So in my situation, it seems like I would need a new or shorter second spring but also a third spring to work in the opposite direction?

Is your problem the throttle is pulling back from 24 to 5 or throttling up from 5 to 24? Sounds like everybody is talking about two different problems.

The way you described your problem pulling the throttle back, it sounds like you should be removing or doing a lighter tension spring.

The biggest problem with that control is actually not the control itself. Its the weight of the Isotta shift knob pulling the throttle lever down. Fly by wire control is awesome but unfortunately since you man the throttle with your pinkie now its ultra sensitive. It was a easy fix for most of our customers just going to a lighter composite throttle knob.

You can always change the throttle return spring to a heavier tension, just be careful what you change it to as modifying the throttle control has some risk there.

The spring kit Malibu was doing didn't make any difference at all with that problem.

-Paul

I would prefer just a higher tension in both directions. I would think if you replace the spring that you're talking about that it would be harder to push the throttle, but it would be easier to pull it back to neutral. I want it to be tighter both ways. Is there a way to do that?