Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dash Mount GPS/XM receiver

augie09

I am trying to figure out where to put a chartplotter/xm receiver on my 'bu. Below are my options, any experiences or pic's greatly appreciated.

Top of Dash:

Pro's: Great visibility, driver and passengers can see it. Internal antenna's would work.

Con's: Requires putting a hole in the dash to mount gps and running cables through dash. Has to be removed anytime the tower comes down.

Under Dash:

Pro's. No drilling through dash vinyl.

con's: External antenna probably required which has to sit on top of dash. Lower visibility. May have to fabricate mounting bracket.

Thinking something like this?

IMG_4456.jpg

How abput a cupholder mount?/ they sell them on ebay FWIW

I don't have any cup holders near the driver side dash, but there is one over by the glove box I could set it in, however looks like those are more for smaller handheld gps devices and phones.

maybe I could hang it from the window.

malibu_options.jpg

I don't have any cup holders near the driver side dash, but there is one over by the glove box I could set it in, however looks like those are more for smaller handheld gps devices and phones.

maybe I could hang it from the window.

malibu_options.jpg

O I thought that was a pic of your dash saw the cupholder ....how about a windshield mount ...idea on the windshield mount is put a lil bit of sunblock or some type of lotion between the suctioncup and the winshield itself...another idea would be a bean bag mount they sell at Best Buy for GPS that sit on the dash for like 30 dollars or so

Hope this helps

The display has to be very close to you or its not usable. If the bracketry is at all protracted this will magnify the vibration and will make the display unusable. A thin gauge but sturdy metal bracket can be shaped around the upper and forward lip of the dash and then slide in between the dash pad and the instrument panel. This way all the mounting holes are concealed inside and its entirely reverseable with zero evidence once removed. The bracket can be powdercoated or painted with glass particle paint so its durable and won't rust. The bracket should go unnoticed for the most part unless you are looking for it. This is actually easy to fabricate if you know someone who has a hand press that can roll and bend metal. Just one idea. Maybe a bit too custom and more trouble than what you're looking for.

David

Earmark Marine

I built a GPS speedometer for the boat last fall and had the same dilemma. I used a small black plastic project box as a last resort. I needed a waterproof enclosure so I siliconed it closed with the GPS receiver inside. I ran the serial cable to the controller through the edge of the cupholder and down the the controller under the dash (in a pelican case). I thought about taking the receiver and potting it in one of the beemer "shark fins" and putting it on the dash. Might be a little more aesthetically pleasing. Maybe this spring....

Here's pics of the project.

Here is exactly what I would use. I have a GPS that is considerably bigger for my jeep that I use this suction cup on and it has never fallen. You'll just need to suction it to the window, then run the plug to a lighter. The first link will take you to the base, the second is for the suction mount.

http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/GPSMounts/tabid/135/Default.aspx

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045050050052045049085/Default.aspx

I have these mounts for my ATV, dirt bike, jeep and they always work flawlessly.

Here is exactly what I would use. I have a GPS that is considerably bigger for my jeep that I use this suction cup on and it has never fallen. You'll just need to suction it to the window, then run the plug to a lighter.

How do these holdup to vibration/bumps? Do you have to reset the arm or adjust the ball joints often?

If the suction didn't work, looks like I could switch over to the glare mount to clamp to top of window and hang down.

The display has to be very close to you or its not usable. If the bracketry is at all protracted this will magnify the vibration and will make the display unusable. A thin gauge but sturdy metal bracket can be shaped around the upper and forward lip of the dash and then slide in between the dash pad and the instrument panel. This way all the mounting holes are concealed inside and its entirely reverseable with zero evidence once removed. The bracket can be powdercoated or painted with glass particle paint so its durable and won't rust. The bracket should go unnoticed for the most part unless you are looking for it. This is actually easy to fabricate if you know someone who has a hand press that can roll and bend metal. Just one idea. Maybe a bit too custom and more trouble than what you're looking for.

David

Earmark Marine

make sure I understand this. This would require removing instrument panel and attaching an angled mount behind panel. I am picturing this guys head shimming between panel and dash.

010_MomawNadon.jpg

Edited by augie09

How do these holdup to vibration/bumps? Do you have to reset the arm or adjust the ball joints often?

If the suction didn't work, looks like I could switch over to the glare mount to clamp to top of window and hang down.

Not that this is a direct answer to your question, but I use a suction cup mount for my ipod. It's on the inside of the windshield right above the throttle. It has never come off and works like a champ. And mine is just an ebay cheapie. I've got a ram mount product and those things are engineered to work without fail. I'd suspect that their suction cup mount would be pretty well bulletproof.

I use the suction mount on a Jeep on 35's. I've gone on tons of trails to include Moab and the Grand Canyon and it has never, and I mean never, fallen.

Now I don't leave it up there when I'm not using it, or in the sun for weeks, but you'll be amazed at how strong it is. I'd guess greater than 25lbs of force to pull it off!