Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

best way to pick up a rider

keegan

i have searched for this topic. this will help others too.

i have been on the water for alot of years, but last year was my first on a busy lake with a big wake boat (23 lsv).

i as i am sure others would like to know the best/ fastest/ most respectful way to pick up a rider on a busy lake. time is sort of an issue as out here in canada the water is a little cold and i dont want my riders in the water for too long.

what is the best way to get turned around and pick up my rider with out throwing a power turn type wake off?

-keegan

Not sure there is a “best way” other than slowing down to turn. You could give a little extra throttle after then turn.

Sure there is, read my signature :biggrin: .

And your point is? :tomato:

Signatures are not showing up right now. :surprised: I pmed wakegirl and M-dude yesterday about that.

If my signature showed up it would be self explanitory. I can see your signature.

This is what I do but I'm not saying I'm the best driver out there. When your rider falls throttle back to neutral to slow the boat, then bump it just into forward and let the wave pass by the transom. Then turn right and idle back to your rider, passing him on the your side. Once past the rider turn right a little more so the rider can catch the rope. This is best case scenario and it all depends on traffic and what direction you to head in. Sometimes you can't avoid a powerturn with other idiots out there. The amount of time your rider spends in the water will largely depend on how quickly you throttle back once they fall.

This is what I do but I'm not saying I'm the best driver out there.

:plus1:

I do the same things as NDawg.... However, if there is a lot of traffic I change it up slightly. When the rider falls I cut the throttle to idle speed and then immediately spin the wheel to the right. Usually this ends up that I take my own wake at a 45. Sometimes a little throttle is need to raise the bow, then once straightened out power up to go get the rider.

The thing to remember is to try not to turn while under power as this chops up the water. If you need to get back to your rider quickly try to only run at throttle in a straight line parallel to the lines you run with a rider...not perpendicular.

One other thing that I have learned that helps keep the chop to a minimum is when you are make a turn with a rider to only make what I would call "P turns". If you are running along a shore line that is to your right when it comes time to make your turn you will actually turn left (away from shore) initially, then when you have enough room make your turn toward shore. This will get your rider back to clean water the fastest and prevents you from crossing your own wake.

It should look like this...

post-466-095168500 1295359198_thumb.jpg

I'm no expert, just sharing what I have found works best for our crew on our lake. Next time you are out on the lake look for some season professionals and observe their habits. I have picked up a trick or two from watching other folks, just don't watch the wally's :crazy:

Steve Schnitzer has a very good dissertation on picking up a skier along with many boating safety tips and operational instructions. Good reading relative to this particular question. From what I have observed, the powerturn method does not actually appear to result in arriving at your rider sooner than a cut throttle, slow U turn and return which is much safer and also will not swamp your rider with the resultant roller.

If my signature showed up it would be self explanitory. I can see your signature.

Do you see your own?

Making me think the MODS are starting to lock me out. :cry:

Next thing you know they will be taking away my post count.

And your point is? :tomato:

Signatures are not showing up right now. :surprised: I pmed wakegirl and M-dude yesterday about that.

I haven't had any issue with sigs not showing. Are you still having that problem?

Do you see your own?

Making me think the MODS are starting to lock me out. :cry:

Next thing you know they will be taking away my post count.

I can see mine and yours ;) . Maybe it's your puter.

:yahoo:

Suppose 06 is gonna hate those much?

Or the Around the Boats?

He ought to love Barf-o-rama :crazy:

If anyone is looking for powerturn lessons consult any MC owner on lake sammamish, they are journeyman in the art.

Out here on the Delta most of the channels are fairly narrow. If you power turn it throws that wake down the channela nd screws everyone up - not cool. I always tell people that slow and methodical, keeps riders alive and other boaters happy. Another benefit of not power turning is your hung over friends don't puke in the boat. As a general rule, people that puke a) don't chip in for gas and 2) have to swim home... :whistle:

The amount of time your rider spends in the water will largely depend on how quickly you throttle back once they fall.

Good advice. Keep an eye on your rider and kill the throttle as soon as he goes down. Don't count on your crew or observer to always tell you when they fall. The sooner you kill the throttle, the better.