Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is my starter the problem?

Club Chuck

I have a 99 Malibu Sunsetter LXI...Monsoon II 350 CI Monsoon 325 HP. When I attempt to start, the starter engages for 1/2 to 1 second then no more engagement.

This seems to be a starter failure and replacement the solution. Appreciate any input and suggestions including on On-line sites for best deals on Malibu engine parts.. Thank you...

A lot of auto parts stores will bench test the starter for you, which is worthwhile because the replacements run around $200.

Any unusual sounds as the starter is engaging? Make sure you battery is fully charged and the connections are clean and tight.

skidim.com, go2marine, or a marine engine place like www.michiganmotorz.com are good places to look. Or you could have your existing starter rebuilt.

-Chris

A lot of auto parts stores will bench test the starter for you, which is worthwhile because the replacements run around $200.

Any unusual sounds as the starter is engaging? Make sure you battery is fully charged and the connections are clean and tight.

skidim.com, go2marine, or a marine engine place like www.michiganmotorz.com are good places to look. Or you could have your existing starter rebuilt.

-Chris

Rappid clicking or tapping = dead battery. Even a bad battery will show 12 vdc with no load and then drop to near nothing with a load applied, have your battery load tested at your local auto parts store for free. it is easier to get out and reinstall a new one. even if it is not the problem it is worth the extra effort to make sure.

Rappid clicking or tapping = dead battery. Even a bad battery will show 12 vdc with no load and then drop to near nothing with a load applied, have your battery load tested at your local auto parts store for free. it is easier to get out and reinstall a new one. even if it is not the problem it is worth the extra effort to make sure.

Or you could have your existing starter rebuilt.

Cost me $79 the last time I had it done.... locally..... in one day. :rockon:

Whatever you do, be sure they know it's a starter in a boat. They do something special so it doesn't spark & ignite any gas fumes in the bilge.

I removed what I believe to be my starter. It is only 4 inches long. Required two bolts and has one wire attached. Is this my starter? help

At the risk of offending you, please get some help with your boat...either your local dealer or a buddy who is mechanically inclined.

Again, not trying to be an a$$, but if you can't positively identify the starter on these GM engines, please stop taking parts off your engine and get someone to help you.

Edited by RTS

I removed what I believe to be my starter. It is only 4 inches long. Required two bolts and has one wire attached. Is this my starter? help

Hey guys, everyone has to start somewhere.

Here is a link to what the start on your engine should look like. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RF122015

It will be longer that 4" and it sounds like you may have seperated the motor unit of the starter from the bear unit of the starter.

Can you post a pic of what you have removed as well as a pic of the part of the engine where you removed it.

Here is a link to what the start on your engine should look like. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RF122015

It will be longer that 4" and it sounds like you may have seperated the motor unit of the starter from the bear unit of the starter.

Can you post a pic of what you have removed as well as a pic of the part of the engine where you removed it.

Yeah everyone has to start somewhere, but working on the starter around those nice high current battery cables is not the best place to get your feet wet.

To the OP, I hope you have disconnected the battery already before starting any work on your electrical system.

-Chris

Yeah everyone has to start somewhere, but working on the starter around those nice high current battery cables is not the best place to get your feet wet.

To the OP, I hope you have disconnected the battery already before starting any work on your electrical system.

-Chris

It's not the end of the world if you did not unhook the battery cables. Your bodies internal resistance is too great for a 12v battery to kill you.

:thumbup:

Thanks for URL site on what my starter should look like. That helps...I would upload pic of what I took off, but not finding icon to upload a pic...suggestions.. thanks.. Chuck

Thanks for URL site on what my starter should look like. That helps...I would upload pic of what I took off, but not finding icon to upload a pic...suggestions.. thanks.. Chuck

before taking ur starter off you could try to jump it with a screwdriver at the connections on the back of the starter or at the relay. will help narrow it down

Try this....

http://s516.photobucket.com/albums/u325/pft3/leave%20up%20TMC%20stuff/All%20videos/?action=view&current=MVI_0153.mp4

-Chris

Wow, way to put out the welcome mat buddy.

How about this: To O.P. Please feel free to PM me if you have questions concerning replacing/ testing your starter. This wouldn't be the typical response I would expect around here.

Wow, way to put out the welcome mat buddy.

How about this: To O.P. Please feel free to PM me if you have questions concerning replacing/ testing your starter. This wouldn't be the typical response I would expect around here.

Ruffdog maybe you need to read the whole thread, my first post was chock full of useful welcoming information and even a question to help narrow down the OP's problem, which could very like NOT be the starter.

Considering RTS has the exact same response to the OPs mechanical aptitude as me, I'm going to say I'm all good. But then again I'm the jerk who tells people to pay to winterize their boat when they don't know the difference between an oil pan and an exhaust manifold. I think the best course of action for this OP is to seek out a friend or qualified mechanic to repair his boat, otherwise he could hurt himself or his boat trying to save a 1/2 labor at the local dealership.

-Chris

I have the same boat and replaced the starter a couple of years ago. When the problem began I wacked the starter with a hammer. Many times that will free it up and it will work.....but only a few times if the starter is going bad. I keep a hammer and other minor tools on board at all times for just such reasons.

Thank you EVERYONE for your help...even suggesting taking my boat in.... Hopefully all the links you send ME will help others down the road...

What I need now is a diagram showing WHERE the 4 wires I have to attach to my solenoid...Any suggestions (I found general ones, but looking for specific for my starter/boat) Thanks

Tried to find a Monsoon service manul onlilne but no luck yet. Most solenoid diagrams I've seen are for 3-wire systems.

I'm sure someone will pipe in real quick here.

Obviously you took off the solenoid and not the starter. Most problems are with the solenoid or shaky wiring too or from the battery to the solenoid to the starter.

Let us know what you find, and post pic's if you find the culprit !

Steve B.

I would put back whatever you took off (probably solenoid). Then trace the connections throughout to your battery. Clean them all (wire brush) and tighten them all. If the problem is still there, start with the battery. Take it out and get it tested. While doing that, talk to the shop guys about your engine and starter, they will give you some pointers.

The problem sounds to me like a poor connection or a bad battery. I haven't had a starter just fail on me like that, but a battery can have a sudden cell failure overnight and become an instant short circuit.

Do you have any history on the boat? Was it having starting issues last year?

Edited by Michigan boarder

A couple of other things to check.

There is a breaker panel and one of the breakers will say ignotion on it. Make sure that the ground on that ingition wire is screwed down tightly to the breaker.

Also, take some pictures of everything your doing so that you have a visual of how to put it back together.