Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Canadian buying a boat in Texas??

mac19

Well it looks like I'm heading south to texas to pick up a Malibu :whistle: , I recently posted about possibly purchasing a 2008 23 LSV that was located in Eugene Oregon, however the further along I went into discussing options the more I realized that there were some missing that I wanted(Power wedge) and by the time I added everything to the boat that I wanted the boat wasn't as good of a deal as I originally thought. I also didn't have a good gut feeling about the boat after talking with the owner an several occasions. Instead I'm purchasing a different boat that is located in Austin Texas and I'm travelling from Edmonton Alberta( I know I'm a little :crazy: ). SO I'm a first time boat owner and have a few questions about this en-devour.

As a Canadian buying a boat in th US what are the hurdles and costs involved in bring the boat home?

1. Any sales tax when buying privately in Texas?

2. Is there separate titles for trailer and boat?

3. Do I pay import tax/fees for the value of the trailer at CND/US border and pay GST/sales tax on the value of the boat at time of registration when home in Alberta?

4 what other pit falls or costs besides travel?

5. Easiest route for pulling a boat home? I looked on google maps and it gives two routes which are nearly the same distance however one is goes south through Montana Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico and the other is further east through North and south Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma. I've never traveled these area's I'm assuming the second option through the Dakotas would be flatter and less hills and I would get better millage, what do you guys figure is the beast route this time of year.

6. The boat just had a 200 hr service a few hours ago do I need anything done to the boat besides winterization and Warranty transfer before travelling north.

7. the boat is an 09 23 lsv with a illusion XS tower and 4 wet sounds Pro 60's on the tower. It has the Malibu travel cover. Can I easily take off the Speakers and travel with the tower down and the cover on? If not what is the best option during travel. When I get to Canada guaranteed it will be snowing and crappy road conditions probably around -25 degrees Celsius.If the tower is required to stay up should I bubble wrap the tower and stretch wrap over it with that industrial stretch type packing wrap for protection against rocks and road salt.

8. I notice when big RV's are brought in new from the factory to dealerships they have big sheets of adhesive skin type plastic covering the windows and side panels during transport. Can a I guy buy that stuff anywhere and maybe apply it to the bow of the hull for gel coat protection? I'll be purchasing or fabbing up a rock tamer type mud flap set up as well.

Let's Hear it from the Crew!!! Thanks a ton The Malibu Crew has been invaluable on this quest for the BU :rockon::werule:

I can't answer very ,many of your questions except to say I would take the flatter route through the Dakotas. For travel of that distance in the weather you are expecting it might be worth looking into getting the boat into a large U Haul or Ridder truck. I'm not sure that it would even fit, the beam of the 23 is pretty wide as is the with of the trailer.

If going with a box truck wont work you should be able to get the boat shrink wrapped for travel. This would protect most of the boat and your cover as well.

Be careful and welcome to the crew.

Well it looks like I'm heading south to texas to pick up a Malibu :whistle: , I recently posted about possibly purchasing a 2008 23 LSV that was located in Eugene Oregon, however the further along I went into discussing options the more I realized that there were some missing that I wanted(Power wedge) and by the time I added everything to the boat that I wanted the boat wasn't as good of a deal as I originally thought. I also didn't have a good gut feeling about the boat after talking with the owner an several occasions. Instead I'm purchasing a different boat that is located in Austin Texas and I'm travelling from Edmonton Alberta( I know I'm a little :crazy: ). SO I'm a first time boat owner and have a few questions about this en-devour.

As a Canadian buying a boat in th US what are the hurdles and costs involved in bring the boat home?

1. Any sales tax when buying privately in Texas?NO

2. Is there separate titles for trailer and boat?YES

3. Do I pay import tax/fees for the value of the trailer at CND/US border and pay GST/sales tax on the value of the boat at time of registration when home in Alberta?

You Pay GSTon the Value of the BOAT AND TRAILER at the border and the RIV fee($208) online at www.riv.ca

4 what other pit falls or costs besides travel? Pulling a boat home in winter just sucks....

5. Easiest route for pulling a boat home? I looked on google maps and it gives two routes which are nearly the same distance however one is goes south through Montana Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico and the other is further east through North and south Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma. I've never traveled these area's I'm assuming the second option through the Dakotas would be flatter and less hills and I would get better millage, what do you guys figure is the beast route this time of year. I drove to Houston last April with a 35' TravelTrailer and its apretty easy route... Google maps...

6. The boat just had a 200 hr service a few hours ago do I need anything done to the boat besides winterization and Warranty transfer before travelling north.Shouldn't, just make sure it is winterized well and I personally would shrink wrap it.

7. the boat is an 09 23 lsv with a illusion XS tower and 4 wet sounds Pro 60's on the tower. It has the Malibu travel cover. Can I easily take off the Speakers and travel with the tower down and the cover on? If not what is the best option during travel. When I get to Canada guaranteed it will be snowing and crappy road conditions probably around -25 degrees Celsius.If the tower is required to stay up should I bubble wrap the tower and stretch wrap over it with that industrial stretch type packing wrap for protection against rocks and road salt. Absolutely the most protection you can for both the boat and trailer. I would consider leaving it in storage and making the trip in March or April.I would shrink wrap the whole thing. wrap as much of the trailer as you can...

8. I notice when big RV's are brought in new from the factory to dealerships they have big sheets of adhesive skin type plastic covering the windows and side panels during transport. Can a I guy buy that stuff anywhere and maybe apply it to the bow of the hull for gel coat protection? I'll be purchasing or fabbing up a rock tamer type mud flap set up as well. ??? I wrapped my trailer in plastic moving wrap once and it worked quite well.

Let's Hear it from the Crew!!! Thanks a ton The Malibu Crew has been invaluable in this quest for the BU :rockon::werule:

the procedure is pretty painless. in Texas if you are buying from a dealer you will not have to pay state tax, you will give the dealer a copy of your licence, sign some forms stating the boat/trailer won't be used in Texas and you are done. If buying privately, you won't pay tax. Just make sure the plate that is on the vehicle is current and run that plate all the way home.

At the border you will pay GST on both the boat and trailer. You will also have to get the trailer inspected, i think within 45 days, to ensure it meets CD specifications. The trailer must have the the certificate of compliance attached to it (the sticker that shows GVWR and states that it was built to the standards of where it was manufactured).

At the border have a copy of the ad or the website to verify purchase price. They are concerned about falsified bills of sale.

If it was me, i would fly down to inspect and buy the boat, put it in locked storage until April and then drive down to get it. Storage will be probably 100-150 a month. Pulling a boat back in the winter with all the pebbles and sand that you will encounter doesn't sound like a good idea, you don't want to be getting a bunch of rock chips in your boat and/or trailer.

I always tow with the tower up. I have used that slightly tacky plastic stuff they use on RV floors (to protect them while on the showroom floor), for on the tower as well as along the top of the windshield and on the SS rails to prevent abrasion from the stock cover. I don't do that anymore as i have a evolution cover...something you might consider getting before picking up the boat. The stock one isn't really made for towing. If towing with the stock cover you might also consider wrapping the boat around and around at the rubrail so the stock cover won't scratch the gel above the rubrail.

Good Luck. Have you checked with Wizard Lake, they are pretty good to deal with.

Edited by Cervelo

I bought my boat in Colorado a couple seasons ago. When you buy the boat you need to get the trailer title, and a bill of sale of the boat and trailer (try to get these separate); whether or not the boat has a title will depend on Texas state law. When you get to the border you will be taxed on both the boat and the trailer (as well as any other goodies you buy above and beyond your "limit"). You'll also need to pay RIV fees (around $200) to have the trailer imported and inspected federally. To register the boat you will need the bill of sale (at least that is all you need in Sask).

I brought my boat up from California, deep down in California, I live up in vancouver.

The process went very well, however I put a bunch of time into it, re taxes, boat trailer, boat, insurance, permits to move through states, etc.....not sure how the HST now plays into this. Title is important make sure u get that.

I had the boat shipped to Oregon, picked it up there and pulled it myself across the boarder. Guess what I am saying is I would have it shipped, pulling a boat that far in the winter or early spring will for sure hammer the trailer and boat. If you do this absolutely have it shrink wrapped with the tower down and wrapped as well. They have aluminum brackets that bolt the tower in the down position. Would NOT trailer with the standard malibu cover that distance.

I kept the brackets, if you want them I am happy to let you have them just pm me. any other questions re insurance taxes etc again just pm me.

hope u get it.............

I brought my boat up from California, deep down in California, I live up in vancouver.

The process went very well, however I put a bunch of time into it, re taxes, boat trailer, boat, insurance, permits to move through states, etc.....not sure how the HST now plays into this. Title is important make sure u get that.

I had the boat shipped to Oregon, picked it up there and pulled it myself across the boarder. Guess what I am saying is I would have it shipped, pulling a boat that far in the winter or early spring will for sure hammer the trailer and boat. If you do this absolutely have it shrink wrapped with the tower down and wrapped as well. They have aluminum brackets that bolt the tower in the down position. Would NOT trailer with the standard malibu cover that distance.

I kept the brackets, if you want them I am happy to let you have them just pm me. any other questions re insurance taxes etc again just pm me.

hope u get it.............

Make sure you get BOTH title. One for the boat and one for the trailer.

This winter transport was causing me great anxiety, I think the new plan will be fly down make the transaction, transfer warranty and put the boat in storage until the snow is gone, then drive down in April and pick it up once the snow is gone. After all not much boating in Alberta anytime soon :biggrin: Anybody know of a trust worthy reasonably priced Boat storage in Austin Texas?

Someone in Texas can confirm, but I don't think they have trailer titles there.

All trailers (I believe) come with a Manufacturer State of Origin or MSO.. That is considered the Title and will work at the border.. I purchased a car hauler to put my minivan on in Dallas and it came with an MSO.

I brought mine up from the US. some experiences and thoughts.

- have both titles (if there is no title in texas, check with Border Services on what they will expect)

- ensure all liens are released

-have a copy or your ad and comparables at the border. They want to see you can prove you have a properly prices boat. Mine was $25 K less than the Canadian equivalent so I got investigated at the border. That's an adventure as border guards have more power the police, they can investigate and seize without a warrant(probable cause) or even notify you are being investigated. I had my binder with all my info seized. Best thing to do at the border.. TELL THE TRUTH!!!!

- There is no need to pre clearance your boat and trailer like a car... just show up at the border.

- I would DEFINITELY store until April... I towed my boat from Edmonton to Red Deer today and it was unnerving... in the city everytime you touch the brakes the traction control came on as the truck as now I had to try and stop double the weight on ice. We bought a truck and RV in Ohio and I have them stored until April.

- The warranty transfer will cost you about $800.00 for the inspection and transfer fees but in my mind well worth it. I don't know if you can transfer the warranty down there on a boat to be owned in Canada (hopefully your research has confirmed). I had my Canadian dealer do it. Many dealers including our local dealer now charge $250-$500 for every warranty claim on a US as an administration charge and our dealer will charge you the full price of the repair and reimburse you once they are reimbursed by Malibu (sometimes many months later).

- For the cost it is worth it but you need to be willing to have to jump through a few more hoops on warranty etc. Be respectful to your new dealer, I have a great relationship with them, they treat me very well, I return the respect and they have gone to the plate with Malibu a couple of times for me. They told me stories of some people being jerks with US boats and wanting it all.

-No out of province safety inspection required, just the federal RIV inspection which is part of your $208 RIV Fee.

and not to beat a dead horse but WAIT TILL APRIL!!!

Good luck wit the purchase.

I brought mine up from the US. some experiences and thoughts.

- have both titles (if there is no title in texas, check with Border Services on what they will expect)

- ensure all liens are released

-have a copy or your ad and comparables at the border. They want to see you can prove you have a properly prices boat. Mine was $25 K less than the Canadian equivalent so I got investigated at the border. That's an adventure as border guards have more power the police, they can investigate and seize without a warrant(probable cause) or even notify you are being investigated. I had my binder with all my info seized. Best thing to do at the border.. TELL THE TRUTH!!!!

- There is no need to pre clearance your boat and trailer like a car... just show up at the border.

- I would DEFINITELY store until April... I towed my boat from Edmonton to Red Deer today and it was unnerving... in the city everytime you touch the brakes the traction control came on as the truck as now I had to try and stop double the weight on ice. We bought a truck and RV in Ohio and I have them stored until April.

- The warranty transfer will cost you about $800.00 for the inspection and transfer fees but in my mind well worth it. I don't know if you can transfer the warranty down there on a boat to be owned in Canada (hopefully your research has confirmed). I had my Canadian dealer do it. Many dealers including our local dealer now charge $250-$500 for every warranty claim on a US as an administration charge and our dealer will charge you the full price of the repair and reimburse you once they are reimbursed by Malibu (sometimes many months later).

- For the cost it is worth it but you need to be willing to have to jump through a few more hoops on warranty etc. Be respectful to your new dealer, I have a great relationship with them, they treat me very well, I return the respect and they have gone to the plate with Malibu a couple of times for me. They told me stories of some people being jerks with US boats and wanting it all.

-No out of province safety inspection required, just the federal RIV inspection which is part of your $208 RIV Fee.

and not to beat a dead horse but WAIT TILL APRIL!!!

Good luck wit the purchase.

That is another question I had, were do I check that the boat is free of all liens?

That is another question I had, were do I check that the boat is free of all liens?

The title should be signed off and you can do a lien search at the Texas DMV or agency that manages titles..takes a couple of days.

Edited by G-Mack

Best of luck to you, sounds like quite the process but hopefully you'll be able to enjoy your time in the travels. Hope it all works out in the end for you :thumbup: .

honestly, a shipping company that ships boats in the long run, will almost cost the same depending on how you want to do your trip. with restaurant meals, and hotel stays, vehicle maintanence, and gas. the cost is close. i figured in the long run i only saved 300$ by going and getting mine myself. if the boat is at a dealers. pay for it and make it part of the deal for storage. my boat sat fully paid for,in my name, with insurance for almost 2 months befor i actually picked it up. when you pick it up, make sure its winterized. unless you know theres no risk of freezing as you bring it into canada.

When I purchased my boat in the U.S., I contracted a Marine Surveyor to check over the boat before I went to get it. It was a $300 piece of insurance. If you are buying from a dealer, then I'd get them to throw in storage for a few months. No way I'd trailer a boat into Alberta in the winter.

I bought my boat and paid a shipper $700 to haul it up to the border south of Cranbrook BC (24 hour port of Entry). I arrived at the border about 20 minutes before the It took 15 minutes to cross the border. Looks like you've got all the info you need from other posters. It realy is a piece of cake, just have all your documentation. I had a file that even included all my pre sale email communication and a copy of the money order.

Idefinitely concur with other posters....when you add up the cost of fuel, hotel, meals and wear and tear on your vehicle its realy worth considering having it shipped/towed to the border. Also, hauling a boat when it's -25 can lead to serious gel coat cracking. Trust me...I know from experience. I had a 21 foot Chapparral that the dealer moved in November a couple years back (between Calgary and Airdrie where they had a fiberglass guy that they contracted to power polish out some minor dock scratches) It was 25 below zero and I ended up with a pile of spiderweb gel coat cracks around the tower and windshield. Thankfully the dealer accepted responsibility and did the repairs.

Definitely wait until it's warmer...Enjoy your new boat!!!!

Well the Deal was finalized just now on Ebay $56000 :yahoo: for the O9 23 LSV I fly down on Jan 31st stay for 3 days to make payment and get all the I's dotted and T's crossed and tucked away till I can take her home in 3 damn long months. I appreciate everyones advice keep it comin. I look forward to soon being productive contributing element of this great malibu resource! :werule: Best of all I have two young boys age 5 and 3 who are going to grow up on a malibu :rockon:

-CamD

Magnum trailers, Magnum web page link

I can tell you from past experience that Magnum makes a quality trailer and they are located in San Antonio...not far from Austin, so if the trailer needed any work I would contact them and have it done while you wait for summer to arrive, dealer could arrange to have this done for you.

I can tell you that any trailer with a GCWR greater than 4,000 lbs will have a title in the state of Texas, so be sure you get that signed as well. If you have any doubt get the trailer serial number and call Magnum directly to verify.

I have serval famiily member in and around the Austin area one of which is a fellow crew member, so if you need anything I can put you in touch.

Congrats on the purchase, btw I would verify that whatever transport company you use puts it in writing that your boat will be carried (not towed), as I have heard some bad stories. I would think that CTWS would be able to help you locate a reputable carrier.

Well I'm in need of some direction Payment. How should I make this transaction the safest possible. I will be in person at time of payment.

Payment time rolls around the boat is owned by him and the UFCU he owes $1000 more than I'm purchasing the boat for and he is going to cover the difference inorder for me to gain clear title. Who do I wire the money too?

He suggested we can go to his bank in the morning together and I can wire the purchase amount to his account He will withdraw a cashiers cheque for the full amount oweing on the boat and we will proceed together to UFCU where the boat was financed through and present payment to gain the clear boat title. Then complete the bill of sale and the transaction will be complete.

Does this sound appropriate Or should I be wiring the money to UFCU and He just writes a check for the additional amount owing. Or does it really matter? Tell me how this payment should be looked after to make it the safest possible for myself.

Edited by mac19