Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you like your VLX?

Fman

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a newer VLX this spring, probably a 2010-11. I wanted to get some honest feedback from BU owners on what you like and do not like about your VLX. The boat i am considering has these options, Maliview, wedge, 1250lb ballast, spinner racks, 3 vent heater.

I currently own a 2008 Supra 22SSV, really like the boat, dont have much to complain about, one of my biggest gripes is the ballast system is antiquated. You are not able to select certain tanks to fill/drain to fine tune the boat in. I really like the Z-5 cargo rack and from what I have been told Malibu does not offer a Z-5. The Supra seems to be weight sensitive on the wake and how clean it is, especially below 22MPH. After 22MPH it seems to dont be a problem. How is the stock surf wake on the VLX without bags?

Anyway, if you can give me any feedback on the pro's and con's of the VLX it would be much appreciated. I got towed by an '09 23 LSV last year and though the wake was nice, not sure how much different the VLX would be.

Thanks for any feedback.

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a newer VLX this spring, probably a 2010-11. I wanted to get some honest feedback from BU owners on what you like and do not like about your VLX. The boat i am considering has these options, Maliview, wedge, 1250lb ballast, spinner racks, 3 vent heater.

I currently own a 2008 Supra 22SSV, really like the boat, dont have much to complain about, one of my biggest gripes is the ballast system is antiquated. You are not able to select certain tanks to fill/drain to fine tune the boat in. I really like the Z-5 cargo rack and from what I have been told Malibu does not offer a Z-5. The Supra seems to be weight sensitive on the wake and how clean it is, especially below 22MPH. After 22MPH it seems to dont be a problem. How is the stock surf wake on the VLX without bags?

Anyway, if you can give me any feedback on the pro's and con's of the VLX it would be much appreciated. I got towed by an '09 23 LSV last year and though the wake was nice, not sure how much different the VLX would be.

Thanks for any feedback.

The new VLX and LSV are alot more similar than they've ever been in the past, but still different. The vlx wake is a little narrower than the lsv, and of course 1.5' shorter in length. IMO the VLX is a far superior wakeboat than the supra, you'll have a clean wake from 17+ mph in my experience with them. This includes the new hull (09+). Stock surf wake, not to sure but with just one 750 sac it's awesome.

I don't think there are any cons with the new VLX, well other than if you want a bigger boat. Sounds like you're getting all the goodies for options.

Check out this review liljohn and I did back in 08'.

Edited by 06vlx

Hello,

Thanks for any feedback.

Newer? That sounds like brand new.

The nice thing about all the VLX's is that they aren't as sensitive to weight distribution as other companies. You hardly ever have to move people around to even out the wake. The interior is pretty big too for the size of the boat. The only thing I don't care for is the sterreo options but they are bearable. Also storage wise you cannot beat the G3 tower. It folds in 30 seconds with one person.

You can get a Z5 if you really want one. I had one on my 2006 LSV with an Ilusion tower.

Hello,

Thanks for any feedback.

I have only had a few boats, 1996 Ski Sanger, 2004 VLX , & Now My 2010 VLX. The 2004 VLX Blows my old Sanger out of the water. so really no comparison. But the overall differance from my 04 to my 2010 in smoother ride, more room and just overall fit & finnish is nicer. My buddy had a Supra I think an 09 and I Was not impressed at all, lots of plastic in the interior and not quite as smooth. he actually sold that boat and is going to get a VLX. Plus there is always Major style points for owning a Bu......I know because every time I past one or saw one on the lake I drooled, & told my family " One Day We will have one of Them Malibu's.... I will never look back...

They are amazing boats. The 22SSV is a pretty fine boat too imo.

Maliview, G-3, and the new racks my favorites so far for ease of use.

Power wedge is great for surfing.

After paying all that money, I absolutely hated the glove box not staying shut and the wind dam sliding down. I modified both of those in short order.

I winnterized her a couple of months back and ended up liking her even more. I did have a bit of hard time getting into the starboard storage compartment though.

Overall, very satisfied with the boat. Had a great season and looking forward to many more.

After paying all that money, I absolutely hated the glove box not staying shut and the wind dam sliding down. I modified both of those in short order.

I winnterized her a couple of months back and ended up liking her even more. I did have a bit of hard time getting into the starboard storage compartment though.

Overall, very satisfied with the boat. Had a great season and looking forward to many more.

Your right...those two things annoy the crap outta me aswell...I'll add another one being the mess that they call wiring....

What did you do to fix the wind dam from sliding down?

What did you do to fix the wind dam from sliding down?

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate all the input. Malibu seems to produce a very high end boat, I really like the Maliview option and the quad ballast feature. If you have any other pro's and con's to the boat or items you wish you had ordered please post them up.

For the wind dam, a local plastics shop made a quarter inch piece that goes around the top of it. At the two ends it extends out by about half an inch. When the dam is installed, the two ends rest on top of the channels at the walkthrough. The plastic they used has a finish very similar to that of the tower, so it looks stock. I had to drill through the dam which is also plastic. I used stainless fasteners and covered them with black plastisol. It looks pretty good, and leaves virtually no gap between the windshield and the dam. Total cost was about 80 bucks.

You can sort of see it on the last photo in my boat house. I'll be off work Monday and try to post some better pics of it.