Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Evolution boat cover

pkemper1

I have a slight problem with the cover and was wondering if anyone else with this cover had a simular issue. I left my boat at the local dealer for repairs, and when I went to check on the progress and found the cover was not reinstalled properly (due to lazyness or they didn't know how to install correctly). So now with the straps pulled its not tight and water pools. In other words its streched and not shedding water. Is there a fix for this or does the dealer owe me a new cover? I have not talked to Cory yet.

I have a slight problem with the cover and was wondering if anyone else with this cover had a simular issue. I left my boat at the local dealer for repairs, and when I went to check on the progress and found the cover was not reinstalled properly (due to lazyness or they didn't know how to install correctly). So now with the straps pulled its not tight and water pools. In other words its streched and not shedding water. Is there a fix for this or does the dealer owe me a new cover? I have not talked to Cory yet.

Have you re-adjusted the rub rail hooks?

Im interested too, When I trailered my boat for the first time my cover seemed to stretch slightly. I didnt know that the rub rail hooks were adjustable... I tighteded those up and it really made a difference.

Either way Cory will make it right.

Im interested too, When I trailered my boat for the first time my cover seemed to stretch slightly. I didnt know that the rub rail hooks were adjustable... I tighteded those up and it really made a difference.

Either way Cory will make it right.

Yup, that's an honest oversight, and since the cover is probably new to him and with all the snow they got in the area I bet the velcro slipped under the weight.

If there was a snow load on the cover I bet the sunbrella stretched. One afternoon out in the sun will shrink it back again. These covers are not made to have snow piled up on them.

I've had mine pool up a few times, and it gets stretched out. I just prop something underneath it, tighten it up, and the thing comes back into shape again after a few hours/days in descent weather.

If my boat is parked facing downhill & we get a downpour or almost any amount of snow, then it will pool up. I can put a noodle (one of those swimming toys) on top of the engine cover & it's enough support that almost any rain will never pool up. Or I put a tube on the rear seat & it's held up under a couple inches of snow without a problem. Or I can park so the boat is pointed up hill, or crank up the tongue wheel & nothing will pool up.

Yup, that's an honest oversight, and since the cover is probably new to him and with all the snow they got in the area I bet the velcro slipped under the weight.

I didn't know the side anchors where adjustable, I noticed the cover before all the snow we just got.

If there was a snow load on the cover I bet the sunbrella stretched. One afternoon out in the sun will shrink it back again. These covers are not made to have snow piled up on them.

We had about 5 inches of snow a few days ago. My son and I went out every few hours and cleared the cover with a broom. Just didn't want to take a chance on stretching.

I've had this problem since the first winter I owned mine. When I prep it for winter storage, I have to rig up some extra support underneath to stop it from happening. Once it dries out, the cover visually snaps back to looking pretty smooth, but the same weak spots still develop the puddles pretty easily. What sucks is that, if I don't get to storage soon after a rain storm, the puddle can get pretty deep and it slowly drips through and gets the inside of the boat wet. I also seem to get a lot of leakage near the back of the cover. The tray above the engine always has water after a big storm.

I've had this problem since the first winter I owned mine. When I prep it for winter storage, I have to rig up some extra support underneath to stop it from happening. Once it dries out, the cover visually snaps back to looking pretty smooth, but the same weak spots still develop the puddles pretty easily. What sucks is that, if I don't get to storage soon after a rain storm, the puddle can get pretty deep and it slowly drips through and gets the inside of the boat wet. I also seem to get a lot of leakage near the back of the cover. The tray above the engine always has water after a big storm.

You should also have a discussion with Cory.

I have a slight problem with the cover and was wondering if anyone else with this cover had a similar issue. I left my boat at the local dealer for repairs, and when I went to check on the progress and found the cover was not reinstalled properly (due to laziness or they didn't know how to install correctly). So now with the straps pulled its not tight and water pools. In other words its stretched and not shedding water. Is there a fix for this or does the dealer owe me a new cover? I have not talked to Cory yet.

Did you find the fix? I sure like others have stated it is just miss adjusted.

For what it's worth, I don't care what cover you have, if you have a few inch's of snow on a cover with out a center post, IT WILL SAG. If you are having a little problem with the cover try some of the suggestions above or just give Cory a call, he has helped out many of people with proper installation.

I see you have the 07 VLX, do you put the ski pylon up or down? Modles that have the pylon that can move need to be in the up positon when storing.

If you still have a problem, give Cory a call so he can help you out.

A few things to do before calling, E-mail many of pictures of the problem area and the sides of the boat with the cover on. Some time's the cover will strecth from over tighting, letting snow/water build up ect... and this can be fixed with out a problem.

Just pulled up my instalation instructions and thought I would point out a few high lights.

I forgot that you need to wash and recoat the cover from time to time as well.

Evolution Covers

Important! Read!

Putting your cover on

Start at the nose and roll the cover to the back. If applicable secure around the tower legs. Secure the back corners of the cover on the boat. Then secure the tension straps. These should all be taut. A good way to check taut is to put the cover on and secure the tension straps then pour a small amount of water onto the windshield area. If the water stops before it hits the ground tighten the straps. Caution: do not over tighten the tension straps, as this will unnecessarily stretch your cover. Finally pull the perimeter rope tightly and secure. If the cover has a fit issue or not shedding water properly upon the first time the cover is used, stop use immediately and notify Evolution Covers.

Adjusting side to side tension

This should be done as necessary to maintain proper tension, or taut, from side to side. Caution: do not over tighten the cover as this will stretch the cover out. With the cover on the boat as described above loosen the perimeter rope. With one hand gently pull the cover away from the boat at the location of the first hook. Holding the hook firmly to the boats rub rail, with you other hand. The velcro will separate then pull the cover down to desired location. Watch that the center seam doesn’t move to far to one side. Continue adjusting at each hook location. Finally retighten the perimeter rope.

Things to remember

 Always close the walk through window before putting the cover on.

 Adjust the front trailer wheel up to help with water run off.

Don’t let snow build up on the cover.

 Make sure you reconnect the perimeter rope (when applicable) while taking the cover off or you may lose it in the pocket.

When possible always adjust the pylon up.

 For models with a motor box that is about 2”-3” from the center seam a towel should be placed across the motor box while towing as a precautionary measure.

 Take note to tension straps when D-rings are used, to refasten the same way.

 If you have questions or concerns ask!

Evolution Covers Warranty

Warranty is valid only if a copy of the invoice for the item purchased is submitted showing date of original purchase. Evolution Covers is limited to the stitching separating. The limited warranty coverage runs for ten years from the date of original installation. Evolution Covers will re-sew separated stitching. Customers responsible for shipping charges.*Any misuse of the covers voids the warranty.

Evolution cover instructions..doc

MODS I think the install and cleaning instruction should be in the DIY Thead.

Found a link to how clean your Sunbrella boat cover. Please read full doc before cleaning.

Remember to use the proper 303 product, some protections can seal up the Sunbrella fabric and make your boat a nice little green house.

SUNBRELLA® IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF GLEN RAVEN, INC.

MARINE TOPS AND COVERS

care and cleaning

One of the best ways to keep Sunbrella® fabrics

looking good and to delay the need for deep or

vigorous cleaning is to hose fabrics off on a monthly

basis with clear water. This practice will help prevent

dirt from becoming deeply embedded in the fabric

and eliminate the need for more frequent vigorous

cleaning. In most environments, a thorough cleaning

will be needed every two to three years.

When its time for a thorough cleaning, Sunbrella

fabrics can be cleaned while still on a boat or, size

permitting, they can be removed for cleaning in

a washing machine or dock side. When cleaning

Sunbrella fabrics, it is important to observe the

following:

Always use a mild soap such as

Ivory Snow, Dreft or Woolite.

Water should be cold to lukewarm

(Never more than 100°F/38°C.)

Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residue.

Air dry only. Never apply heat

to Sunbrella fabrics.

Applying 303 High Tech

Fabric Guard

303 should be applied to Sunbrella fabrics after

each thorough cleaning, which typically removes

the original finish and reduces the fabrics water

repellency.

Clean Sunbrella fabric, using one

of the cleaning methods.

Allow Sunbrella to completely air dry.

Apply 303 Fabric Guard in a well ventilated

area following instructions on the container.

Apply 303 in a thin, even coat and

allow fabric to dry completely.

Apply a second thin, even coating of 303.

(Two light coatings are more effective in

restoring fabric water resistance than a single

heavy coating. A 15-ounce bottle provides

coverage of up to 50 square feet of fabric.)

For more

marine_tops_covers.pdf

Just pulled up my instalation instructions and thought I would point out a few high lights.

I forgot that you need to wash and recoat the cover from time to time as well.

Thanks for that! I never received any instructions. The (now defunct) dealer in Sac had the cover on when I picked it up, with the empty box inside and no paperwork. Would have been nice to have what you posted. I never knew I needed to recoat it. That probably explains the little bit of leaking I experience. After reading that, I also wonder if I overstretched it at some point trying to get it really tight, possibly making it worse.

I have always lifted the ski pylon up. This, my fourth Winter with the boat, seems to be the year where my rigging scheme is finally working. We moved this Fall and I found an old cover from my previous boat (SeaRay). It came with support poles that slipped into slots, similar to poles in a tent. Laying those across the big opening of the boat seems to be working pretty well. Nor Cal had a ton of rain last month and I never had more than a small, shallow puddle.

In all my boating years, I've never had covers that worked perfectly, so I never even thought to call about the issue. Anyway, at this point I have a system that works for now. I'm actually hoping to replace this one soon with one of the covers I've seen on this forum that also go over the tower.

Just a note.... regarding the use of tent style poles on any boat cover. If the cover somehow manages to puddle up at all, like if it snows a bit, then the poles have a tendency to punch thru the cover, allowing the cover to drop & creating a big hole in the cover. Using any type of support that spreads that load over a much larger area is ideal. Like I said before, I put a tube in the boat on the back seat so that load is spread out over several sq feet.

As far as resealing the Sunbrella, I see 303 Protectant recommended a lot. My local upholstery shop also recommended a product called Aquatite, which is what I've used several times. The stuff is amazing & will waterproof a paper towel. :crazy:

For our customers that have to store outside during the winter, we've been setting up with one of these strap cover supports. They are not something you would want to put up and take down every time you get in and out of the boat but for a once a year winter storage solution they work really well.

With the illusion towers its pretty hard to avoid puddling behind the tower feet and eventually a little puddle turns into a big one after a big rain storm or snow fall.

-Paul

For our customers that have to store outside during the winter, we've been setting up with one of these strap cover supports. They are not something you would want to put up and take down every time you get in and out of the boat but for a once a year winter storage solution they work really well.

With the illusion towers its pretty hard to avoid puddling behind the tower feet and eventually a little puddle turns into a big one after a big rain storm or snow fall.

-Paul

Excellent point Paul. For daily use this would be a real pain. But for long term storage outside it just makes sense.

You should also have a discussion with Cory.

I talked to Cory the other day and all I have to say is CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! if anyone want to buy a new cover the customer service at evolution (cory) is worth it alone. I'm waiting to see what the dealer will do first but now I have options

THANK YOU CORY

Just a note.... regarding the use of tent style poles on any boat cover. If the cover somehow manages to puddle up at all, like if it snows a bit, then the poles have a tendency to punch thru the cover, allowing the cover to drop & creating a big hole in the cover. Using any type of support that spreads that load over a much larger area is ideal. Like I said before, I put a tube in the boat on the back seat so that load is spread out over several sq feet.

As far as resealing the Sunbrella, I see 303 Protectant recommended a lot. My local upholstery shop also recommended a product called Aquatite, which is what I've used several times. The stuff is amazing & will waterproof a paper towel. :crazy:

Cory will sew in a webbing loop in the middle of the cover so that when you are rolling out the cover, front to back, when you get to under the tower you just slip a piece of rope (with a loop on one end), that is tied to the webbing loop, over the tow ball on the tower. When adjusted to the right height it will provide the same kind of look that you get from the straps that Paul posted up (it lifts the cover up, under the tower).

I know, i overused the word loop, but i hope my description was clear enough.

Edited by Cervelo