Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing steering cable

hi Guys, this is my first posting and I am seeking advise on how to replace the steering cable in my 2002 Sportster, are there any little tricks or complications I need to look out for or is it just a matter of undoing a few nuts and bolts, and putting them back together in the same format?

Can’t speak for your boat directly but I replaced mine on a 99 Sunsetter. Very easy to do. Unhook it at both ends and tie a rope to the end being pulled through. Then use the rope to pull the new one through. I completed mine in no time. Check you the resource section and you’ll find more detailed information.

And welcome to the crew. You'll be sorry later. :crazy::biggrin:

Just in case you need to know how to replace it.

I have removed two just this yr and did the last one in 1.7 hrs. yep less then book time. To remove the steering cable start off by removing the 4 bolts off the steering box on the back side of the steering wheel. Follow the cable to where it enters the floor and make sure to remove any heaters, subs or what not in the way. Next remove the end of the cable from the rudder. Follow the end of the cable up to the mounting plate and you will find a nut on each side of the plate. Do not remove or adjust them. About one foot up from the mounting bracket you will find a chrome looking nut. Unscrew the nut and pull cable out of the mounting plate assy. Now tie and tape a piece of weed eater string, rope or some thing so that you can pull the new cable back to the rear of the boat. Before pulling the cable make sure the rudder end of the cable is pushed in so that the end shaft is very short. If you don’t do this part you will have problems pulling the last part of the cable out of the floor hole up front. Now head back under the dash to start pulling on the cable while the other person is feeding the pull rope. The last foot of the cable is the hardest to pull out of the hole and will take a little bending.

After removing the cable you will find # ( Example Teleflex SSC13419 ) near the end of cable. Then call up your dealer, ski dim or go2marine to order the new cable.

Now with the new cable tie and tape the rope back the end of the cable. Have one person start pulling on the rope while you start feeding in the cable. NOTE make sure the rope is pulling the cable or you could put the cable on the wrong side of some wiring. Once you pull the cable all the way to the back reinstall the cable and steering mount.

Steering wheel alignment.

When out on the water and in a safe spot. Drive straight at about 25MPH. When up to speed note the position of the steering wheel. Hold the steering wheel so that you keep going straight (do not turn). Stop the boat and turn off. Remove the steering box on the back side of the steering wheel. Once the box is removed, turn steering wheel straight and reassemble.

Sorry for the long read but I wanted to make this of the first timers. Let me know if I need to make any changes so that we could put this in the DIY area.

Before pulling the cable make sure the rudder end of the cable is pushed in so that the end shaft is very short. If you don’t do this part you will have problems pulling the last part of the cable out of the floor hole up front.

not that I would know :whistle:

Great write up Goose :salute:

I have removed two just this yr and did the last one in 1.7 hrs. yep less then book time. To remove the steering cable start off by removing the 4 bolts off the steering box on the back side of the steering wheel. Follow the cable to where it enters the floor and make sure to remove any heaters, subs or what not in the way. Next remove the end of the cable from the rudder. Follow the end of the cable up to the mounting plate and you will find a nut on each side of the plate. Do not remove or adjust them. About one foot up from the mounting bracket you will find a chrome looking nut. Unscrew the nut and pull cable out of the mounting plate assy. Now tie and tape a piece of weed eater string, rope or some thing so that you can pull the new cable back to the rear of the boat. Before pulling the cable make sure the rudder end of the cable is pushed in so that the end shaft is very short. If you don’t do this part you will have problems pulling the last part of the cable out of the floor hole up front. Now head back under the dash to start pulling on the cable while the other person is feeding the pull rope. The last foot of the cable is the hardest to pull out of the hole and will take a little bending.

After removing the cable you will find # ( Example Teleflex SSC13419 ) near the end of cable. Then call up your dealer, ski dim or go2marine to order the new cable.

Now with the new cable tie and tape the rope back the end of the cable. Have one person start pulling on the rope while you start feeding in the cable. NOTE make sure the rope is pulling the cable or you could put the cable on the wrong side of some wiring. Once you pull the cable all the way to the back reinstall the cable and steering mount.

When out on the water and in a safe spot. Drive straight at about 25MPH. When up to speed note the position of the steering wheel. Hold the steering wheel so that you keep going straight (do not turn). Stop the boat and turn off. Remove the steering box on the back side of the steering wheel. Once the box is removed, turn steering wheel straight and reassemble.

Sorry for the long read but I wanted to make this of the first timers. Let me know if I need to make any changes so that we could put this in the DIY area.

Hi there All!!

Thanks for all the information here... I too need to replace the steering cable in a 99 response lx but am having problems in actually being able to reach the connection point at the rudder! Do you suggest taking the back seat out? Or are my arms simply too short!? There is very limited room between the exhaust muffers and bottom of fuel tank. Any more tips?

Thanks Rhyno5. Melbourne Australia.

Hi there All!!

Thanks for all the information here... I too need to replace the steering cable in a 99 response lx but am having problems in actually being able to reach the connection point at the rudder! Do you suggest taking the back seat out? Or are my arms simply too short!? There is very limited room between the exhaust muffers and bottom of fuel tank. Any more tips?

Thanks Rhyno5. Melbourne Australia.

I can be done. It is tight and you have to lay on the floor and smash your face into the backrest, but it can be done. It may be helpful if you have an extra set of eyes. If your arms are in far enough to reach the rudder you probably wont be able to get your head down there as well.

Nice write up, taking the time to do something like this is what makes this forum awesome.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the instructions D-GOOSE...

Had to remove my Sub as you mentioned above but I still had a hard time getting the cable to move. I't wasn't untill Woody pointed out an added shelf that had been fiberglassed in that I found my snag. My cable was wedged behind this custom shelf/Sub mount :rant:

After prying the cable out everything else went smooth.

• 1 year later...

Guys I'm having trouble getting my old cable disconnected from the "threaded box??? and tube" that is located right before the rudder. I've disconnected it at the rudder and my new cable is already run from the steering wheel. Just this last little disconnect and reattach should do it...but I'm stalled. Any suggestions??? I try to wrench it, but the entire mechanism just spins. I also read that the nut needs to be cut off. Is this true? Any help would be appreciated.!

No, don't cut the nut off. Get a cloth and a monkey wrench. Clasp the monkey wrench on the "threaded box" using the cloth so you don't damage the thread. Now use both wrenches to get the nut off. It will come. I've just done this myself.

Regards

Ade

Here is a dumb question but what are the symptoms leading up to replacing the steering cable?? My steering wheel seems to stick at all speeds when making a turn and would assume this has to do with the steering cable needing replacement. I assume I can get the cable at Bakes or from the dealer? Thanks in advance.

Should turn with a single finger at any speed and it shouldn't stick at any speed. I needed two hands to get my 2003 SSLXI to turn. New cable via Amazon and it's back to normal. Easy to replace with two people (one on each end). A good pair of bolt cutters would help as well. I cut the rack off and taped the new cable to the old cable and pulled the set through and out the stern.

Had the distinct pleasure of replacing mine for the second time in as many years two weeks ago; so take my thoughts for what they are worth:

• Consider getting the TFXtreme version of the steering cable, if available. I replaced with the stock part last year, and it pooped out over the winter. And no, I had no standing water on the cable or any other reason it should have locked up so quickly. For the few extra bucks, I'm thinking (and hoping) the splined center will be less prone to freezing
  • The first time I pulled the cable through, the nut tore up my PerfectPass cables as it passed by them. I taped over the nut with duct tape this time to help it slide by, and it seemed to save them
  • Maybe other folks had different experience, but pulling the rudder end of the cable through the hole in the floor (getting it to round the corner) was a major pain. This time, I used my Dremel to put a reverse chamfer on the hole (opening to the bottom - the hole didnt get any bigger on the carpeted side). That made all the difference, and the new one dropped in slick as duck crap. Well worth 5 minutes.

• 1 year later...

This was an extremely helpful writeup. Had my cable out in no time following DGOOSE's instructions. Now I am impatiently waiting on the new one to get here so I can finish up the job. I just hope the new one goes in as easy as the old one came out.