Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Snap On Bow and Cockpit Cover

TheHardWay

I have been considering having a snap on bow and cockpit cover made for my boat, but have some concerns. Late July and August is our monsoon season around here. Often times, I run into torrential down pours while trailering the boat back from the lakes which is about a 45 minute drive. As some of you may know, the interior can take a beating/soaking from this kind of rain while going down the road. I have a Malibu boat cover that came with the boat that secures around the rub rail and fastens to the trailer. Not the best for travel since the straps that secure to the trailer vibrate in the wind and rub the gel coat. The way I see it, I have two options. 1) Don't go out if there is a chance of rain that day. 2) Get a snap on cover made. The first option isn't a very viable one, so that brings me to the snap on option. Of course, there is always the age old pet peeve of having snaps drilled and rivited into your boat's fiberglass, and being somewhat of an eye sore. I agree, that they are kind of ugly, however, not as ugly as having a trashed interior. My major concern is the fact that I have heard of people getting hair-line stress fractures in the gelcoat/fiberglass around where the snaps are installed on the boat. I would guess this is caused by the canvas expanding and contracting in different temperatures? Anyone experience this first hand? My boat is always stored out of the elements in a temperature controlled garage, year round, so if temperature extremes are the cause of this, I might be safe???

What are your thoughts on these types of covers? Anyone get one installed after they bought the boat? Cost? I am guessing around $1200. Pictures?

I found this one on the internet and is similar to what I want if I go this route.

2010-VLX-1.jpg

I also found these ones from Bakes. http://www.bakesmarine.com/BoatCanvas/

Anyone have one? It looks to me like there would be some risk of the canvas to flap/vibrate in the wind and rub the gel coat.

I have a bow cover on my 05 vlx and love it. No problems with hairline cracks due to snaps. If properly installed, there should be no issue. I tow with mine and use it on coller mornings....love it!

I experienced the same dilemma. My former boat had a cockpit and bow cover and it was excellent for travel and securing for storms while moored. I was swayed rather harshly that I did not want to have snaps installed on my new Malibu (everyone has an opinion). I finally decided that I wasn’t going to worry what another owner did and that I was going to do what I wanted based upon my own rationalizations. Finally I decided to buy an expensive travel cover—like those at Bakes. In fact—I have both the canvas and the lighter one with the Malibu logo. I only cover the boat when I know I am going to experience weather—I keep it handy while traveling if we hit the unexpected storms. Even though these covers are made for tailoring you still get wear. There are a lot of discussions out there on this. I’ll even go as far as putting the blue masking tape on the higher wear areas. I’ve even also taped base pate foam (the foam you apply on your bottom 2X4s or 2X6s when constructing new walls) in higher wear areas. I also bring a buffer and wax—as I said the travel covers still wear. Bottom-line it is your boat—if you don’t mind the snaps then get the bow and cockpit cover—otherwise invest in the travel cover.

We've got a snap on bow cover that came with our Sunsetter. I use it in the late fall and early spring when the wind whipping through the walkway is ice cold. It keeps the air behind the windshield tolerable.

For towing in the weather I use an Evolution cover there is nothing better. It keeps the boat spotless inside in the worst rains. The bow cover wouldn't be too good for keeping the water out as the water would easily come in between the snaps.

I had snap on cockpit & bow covers on my MC. After a few years a bunch of the holes drilled for the snaps began cracking. Plus they would occasionally get snagged on whatever we had sliding across them, shorts, coolers, etc. After the cracks I swore I would walk away from buying any boat with them.

The Vride doesn't have any snaps. Love the clean look across the bow with no snaps or rails. I have the Rankin cover, which is the predecessor to Cory & the Evolution. It's like 4 yrs old now, still looks great. We towed the boat, fully loaded & covered, to Hells Canyon this year (8 or 9 hr drive) & had no problems.

IMG_2020Large.jpg

I have thought that I wanted a bow cover though. Just haven't been able to get past the snaps. The fiberglass cover on the Malibu Corvette is pretty appealing if it could be cleanly removed without a lot of hardware left behind. One of the guys on Wakeworld made one a few months ago. Haven't seen many pics of how he did it though.

i trailered mine about a dozen times last year with an evolution cover and not one mark on the boat. My boat is in the salt water most of the time so I can not even consider snaps. however thought I would chime in and comment that the evo cover is solid and quick to put on.

Thanks for the input everyone. Those Evolutions look pretty nice. I sent an email and am waiting to hear back. In the mean time, what kind of price tag am I looking at?

Also, I see on their website, if they can get 4 or more orders, they will do volume pricing. Anyone else out there looking for a cover? HINT HINT

I had a snap on cover on an old boat of mine and hated it. It takes a lot of time to snap all of those down and it hurts your thumb after a while (I'm only 32 also). You'd be surprised, but the hassle of the snap on cover did keep us from taking it out some evenings as well. Lastly, if you happen to be putting on/off the cover in wind or in a hurry, the blowing canvas with snaps on it can and will ding your gel coat.

I'd say go Evolution all day!

Paid members get a discount with evolution and you more than make up the cost of your membership with that one purchase. Evo cover should run $800ish +/-

It's super easy to take on and off... I trailer with mine every time (our lakes are all at least an hour away). It maybe adds 3 minutes to the process on each side (in and out of the water). We just roll it up and throw it in the truck.

Thanks for the input everyone. Those Evolutions look pretty nice. I sent an email and am waiting to hear back. In the mean time, what kind of price tag am I looking at?

There is no doubt that Cory will treat you well and you will have the best cover on the market!

I know I said this before but only if he had the pattern for a 2010 247 LSV I would buy......any 247 owners in? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Did you ask him if he patterned a boat yet? Cory is pretty close to Bakes and could probably pattern a 247 at the shop for you. Paul hooked him up with a Skier so he could pattern one for my old boat. Thumbup.gif

Did you ask him if he patterned a boat yet? Cory is pretty close to Bakes and could probably pattern a 247 at the shop for you. Paul hooked him up with a Skier so he could pattern one for my old boat. Thumbup.gif

I asked about 6 months ago...I dd not realize he was that close to Bakes.....Paul is it possible :biggrin:

I had snap on covers on my 08 Mastercraft X2 and they were nice to put on and take off but after three seasons I had 9 boat side snaps that started to have hairline cracks and 4 of the female cover side snaps that tore out of the cover. We live on a lake and the boat is in a lift when not in use. They have been used a great deal, but I really felt they didn't live up to expectations. They were factory installed at Mastercraft. I just ordered a 2011 VTX and I did not do snaps on this boat. Just my opinion and experience.

Thanks for the input. I am pretty set on the Evolution cover now.

You won't be sorry. Not only are the Evolution covers top notch, Cory is one of the best guys in the business to deal with! Rockon.gif

• 1 month later...

Also, I see on their website, if they can get 4 or more orders, they will do volume pricing. Anyone else out there looking for a cover? HINT HINT

Count me in for one if we can get a few more that are interested.

Count me in for one if we can get a few more that are interested.

No group buys this year but give Cory a call. He will treat you very well if you are a crew member!

• 4 months later...

Just bumping this up, I'm looking at an '02 Wakesetter that has a complete snap on cover, and having had snap on covers on previous boats I can say with quite certainty that I hate them so much.

My main problem is when your on the engine pad, if you hang your legs over the side you get the bloody little snaps digging into you! HATE IT!

I think I would keep the bow ones, and have the others removed and fibreglassed over. Has anyone has this done before? Would it be expensive?