Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

mildew treatment for vinyl

Lance B. Johnson

Is there a vinyl treatment available that specifically is used for mildew? My boat never seems to dry out in the mild summers here.

BTW- I am looking at trying to improve the air circulation in the garage as well.

Get one of these dryers. I have the larger one and have been using it for the past 7 yrs or so. I place it on the floor of the boat and then put the cover on after it is plugged in. It makes a huge difference in our part of the world. Prior to using this, I was having problems with the vinyl turning a lovely mildew black, especially over the winter, but have not had that problem at all since using this.

Is there a vinyl treatment available that specifically is used for mildew? My boat never seems to dry out in the mild summers here.

BTW- I am looking at trying to improve the air circulation in the garage as well.

A mild solution of dish soap and bleach works well if you have mildue, but it is best if you wipe er down and prop the seats up to avoid

Get one of these dryers. I have the larger one and have been using it for the past 7 yrs or so. I place it on the floor of the boat and then put the cover on after it is plugged in. It makes a huge difference in our part of the world. Prior to using this, I was having problems with the vinyl turning a lovely mildew black, especially over the winter, but have not had that problem at all since using this.

Duh---I should have thought of that. For 64 bucks its worth every penny. I assume it is best just to place directly in the middle of the floor.

Edited by Ruffdog

Starbrite makes a product that I just saw in a magazine for mildew....here it is. I've heard starbrite products are pretty good.

I've used that exact product. Scared me the first time I sprayed - smelled like bleach! But did no damage. Whatever is in the bottle, it cleaned my seats to look brand new, removing any small mildew spots in the process. I wiped it all down with mild soap and water, and then a vinyl protector after that.

-- Mike

martinarcher

I've mounted a fan in the rafters of the garage. It blows the hot air out of the peak of the garage onto the boat's interior. I run it for three hours on high (on a timer on the wall) and the interior dries really fast this way. It is an old exhaust fan my buddy grabbed our of a scrap pile at a job he was working. I just mounted it to a piece of plywood and screwed it to the rafters and then ran romex down to the control box and fed the entire thing with a wall timer.

image_url-7666-1290555922.jpg

Edited by martinarcher

Duh---I should have thought of that. For 64 bucks its worth every penny. I assume it is best just to place directly in the middle of the floor.

Ruff I've had one of those since 05' and used it in every boat I've had if it gets wet. I put it in there and never had a mold issue. My boat does live in the garage though, but I've used it outside in the boat as well. Always works well.

I've mounted a fan in the rafters of the garage. It blows the hot air out of the peak of the garage onto the boat's interior. I run it for three hours on high (on a timer on the wall) and the interior dries really fast this way. It is an old exhaust fan my buddy grabbed our of a scrap pile at a job he was working. I just mounted it to a piece of plywood and screwed it to the rafters and then ran romex down to the control box and fed the entire thing with a wall timer.

image_url-7666-1290555922.jpg

Good ideas! Martin that tower is looking good :rockon:

I was once told to use diluted bleach wiped on with a damp rag. Don't do it!!! Fortunately it was before I owned a Malibu. It absolutely ruined the vinyl on my Sea Ray.