Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ilusion XS Broken hoop bolt removal not working:(

I'm retro fitting a used and slightly broken (hoop bolt) Illusion XS right now and my machinist can't get the broken hoop bolt out of the tower.

Is it feasible to drill it completely out and heli-coil it? Or will it then need to be welded up, drilled tapped and heli-coiled?

thanks for the help!

This budget project is getting more expensive every day, and the CNC machinist hasent even started cutting metal on the adapters yet. Could get ugly!

here's my old thread:

Matt

I'm retro fitting a used and slightly broken (hoop bolt) Illusion XS right now and my machinist can't get the broken hoop bolt out of the tower.

Is it feasible to drill it completely out and heli-coil it? Or will it then need to be welded up, drilled tapped and heli-coiled?

thanks for the help!

This budget project is getting more expensive every day, and the CNC machinist hasent even started cutting metal on the adapters yet. Could get ugly!

here's my old thread:

Matt

You could probably buy a new tower for the price he would charge you to drill it out, that bolt is about 10" long. That would take forever and it's stainless.

You could probably buy a new tower for the price he would charge you to drill it out, that bolt is about 10" long. That would take forever and it's stainless.

I don't think the bolt itself is 10" long. The hex wrench you need to take the bolt OUT is about a foot long and I had to order it from malibu. I recently took the hoop off a boat for a friend of mine and the bolt only seemed to be about 3" long. I could see it being a HUGE PITA drilling it out though especially if you need a 12" hex wrench to get the bolt out.

I don't think the bolt itself is 10" long. The hex wrench you need to take the bolt OUT is about a foot long and I had to order it from malibu. I recently took the hoop off a boat for a friend of mine and the bolt only seemed to be about 3" long. I could see it being a HUGE PITA drilling it out though especially if you need a 12" hex wrench to get the bolt out.

The hoop is off the tower. So it looks like I've only got an inch or so to drill out. I'm trying to find a shop with a big radial arm drill press to drill it out and install an extra heavy 1" deep insert. I may just have them do the longer inserts on both sides while they have it.

Does anyone know if they used a threaded insert from the frctory in the tower for the hoop bolts? The other side has what appears to be a 5/8" deep threaded insert in the tower. Pretty whimpy to only give it 5/8" to hang on to such a heavy load!

Thanks,

Matt

You're so right, I was thinkiing of that hex wrench.