Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu logo Eagle Vest

davemac

I just noticed that Eagle Vests now offer a "Malibu" logo option...seen here Eagle Malibu Vest .

Pretty cool and classy looking....for anyone is in the market for a non-USCG approved vest.

(note: I have no affiliation with Eagle.... but appreciate the fact that they are American made, and they put money back into sponsorship of watersport events. Plus their stuff Rocks!)

post-5162-020318000 1294336436_thumb.jpg

post-5162-082564300 1294336446_thumb.jpg

Edited by davemac

for a private lake, they're nice, but for a public lake......I think my old Outlaw floats me higher. I think I may end up cutting mine open and adding more flotation foam.

...cutting mine open and adding more flotation foam.

Never thought of that, I have a Jet Pilot that non-USCG that could use it. What flotation material do you use?

I know Eagle will add flotation to other vests in their line-up so I'm sure that they would add some to the Malibu vest. Not sure they can add enough to get CG approval but it would float you higher in the water. Their vests are top-notch.

The best money I spent on skiing this year was for an Eagle vest. I opted for an extra layer of floatation (in the back)...which Eagle will do. It really doesn't feel any different from one without it. I may be wrong, but think I recall reading that there needs to be at least one strap/belt to qualify as USCG.

Why in the world would anyone make a ski vest (you know, for life support) that isn't Coast Guard approved?

I'm no expert, but will try to explain.... they are usually called Competition Vests...implying that they are used in tournaments or competitions, and are more geared towards the hardcore skiers or boarders. The benefit is that they tend to be form fitting, with far less bulk and bodily restriction. The downside is that they usually do not provide as much floatation or padding/protection (think ribs crashing into wakes). The theory on USCG requiring there to be belt(s) is to minimize the chance of the vest pulling up over your head (although a properly fitting non-USCG would likely take a real nasty spill to do so). IMO, the key to minimizing this exposure (with either vest) is to have proper fit, as a vest that is too large increases the likelihood of coming up over the head.

Obviously the non-USCG/ Comp Vests are more likely to be appropriate and/or found on private lakes and/or man-made or shallow sites.

Edited by davemac