Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Samson Sports Tower mirror on an Illusion X Tower?

xx29l9

I was just looking at the Samson Sports mirror for the Illusion X tower-

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1318

I really like the idea of getting the mirror on the center windshield and out of my way...but looking at the Samson mirror clamp on the tower and how tight the bimini top fits...has anybody had issues with the clamp punching a hole in their bimini top?

Bob

Yes, the bracket will wear a hole in your bimini. You know that clear plastic the canvas guys use to make windows? Sew in a piece of that and you will not have an issue.

wat? now I have to protect my bimini from the mirror....oh well, the mirrow is awesome. I installed mine after I winterized my boat, so I hadn't even thought of the bimini being an issue.

whose had a hole wear into the bimini? how long did it take to occur?

jkendallmsce

Yes, the bracket will wear a hole in your bimini. You know that clear plastic the canvas guys use to make windows? Sew in a piece of that and you will not have an issue.

I had mine all summer and no problems. You do/can adjust the clamp on the tower so it does not contact the bimini. Move it as far possible to the starbaord side and you'll be okee dokee.

What you do have to be aware of, is the tower lights aimed forward, those on the right side, will blind the heck outta you.

I've had mine a year and never noticed any issues with the bimini. I love the mirror and am very happy with it. It's always a conversation starter when at the docks and ramps.

The bracket started to wear a hole in the bimini on my 2008 23 LSV (Illusion XS) at around 100 hours. The fabric had worn so thin I could easily see daylight through it, but it had not torn through yet. I had the bimini reinforced with the clear plastic and had no more issues.

One year on mine, and no issues. But I'll definately keep that clear plastic idea in mind if it starts. I think this is the sickest looking mirror/tower combination on the water.

3 years on mine and no issues. Although I have cracked the center mirror 2x (when trailering I travel with it at the drivers feet) So now I wrap it in a beach towel.