Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ACME 653 anyone have/use one?

prion

Im just wondering if anyone uses this prop. I have an I-ride that I use for mostly wakeboarding and surfing and need more hole shot. I was recommended this prop and just wanted to get some members opinions of it before I buy. Let me know how it performs if anyone uses it. I usually have about 1800 lbs + wedge + 5-6 people in the boat and am wondering if I need to look at something more aggressive.

Thanks.

Im just wondering if anyone uses this prop. I have an I-ride that I use for mostly wakeboarding and surfing and need more hole shot. I was recommended this prop and just wanted to get some members opinions of it before I buy. Let me know how it performs if anyone uses it. I usually have about 1800 lbs + wedge + 5-6 people in the boat and am wondering if I need to look at something more aggressive.

Thanks.

Where do you put your bags?

I have the 500 stock midship bag, I put 550 lb bag on each side of the motor and 250 in the rear trunk.

Did you do anything to strengthen the floor of the trunk? If not is there any deformation in the trunk floor. I have an 04 DD wakesetter (exactly the same boat as yours) and would like to add ballest but there is a warning that the trunk is only stressed for 75 pounds.

I didnt do anything in the trunk but put a bag there. The floor seems to be the same strength as the rest of the boat, so i wasnt to worried about it. There is a thick piece of plastic in the back of the rear compartment that is hiding the gas tank. That might be a concern but i didnt do anything to strengthen it yet. I might redo it this summer and build at thicker sheild to protect the gas tank better, but so far no problems.

I didnt do anything in the trunk but put a bag there. The floor seems to be the same strength as the rest of the boat, so i wasnt to worried about it. There is a thick piece of plastic in the back of the rear compartment that is hiding the gas tank. That might be a concern but i didnt do anything to strengthen it yet. I might redo it this summer and build at thicker sheild to protect the gas tank better, but so far no problems.

My boat is an 07 so the rear/gas tank may be set up different than yours.

• 2 weeks later...

You definitely DO NOT want to put additional weight in the trunk without first reinforcing the floor. The top of the gas tank is the support for the floor of the locker, and it's not designed to support that much additional weight (which can lead to bowing and cracking of the tank, or bending of the fuel sender, which will render it useless).

Back to the original question, do you use the boat for skiing, barefooting or cruising at higher speeds? Based on the load you're running you would probably benefit with something that was a little lower pitch and more cup, unless top speed is a concern for you. Personally, I would look at the ACME 911, that's probably more in line with what you're looking for based on how you use the boat.

For your boat, here they are in order from most torque & hole shot (911) to least amount of tourqe / most top end (425)

You can click on the Acme part number if you want additional information on the prop

3-Blade Acme Part # Upgrade Step Chart For Direct Drives

Acme Part Number Diameter Pitch Blades Bore Cup

• 911 13.00 10.50 3.00 1.125" 0.800
  • 653 13.00 11.50 3.00 1.125" 0.600
  • 525 13.00 11.50 3.00 1.125" 0.800
  • 515 13.00 12.63 3.00 1.125" 0.800
  • 449 13.00 12.625 3.00 1.125" 0.800
  • 425 13.00 13.00 3.00 1.125" 0.800
    Hope this info helps you out
    -Paul

Edited by Bake's Marine

Paul,

Great info, Thanks. So for my application (wakeboarding and surfing with 1800 - 2000 lbs of ballast + wedge). Which prop would you recomend? The 653 or 911? I have the LCR 320. How much of a difference will i notice between the 2? how much do you think ill lose off the top end for either?

Thanks

Ryan

Ryan,

I'd personally would recommend the 525. I ran this prop on SLXI only a few hundred feet above sea level with ~1,500lbs of ballast + the wedge and preformed very nicely. The extra cupping helped for low-end "bite". The 911 will be way too aggressive and likely to run say 20mph at somewhere in the 3k rpm range, the 525 will reduce your top end 3-5 mph or so as well but nothing like the 911. If you where say 8k in elevation sure but in MI imho for your use and location the 525 would be by choice. We will be running a group by on props ~March fyi.

Paul,

Great info, Thanks. So for my application (wakeboarding and surfing with 1800 - 2000 lbs of ballast + wedge). Which prop would you recomend? The 653 or 911? I have the LCR 320. How much of a difference will i notice between the 2? how much do you think ill lose off the top end for either?

Thanks

Ryan

Ryan,

I ran the Acme 525 on my Response LX and thought it was a great match (Wedge + 1,000 lbs bags +crew)

From your current prop, with each step you will loose 2-4 MPH off top end but gain that in low end torque / acceleration.

Hope this helps you out

-Paul

Edited by Bake's Marine