Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Am I Crazy

fastsx321

hey guys I have listed my 1996 Echelon LX for sale on craigslist in Denver and have a ton of interest in the boat and now I am having a hard time convincing myself that I should get rid of it. My boat is super clean with a wedge that I installed last year and a titan tower. the boat has 435 hours on it and is always stored indoors. I thought I would sell it now and look for another one in a couple of years when my kids get a little older. now I am scared that it will be hard to find another one this clean. Are the lx hard to come by in good shape? I hate the idea of being without a boat but it only got 35 hours put on it last year and for some reason I have a hell of a time to get anyone to go on the lake on a consistant basis.

martinarcher

Keep it. Classics are hard to find clean and in good shape especially with crazy low hours. If it's got a Titan tower and a wedge sounds like you've got all the based already covered. If you look in a few years you might find a clean one, but a clean one with a Titan and a wedge and low hours narrows it down BIG time IMO.

Are you a skier? If not, why about move into a Sunsetter or a V-drive when your ready? Plus there is a lot of low ball tire kickers on Craigslist.

we mainly wakeboard or surf. I was thinking that to on the v- drive but my boats paid for and I'm worried I blow all the money on the street rod I'm building lol (the wife knows I will)

Keep it!!! the paid for comment alone makes it worth while to keep the boat and increase usage as the kids get older. You have already made a lot of modifications to your boat and that will be hard to find again. even if you can prices will be higher than now as well adding to the difficulty of getting back in to a quality boat.

Just my thoughts. But yea I would say :crazy:

If you are paying cash on the street rod build, then keep the boat. If you are borrowing money to build the rod, then sell the boat.

I gotta say too that if you mostly surf and board, then you should move to a v-drive.

All that said....if the one Levi pointed out is your boat, well, that's a very nice boat. It'll be tough to find another replacement Echelon with all you got on it (tower, wedge, heater, stereo, etc.). If you are not married to an Echelon, you will definitely find a good replacement (Sunsetter, SLxi, etc.) when it's time to buy another.

Got a brother/buddy? Sell it to him so you can bum rides, then buy it back in a few years.

Edit: I looked again at the ad....man that's a nice boat. Sorry, I'm no help. I'd be torn too.

Edited by Michigan boarder

Dude.... Keep that thing, I would LOVE one of those!!!

Is this it?

Yeah that is it, Never thought I would lose sleep over someone wanting to buy something from me lol

KEEP IT!

I would guarantee you would almost instantly regret selling it. I would raise the price to a number would be be extremely pleased to get and if it sells then let it go and if not then keep it. But I wouldn't be able to sell mine unless I had to or was moving up.

Yeah that is it, Never thought I would lose sleep over someone wanting to buy something from me lol

If you were closer I would buy it. That is exactily what I would want to upgrade my Skier to...

Purchased my sunsetter last Jan. for 16K with no tower. I was looking for a boat under 15 but could not find one in good condition. i would have jumped on your boat and driven to Denver to get it. I would up the price.

Keep it. They don't make them like that anymore. Sure you can get some nice fancy electronics and bling in a newer boat. But with that you get the nice fancy bills that come with failing electronics in an aging boat.

Anything that breaks in that Echelon either you or your marine mechanic can fix. No need for a factory dealer.

One big reason to keep an Echelon LX would be the combination of a paid for boat that has a wake that is in the same category as any current slalom ski boat (since it is the SV23 hull and current models are a mild revision of that same hull) and the fact that it has a walkthrough style open bow configuration. It will take an LXi to replicate what you currently have, certainly there are several examples of clean ones on the market, you could look at asking price and decide if you can afford the upgrade in your timeframe. If your highest priority activity is different from what drove you to the Echelon in the first place, then perhaps a different model would be a better comparison such as a Sunsetter.

You said you would buy another boat when the kids are a little older???????? :dontknow: Dude, if your kids are born they're old enough to be in a boat. If they're not born yet then your wife can hold on to them. :biggrin: Since you keep it inside the worst thing you're doing is taking up space. If you not going to use it for a year or two and need a little cash flow then cancel the insurance. But why sell a boat you love and know it works only to search for something later and hope it works????

hey guys I have listed my 1996 Echelon LX for sale on craigslist in Denver and have a ton of interest in the boat and now I am having a hard time convincing myself that I should get rid of it. My boat is super clean with a wedge that I installed last year and a titan tower. the boat has 435 hours on it and is always stored indoors. I thought I would sell it now and look for another one in a couple of years when my kids get a little older. now I am scared that it will be hard to find another one this clean. Are the lx hard to come by in good shape? I hate the idea of being without a boat but it only got 35 hours put on it last year and for some reason I have a hell of a time to get anyone to go on the lake on a consistant basis.

We should get a BU Crew Party on the lake going this spring in Denver. We too have a rough time getting people to go out but still love having a BU

We should get a BU Crew Party on the lake going this spring in Denver. We too have a rough time getting people to go out but still love having a BU

Thats cuz you guys don't have many lakes there. :Doh:

Some SkySki friends I know in the area ride at a "private ski lake" by the airport. It's an old gravel pit filled with water. Tightest turns I've ever taken. Sheer vertical walls..... room for one boat. And after a couple passes the waves are bouncing all over the place. OK for a quick set after work. I think they drive a couple hours on the weekends to better lakes.

To the OP.... depends on what your into. I ran a 94 Prostar 205 for 7 yrs..... bought it & built it up long before wake sport boats were available with towers & ballast systems on them. About 4 yrs ago we sold it & upgraded to the Vride. I wasn't happy about it initially. But was impressed enough with how well the newer boats drove that I took the plunge. In hind sight it was a great move. Especially now with all the surfers out there, I am a lot more at ease. I just hang back & watch them as their wave slides right on by. I would have been constantly on guard in the 205 so that I was sure to take all the surfer waves without getting swamped.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Thats cuz you guys don't have many lakes there. :Doh:

Yes our lakes are small and do suck at times...... But being on the lake is better than not being on the lake especially since my golf game SUX! :whistle:

You said you would buy another boat when the kids are a little older???????? :dontknow: Dude, if your kids are born they're old enough to be in a boat. If they're not born yet then your wife can hold on to them. :biggrin: Since you keep it inside the worst thing you're doing is taking up space. If you not going to use it for a year or two and need a little cash flow then cancel the insurance. But why sell a boat you love and know it works only to search for something later and hope it works????

My kids go all the time my one year been going since she was in the womb lol and my three year old is sking on a trainer ski just thought it would be easier when one could at least be a flagger

On a side note, I'd love to see a pic of two 10s in an Echelon LX. Are they in a box or free air?

I have a bunch of gear lying around and just happen to have a pair of matching tens that I have been eyeing up for the boat. Their triplet is in my wife's SUV with a JL 500/5 in black. I also have three matching twelves, but I don't want to do that much fiberglass work. Maybe ten years ago when I was much more gung-ho about that stuff, but not anymore.

On a side note, I'd love to see a pic of two 10s in an Echelon LX. Are they in a box or free air?

I have a bunch of gear lying around and just happen to have a pair of matching tens that I have been eyeing up for the boat. Their triplet is in my wife's SUV with a JL 500/5 in black. I also have three matching twelves, but I don't want to do that much fiberglass work. Maybe ten years ago when I was much more gung-ho about that stuff, but not anymore.

They are both in sealed boxes that I custom built, one is under the dash in front of the observer seat and the other box is a very complicted box that is next to the driver seat and carpeted to match so it looks like a wall there I will try to take some pics. on another side note I contacted the parties looking at my boat to let them know that I have to think about selling this boat a little bit harder.