Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Storing Boat for 12 months

No Wake Zone

I am moving to Singapore and will be keeping my boat (2005 LSV) in my boat house during that time. I will only come home every 12 months and will use the boat for 2 weeks during that time. It will then be stored for another 12 months. Is there anything special that I need to do to it besides the normal winterization process?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by No Wake Zone

I would be much better for the boat to be used (a lot) during that time. It would pain me to do so but I will reluctantly volunteer to use your boat while you're away.

Edited by WakingMeHappy

I am moving to Singapore and will be keeping my boat (2005 LSV) in my boat house during that time. I will only come home every 12 months and will use the boat for 2 weeks during that time. It will then be stored for another 12 months. Is there anything special that I need to do to it besides the normal winterization process?

Thanks for the help.

I would look at this from the standpoint of preservation since it will be sitting for so long.

a) vinyl preservation - clean and treat the vinyl (like with 303)

b) gelcoat preservation - good quality wax coat/ prevention from UV exposure

c) critter deterrent - make sure that mice, racoon, various rodents don't decide to nest in your Bu - cover even if indoors, and throw things like dryer sheets (for spiders) and what ever else might deter critters (not sure what else)

d) chemical preservation - change the oil so that dirty oil isn't sitting in it for a year

e) battery preservation - I would remove the battery(ies) in case of battery acid leakage, plus this reduces the chance of miscellaneous corrosion

f) rubber/ hose preservation - again, a good dosing of 303

Remove anything else that might leak and ooze

There is probably more that the crew can chime in on no doubt.

I would look at this from the standpoint of preservation since it will be sitting for so long.

a) vinyl preservation - clean and treat the vinyl (like with 303)

b) gelcoat preservation - good quality wax coat/ prevention from UV exposure

c) critter deterrent - make sure that mice, racoon, various rodents don't decide to nest in your Bu - cover even if indoors, and throw things like dryer sheets (for spiders) and what ever else might deter critters (not sure what else)

d) chemical preservation - change the oil so that dirty oil isn't sitting in it for a year

e) battery preservation - I would remove the battery(ies) in case of battery acid leakage, plus this reduces the chance of miscellaneous corrosion

f) rubber/ hose preservation - again, a good dosing of 303

Remove anything else that might leak and ooze

There is probably more that the crew can chime in on no doubt.

Great ideas, I would add a good coat of WD40 on all metal parts.

consider yanking the battery out of the boat? batteries are a lot more durable than they used to be but i've still seen leakage. i'd rather have it in the basement or garage than in the boat (even if it's in a plastic battery box).

Great suggestions! Thank you. If I could take it to Singapore I can tell you I would. It will be the biggest downside to the move. I think I may miss the boat more than my friends. :whistle:

Great suggestions! Thank you. If I could take it to Singapore I can tell you I would. It will be the biggest downside to the move. I think I may miss the boat more than my friends. :whistle:

maybe if you offered to leave the wife and kids in the states they would let you bring the boat?Whistling.gif

• 8 months later...