Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Responsiveness of PP Stargazer for Mechanical vs. TBW Applications

Big Clyde

I'm considering adding Perfect Pass (Stargazer Wake Edition) and am curious as to whether there is a noticeable difference in its responsiveness in a mechanical throttle application (which I have) vs. a newer TBW application. Any thoughts?

I'm considering adding Perfect Pass (Stargazer Wake Edition) and am curious as to whether there is a noticeable difference in its responsiveness in a mechanical throttle application (which I have) vs. a newer TBW application. Any thoughts?

Responsiveness on our 02 mechanical throttle Monsoon is very good. Easily the best speed control I have experienced; on par with zero off. It is my impression that converting an older engine to TBW is cost prohibitive...

I had the stargazer on the last boat I/O. Did not like it. Had mechanical on the boat b4 that one (Moomba). I run the river most and there is a current. The stargazer does not take that into account because it runs on GPS. Constantly had to adjust the speed for the current. I bought my BU 1 1/2 years ago and installed the mechanical. It was more practical for me. As far as responsiveness, They use the same style controller. You can also adjust the characteristics of the pull on the display.

No worries about mechanical/DBW...or even carb/efi in terms of throttle response. You can also adjust how aggressively PP responds to speed variations. As for the current, I contacted PP about that issue, and they have new software where you can disable the GPS input and rely on the paddle wheel for the speed input.

For me, that is exactly what I want because I spend most of my time on a private site with a slalom course (GPS input) but I also spend time on a river with a current, and I'm not willing to give up the paddle wheel input. I was almost disappointed when PP told me they had the software to solve my issue, as that was my only excuse for not spending the money for the StarGazer upgrade. :whistle: I will probably upgrade this year.

I had the stargazer on the last boat I/O. Did not like it. Had mechanical on the boat b4 that one (Moomba). I run the river most and there is a current. The stargazer does not take that into account because it runs on GPS. Constantly had to adjust the speed for the current. I bought my BU 1 1/2 years ago and installed the mechanical. It was more practical for me. As far as responsiveness, They use the same style controller. You can also adjust the characteristics of the pull on the display.

Stargazer and mechanical are not mutually exclusive. Mechanical in the OP's context means a servo driven throttle as opposed to a throttle by wire. Stargazer relies on GPS input, and can control the servo, Perfect Pass "Classic" relies on speed and/or RPM inputs. IF OP is asking about the responsiveness of a mechanical system, the answer is, it is PLENTY responsive. Responsive enough to hold almost a perfect speed over 16 seconds with 6 1000 pound tugs and releases!