Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tight Steering

skinuth2o

I have a 1999 Response. I have changed the steering cable 3 times in 10 years. A steering cable should last more than 3 years! Is there another type of cable I could purchase or convert to?

You have got to hit the weights! Just kidding. Your cable is getting wet somehow. My cable is ten years old and still fine. What is your procedure for drying out your boat? Also you cannot let water stay in your bilge.

Edited by eyepeeler

Are you replacing it with a TFX extreme cable? They are by far the best and last the longest.

I agree with eyepeeler though, it sounds like you have water sitting in the bildge a lot? Might have to get your drive seal re-packed or locate where your water leak is coming from.

-Paul

Your cable is getting wet somehow.
...it sounds like you have water sitting in the bilge a lot? Might have to get your drive seal re-packed or locate where your water leak is coming from.

:plus1: on both.

Two times now I have had enough water in the Sporty to put the end of the steering cable under water and both times I had to replace the cable due to corrosion (stiff steering) that occurred during the following off-season.

and don't forget to turn your wheel all the way to the right (i think) for winterization and long lay-ups so that the cable is retracted into the sleeve.

Have never heard/thought of that one before.

I still have the OEM cable in my '95. I extend it out all the way and put some grease on the cable, then work it several times before leaveing it all the way in. I repeat that in the spring also. Then again, I don't have the conditions like many of you guys have either.

I have a 1999 Response. I have changed the steering cable 3 times in 10 years. A steering cable should last more than 3 years! Is there another type of cable I could purchase or convert to?

Hi there... Rhyno5 here from sunny Melbourne Australia. Mid summer and plenty of boarding going on here.

I too have a 99 Response and cant work out how to release the steering cable at the rudder. Very hard to get to, under the back seat.

How did you do it? Don't really want to take the fuel tank out!!?? The Malibu dealers here aren't overly helpful for people wanting to maintain their rigs themselves.

Thanks Rhyno.

There is basically just a machined U bracket that attaches the cable end to the rudder with a through bolt to attach. Turning the wheel full left will move the tiller closer to the front of the tank and make it more accessible, that is also the direction you want to turn the wheel for storage as it retracts the cable in to the outer case.

Wow, did you drain the block before hand? December was ridiculously cold!!

No draining before Christmas. Ride into November and boat stays in garage. Never freezes, just have to make sure the garage doors don't get left open till I winterize.

Edited by dalt1

There is basically just a machined U bracket that attaches the cable end to the rudder with a through bolt to attach. Turning the wheel full left will move the tiller closer to the front of the tank and make it more accessible, that is also the direction you want to turn the wheel for storage as it retracts the cable in to the outer case.

Thanks Woodski. Will take a closer look!

• 2 weeks later...

I was just shown how to service this. We took the sleeve out, cleaned and packed it with marine grease, worked it back and forth to remove extra grease and now ready for the coming year. We also put a small grease nipple on the sleeve so i can run some routine maintenance throughout the year.

I do have the boat in salt water and have seen a bunch of guys have issues with their steering. Hopefully this extends the life of mine.