Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

is this bad to do

lxirod

my engine on 05 rlxi will not run hot enough to produce decent heat out of the heater. instead of changin out the thermostat i tried cutting off some of the water flow by using the valve on the intake hose. is this bad to do? i shutt it about half way and i was able to get the boat to run at about 155.

Bad to do as, illegal? No

Bad to do as, not wise? Yes

Water pump, impeller etc all need water flow also the engine prefers to be run at normal operating temps. The short term gain of a heater may costalottadough.

Rumor has it that Nautique is no longer offering "hot shower" on newly ordered boats. Some "Brain Surgeon" probably put the water on too hot, put the end down their suit, got burned and sued CC.

Edited by Texasguy
Rumor has it that Nautique is no longer offering "hot shower" on newly ordered boats.  Some "Brain Surgeon" probably put the water on too hot, put the end down their suit, got burned and sued CC.

Don't they just need a disclaimer on the nozel like McD's coffee "product may be hot".. Biggrin.gif

Rumor has it that Nautique is no longer offering "hot shower" on newly ordered boats.  Some "Brain Surgeon" probably put the water on too hot, put the end down their suit, got burned and sued CC.

Don't they just need a disclaimer on the nozel like McD's coffee "product may be hot".. Biggrin.gif

One would think that would be enough, but then again you would think people would be smart enough Not to put a Hot hose down their pants without a sticker!!

Have you seen the newer CC's, they are covered in red and Orange stickers!!

how hot should the engine run? it's been running fine at 140 since new. it just isnt enough to get heat out of the heater.

Could be a 140 degree thermostat - just replace w/a 160. You may also have a circulation problem through the heater. Do you have the low rpm Y pipe? You should still have some heat even at 140.

no i i didnt use the y - fitting. it gets warm just not hot.

i believe cc does not offer the shower is because of carbon monoxide poising threat. that would have to be one long shower.

Your boat should run 160° and have the Y fitting from the factory, AFAIK.

If you are saying you reduced flow from the main raw water intake by partially closing the through-hull valve: Bad Idea.

Edited by VinRLX

LixROD, my '05 VLX's thermostat got stuck open about my 2nd trip out, and the boat was running way too cold as well, just like yours.

Killed my fuel usage, not to mention it's not good for the engine running so cold and rich. 140 is too cold, it should be around 160 or little above.

I did a quick warranty change out of thermostat, and she runs perfect now, just above 160 usually. Just change the stat.

i honestly dont remember what the engine ran at before i installed the heater since i wasnt concerned atr the time. do you guys think that my heater installed the way it is , is causing a low engine temp. i have the return line going into the water pump.

So you're saying you added the heater? IIRC, there was a time when non-heater boats were sent out with 140° thermostats. Not sure that is still the case, however.

Factory install of the heater used to be return line to the engine water pump. People started modifying that with a Y fitting to the impeller due to no heat at idle. Factory eventually changed installation.

To answer your question: No, your install should not cause the boat to run cool. A sticky or 140° thermostat, however, would. Change the stat and see where that gets you. Be sure to install facing correct direction.

Just out of curiosity, where are you drawing the water FROM?

Anybody think rapping on the thermostat while running/up to temp might help a sticky 'stat?

A quick review of above responses to your problem:

DO NOT run boat with restricted water flow.

You may have a sticky 'stat.

You may have a 140° 'stat.

Swap it out.

im getting the water form the top of the block like the pictures show on ho to install a heater thread. the heater does work but the heat is not very hot