Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power steering Leak

Hi;

I have a 1996 Outboard flightcraft. I love the boat but the power steering leaks slightly near the motor (Mercury 200 EFI). Apparently the power steering system is no longer available by Mercury. I simply need one seal - part number 811632 A1. Does anyone how to locate one or come up with an alternate solution. I have tryed sevral marinias and have even looked into having a seal custom made but with no luck.

I am sure I am not alone with this issue. Any help would be most appreatied.

Hydraulic shop?

Yes, if I am totally stuck I am considering having the rod machined to fit a standard seal rather than locating a seal to fit the rod. However I was hoping for an easy solution as the seal is probaly a $20.00 item. I found this site and thought I would post the question to see what happens. I have the winter to see what happens.

It is not a major leak but enough to make me frustrated.

Thanks Pete!

Normally all seals can be bought. Sometimes the part numbers will not cross reference. It those instances you have to use calipers to measure ID, OD, width, and note the type of lips the seal has and then use a catalog to match it by type and size. A good hydraulics parts person should be able to find a seal.

Normally all seals can be bought. Sometimes the part numbers will not cross reference. It those instances you have to use calipers to measure ID, OD, width, and note the type of lips the seal has and then use a catalog to match it by type and size. A good hydraulics parts person should be able to find a seal.

Eyefoot,

What Bill said is more along the lines of what I was thinking. I wouldn't change anything about the size of the hardware. I'd go to a hydro. shop and see if they can match up the seal if you have it out.

Thanks guys. I truly appreaciate you responding.

I will keep looking I guess. Two manufactures of seals were unable to make one (unless I want 1,000 pcs). Hurculies and Economos which is part of SKF bearings.

However I will keep trying the hydralic dealers before I resort to changing or making a new rod.

I can not beleilve it is that hard to find!

Thanks everyone for your hep. See what happens and I am still checking here if anyone else has had the same issue post your findings here. I know this power steering system was used on a lot of Merury outboard boats made during this time period.

Thanks again all!

Thanks everyone for your hep. See what happens and I am still checking here if anyone else has had the same issue post your findings here. I know this power steering system was used on a lot of Merury outboard boats made during this time period.

Thanks again all!

Try looking for a used system then.

I went to MarinePartsExpress.comMarinePartExpress and typed in your part number and it came up with a repair kit. Their site has schematics for all Mercury outboards. Match yours up then find your part in the schematic and type in the corresponding part number to see if its available. You can also call them for help. I use them for hard to find parts on the Mercruiser direct drive in my Echelon.

Edited by Surfin247

I went to MarinePartsExpress.comMarinePartExpress and typed in your part number and it came up with a repair kit. Their site has schematics for all Mercury outboards. Match yours up then find your part in the schematic and type in the corresponding part number to see if its available. You can also call them for help. I use them for hard to find parts on the Mercruiser direct drive in my Echelon.

Wow That is deffently the part. I will call Monday and see if it is stock. I don't think I have called them yet.

Thanks Surfin247...I will post my findings here. Crossing my fingers...

Found your PN in this doc too.....

http://www.marinepar.../1994/EN_01.PDF

Might want to give them a call a check if they can help out.

http://www.marinepartsman.com/

The actual seal PN is listed on their No Longer Available list here. The pdf link above says it is still available for repairs and to reference Service Bulletin 92-3. Haven't found the bulletin yet. It must have a new number for a replacement seal. If you give them a call they can probably help.

Edited by martinarcher
  • 4 years later...

Old thread I know, did you ever locate a solution to this problem? I'm in the same situation and part is discontinued everywhere I look.

Thanks