Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing with floating wedge??

mac19

I've been looking for a boat for about 5 months and I've nailed down what seems in my less than qualifed opinion to be a good deal. However I need the Crews opinion. The boat specs are as follows:

2008Wakesetter 23LSV

MONSOON

51hr

illusion X tower

stereo is base with 2 additional bullet tower speakers but needs amp.

floating wedge

Full MLS

2 outlet heater

docking lights

Extreme tandem trailer

Original owner, with all service records

$47000

This seems like a good deal... Am I missing something??

Most importantly I will be using this boat 90% of the time for surfing, 5% wakeskate, 5% wakeboard. My only hang up is the floating wedge, is it a deal breaker for a surf boat?

Let's Hear it from the "CREW" :rockon:

Edited by mac19

I've surfed behind an '06 VLX w/ the floating wedge and I'll say it's almost better than the power wedge. For me it wouldn't stop me from purchasing this boat with surfing aspirations. The dash is what I can't stand on the '08 LSV's. The price is good as most seems to run in the low to mid 50k range. I'd recommend reproping to a more aggressive prop. Depending upon how much water travel time you do would make a difference. The OJ 475 for a lot of water travel time, OJ 468 for short cruises but will make that boat pop well relatively speaking.

For surfing you'll need additional ballast at least a 750lbs in the rear compartments, cabin 400lbs and a bow sack at least 400lbs or more. Or you can get the big sack from Bakes for the port side underneath the seats.

Here is a great post for some detailed info and pics of an '08 LSV.

If everything else checks out then i would go for it, that is a good price for that boat. The wedge is fine, less trouble then the power wedge anyways! Like Dude said you will need additional goods to get the surf setup right but its worth it.

Last time we surfed in the fall I wondered what was up with the wave. It had push and looked decent, but wasn't near as tall as it normally is. Then it hit me....the wedge was up. LOL.gif I stopped and we threw it down and wow....our floater works very well on our boat to add a lot of height to the wave.

You are getting a good deal at $47K. Last summer I paid $52K for a 2008, 23 LSV with 18 hours on the clock. You won't have any mechanical problems with the floating wedge. Be sure to check into getting the hull and engine warranties transferred. The transfer will cost approximately $800 with the inspections but certainly is worth the peace-of-mind. If you decide to transfer the warranties be certain to do so within 14 days of purchase. If you end up purchasing the boat, please post some photographs!!!

You are getting a good deal at $47K. Last summer I paid $52K for a 2008, 23 LSV with 18 hours on the clock. You won't have any mechanical problems with the floating wedge. Be sure to check into getting the hull and engine warranties transferred. The transfer will cost approximately $800 with the inspections but certainly is worth the peace-of-mind. If you decide to transfer the warranties be certain to do so within 14 days of purchase. If you end up purchasing the boat, please post some photographs!!!

I've been following used 23's and 247 LSV's since Aug. and It seems like a solid deal to me as well. The only concern I had was the floating wedge but since reading the above replies my mind has been set at ease, I will be picking it up the during the first two weeks of Feb. and will be sure to post picks when I get my hands on it. Thanks for the replies the Crew always pulls through with good info. :rockon:

The boat is a good deal. However, from experience you will notice a difference in the wave with the floating wedge. We busted our actuators by hitting something under the water. We dove in and inspected what happened. The power wedge was loose and free floating just like the floating wedge. We continued surfing and there was a noticeable difference in the power of the wave. We have not experienced any problems with the power wedge other than the damage we have caused by hitting something under the water. FWIW.

PS My brother J bought a 2008 247LSV for 51K back in October. The boat had 50 Hours on it.

Edited by Stanley Wheelhouse

Most importantly I will be using this boat 90% of the time for surfing, 5% wakeskate, 5% wakeboard. My only hang up is the floating wedge, is it a deal breaker for a surf boat?

I would go power wedge all the way, in my opinion the floating wedge was great for wake-boarding but not for surfing. I tried it once surfing and couldn't notice a difference (this was on a 2007 Wakesetter VLX) Malibudude is right though, if you are surfing that much you will want more than just the wedge. Ballast, lead, football team, or which ever makes the boat displace more water on the side you are surfing on.

These are photos of a 2009 23 LSV Wake, Power Wedge, Custom Surf Sack, full tank of fuel, hammerhead engine and 8 guys in the boat.

Wish you the best!

-Paul

PS: A power wedge can be added to any Malibu with a MUX dash system (2008+ Wakesetter and Sunscape boats) so if this is the right boat, a wedge can be added at any Malibu Dealership

post-4023-099801100 1293650697_thumb.jpgpost-4023-007867400 1293650704_thumb.jpg