Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

loose swim platform

wakechick3

My teak swim platform has been loose enough to wiggle pretty good this past year.

Last week while installing my FAE, I thought I would try to tighten the bolts and there was no tightening to be had- which leads me to believe I need to tighten from the inside. (And the wiggle is worse after putting the platform back on).

So obviously I need to remove the floors back there in order to do this (and maybe replace a ballast pump). Is this going to be a difficult task? Or is the hardest part finding the floor screws in the carpet?

Thanks,

Kimberly

If the bolts that go through the transom turned I would remove them and reseal them. When they turned it probably broke whatever seal that was originally there. You should hold the bolt steady from the outside with a wrench and have someone else tighten the nut from the inside. That way the bolt doesn't turn and the sealant should be good. Probably not a big deal if the boat doesn't remain in the water for any extended periods of time but I would reseal them just to be sure. Any marine sealant designed for below the waterline should work. I would put some on the bolt and in the hole and then tighten. I would also use one of the nylon locking nuts to prevent them from loosing up again in the future.

Kris

The bolts on my 2004 loosened up and allowed the platform to flop around enough to cause gel cracks, so you should get that fixed more sooner than later. I'm fairly certain you just peel back the carpet to get access to the nuts. That is good advice up there. ^^^^^

My teak swim platform has been loose enough to wiggle pretty good this past year.

Last week while installing my FAE, I thought I would try to tighten the bolts and there was no tightening to be had- which leads me to believe I need to tighten from the inside. (And the wiggle is worse after putting the platform back on).

So obviously I need to remove the floors back there in order to do this (and maybe replace a ballast pump). Is this going to be a difficult task? Or is the hardest part finding the floor screws in the carpet?

Thanks,

Kimberly

'

Kimberly,

I will be honest, you have a little bit of a project ahead of you. If they are loose I would remove the brackets and get them re-sealed like Kris mentioned. You will need to to get access to the thru bolts which on your boat is a task alone getting the floor boards above your hard tanks to move back. Luckily all you need is a inch so you can get a wrench in but in 05 servicing the swim step brackets or drain pumps unfortunately wasn't thought through when the boat was built.

You will spend a lot more time removing the floor boards (because that year there is no access panel) then working on the actual swim platform brackets. Once you have enough room to get a 3/4" wrench to hold the back nut your good. I would get the transom brackets off, clean off all the old sealant then use a silicone adhesive sealant to re-mount them to the boat. When you reinstall the bolts blue LOC-tite them like none other so you don't have to go thru that again.

Hope this helps you out!!!

-Paul

Are you saying these bolts are loose? If so, I think there is access to the nuts inside the trunks.

swimdeckliftII.jpg

OK Pete. I don’t see a boat transom in that pic. Did you mount that swim step on the wall just for the pic? :unsure:

OK Pete. I dont see a boat transom in that pic. Did you mount that swim step on the wall just for the pic? :unsure:

I think he uses it as a bar in the winter.

** Didn't want to start a new thread, Happy Birthday Swag King **

Edited by MalibuNation

'

Kimberly,

I will be honest, you have a little bit of a project ahead of you. If they are loose I would remove the brackets and get them re-sealed like Kris mentioned. You will need to to get access to the thru bolts which on your boat is a task alone getting the floor boards above your hard tanks to move back. Luckily all you need is a inch so you can get a wrench in but in 05 servicing the swim step brackets or drain pumps unfortunately wasn't thought through when the boat was built.

You will spend a lot more time removing the floor boards (because that year there is no access panel) then working on the actual swim platform brackets. Once you have enough room to get a 3/4" wrench to hold the back nut your good. I would get the transom brackets off, clean off all the old sealant then use a silicone adhesive sealant to re-mount them to the boat. When you reinstall the bolts blue LOC-tite them like none other so you don't have to go thru that again.

Hope this helps you out!!!

-Paul

Thanks All, this sounds like a project beyond my time allowance right now. It's obvious on my boat that the inside bolts are under the floor and hard to get to.

That part doesnt make me nervous about doing, it's the re-sealing part - i don't want to not do it right and compromise something. I will check with my dealer and see what he will charge to take care of it.

Hey Pete... let's have a pic with a top view of that swim step bar. :cheers::beer::wine:

I don't know where you guys came up with a teak bar. It just so happen that the exposure is a little off and you can't really see the boat. It looks like the swim step is floating. Either that or, my boat is so clean, it's almost invisible.

Here's some random pics.

I don't know where you guys came up with a teak bar. It just so happen that the exposure is a little off and you can't really see the boat. It looks like the swim step is floating. Either that or, my boat is so clean, it's almost invisible.

Here's some random pics.

Sorry OP, but since it's already been hijacked....

Hey Pete, why do you have the extra spacing under the platform?

I have my old deck that I was going to sell in the spring, but the whole bar thing has the wheels turning.

I spaced it up so that the platform isn't under water when some one is putting their board on. It's common that someone will be putting their board on, a small roller will come by, and BANG! against my transom. That's why I have that clear 3M protection along the transom too.

Sorry OP, but since it's already been hijacked....

Hey Pete, why do you have the extra spacing under the platform?

I have my old deck that I was going to sell in the spring, but the whole bar thing has the wheels turning.

It’s to raise the margarita closer to his mouth. :rofl:

Thanks All, this sounds like a project beyond my time allowance right now. It's obvious on my boat that the inside bolts are under the floor and hard to get to.

That part doesnt make me nervous about doing, it's the re-sealing part - i don't want to not do it right and compromise something. I will check with my dealer and see what he will charge to take care of it.

Can anyone offer more details about the re-sealing?

Where to put it? how much? be careful about squeezing it all out?

• 8 years later...