Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why do people do this?!

bcoppess23

So, I am from the midwest and the winters are cold. Sometimes, the lakes freeze. Why do people leave there boats in the water or on the lift during the winter?! This just baffles me especially a Malibu!!

:bash:

So, I am from the midwest and the winters are cold. Sometimes, the lakes freeze. Why do people leave there boats in the water or on the lift during the winter?! This just baffles me especially a Malibu!!

I have a friend that keeps it on the lift all winter long. They take it out and winterize the boat and then they tow it back to the lift. The lift is a permanent structure with a roof. They have a good cover on it.

Hehe, memories of the John's Tige on Diamond Lake are coming up.

tige1319.jpg

tige1329.jpg

Why did he do this? The short story is the guy is one of those guys who is too busy to get everything done. In past years, his buddies pulled the boat & winterized it. That year his buddies were out of town.

BTW, $1500 later & that boat is back on the lake & running again.

Bill_AirJunky always seems to be a part of some the best boat stories & pictures.

Between this frozen boat and the Mastercraft that had to be airlifted off a sandbar, his stories have kept me glued to the computer for hours and hours.

Bill_AirJunky always seems to be a part of some the best boat stories & pictures.

Between this frozen boat and the Mastercraft that had to be airlifted off a sandbar, his stories have kept me glued to the computer for hours and hours.

What!?! I missed that one. I hope there are pics!

I was surprised at how many people on my lake leave their boats on the lift for the winter. I assume they did the winterization themselves. I could skate down about 6 houses and get a pic of a nice Bu sitting on the lift surrounded by snow.

I think it's for braggin' rights. "last one off in the fall, first one in in the Spring."

Not sure how I ended up getting mixed up in those two stories. But your right, they both took off. They just happened to go down in the town I live in (Spokane, WA area). And I have one of those computer geek jobs where I'm either swamped or bored.

I still see John & his Tige on Diamond occasionally. He lives near a good SkySkiing buddy of mine who I visit infrequently.

The guy with the MC lives near one of our Malibu friends. I got an email about it the day after he got the boat stuck in the mud. He sent pics around to all his friends/acquaintances in the area. One or more of us posted them in the forums & the story took off. By the time the helicopter showed up, the story was like a week or two old. They guy had been wading out to the boat everyday to check on it, cover it, removed stereo equipment & riding gear, etc. The day of the "extraction" I knew it would be a crazy sight so I had to go check it out & get some pics. :rofl:

I gotta think this stuff happens in other places occasionally too. Just don't have the people fanning the flames & posting it online. :crazy:

Yea, when we were watching it, people kept coming up with worst case scenarios...... the one that sticks out in my mind is if the bow strap failed somehow, the boat's bow would drop, then the stern straps break, and the boat is speared into the mud, bow first. :Doh:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Well, I leave my boat on the lift in the winter for several reasons. First, it's a great place to store it. My slip is covered so the boat is never in the elements. It's on a lift which is essentially the same as being on a trailer. My slip is paid for annually so if I stored it somewhere else it would cost me extra. I winterize it myself and run a spark free Extreme heater in the engine compartment. Plus, I don't own a trailer and if I did, a 25 foot boat with a trailer sure wouldn't fit in my garage.

Well, I leave my boat on the lift in the winter for several reasons. First, it's a great place to store it. My slip is covered so the boat is never in the elements. It's on a lift which is essentially the same as being on a trailer. My slip is paid for annually so if I stored it somewhere else it would cost me extra. I winterize it myself and run a spark free Extreme heater in the engine compartment. Plus, I don't own a trailer and if I did, a 25 foot boat with a trailer sure wouldn't fit in my garage.

If the boat is covered and out of the elements, that makes sense. I was wondering around on the local dealer's website and they have a boat for sale that is on a lift exposed to the elements. Guess it is no different then leaving the boat on a trailer outside.

If the boat is covered and out of the elements, that makes sense. I was wondering around on the local dealer's website and they have a boat for sale that is on a lift exposed to the elements. Guess it is no different then leaving the boat on a trailer outside.

There is a guy on my dock who has a 24V Supra that he leaves in the water, in an uncovered slip, all year long (without bottom paint)! It looks terrible. I can't imagine how bad the resale would be if he tried to sell it. I also witnessed 2 brand new Mastercrafts and 1 new Malibu sit in the water all summer long. I don't know if these owners don't know or don't care about the damage they're doing to their boats. I kept my last boat in dry storage (before I got my lift). During the season I would often leave it in the water for a week or two at a time. I had to swim under it and clean the bottom at least once a week. Even then, it wasn't enough to stay ahead of the deterioration. I could tell by feel that the wax was pretty much gone after a couple of days.

I think AreaMike had a video with some boats on a lift on a frozen lake. I'd worried about a cable snapping or some other failure. Some animal could make the boat it's home or toliet.

It's worth it to me to keep it out of the elements.