Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A few measurement questions

BlknYlwT22

what is the total height of an '04 21.5' VLX with a titan series II tower that is collapsed and what is the length of the boat and trailer from the swing trailer tongue to the back of the teak. the boat is in storage and we do not have access to get the measurements. the reason i ask these questions is because we are currently gutting our cottage and are thinking about building a 26 x 24 garage as well. we want to make sure we build the garage in such a way so the boat can fit through the garage door for winter storage.

i also want to know what size shore station is best for this boat to fit width wise. thanks for the help

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

What brand trailer & what size tires?

I have an Extreme trailer & low profile car tires on 18s, and the TItan II. The boat doesn't even come close to fitting under a 7' garage door.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

What brand trailer & what size tires?

I have an Extreme trailer & low profile car tires on 18s, and the TItan II. The boat doesn't even come close to fitting under a 7' garage door.

i have no idea on the kind of trailer and actual tire sizes. we know it wont fit in a regular door so we are hoping to figure out the height so we can get the right size so it can.

maybe these pics will help with the trailer and tires.

DSC05589.jpg

DSC05590.jpg

DSC05588.jpg

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

I have an 04 VLX with a T-2 (pretty sure its the same front section as T-1) sitting on an Extreme trailer with stock tires and wheels.

I built my garage with an 8' door and the lowest part is the support rail on the door itself. That part is at 91-3/8". I have about 1" clearance at the tow ball and Titan/Wakeside light. I built a tower support to fold rear hoop forward and rest front wishbone on rear hoop about 1/4" above windshield. I must remove racks to do this. (LIft offs baby!)

Quick eyeball measurements (no level or laser...stuff in the way etc.. Though for your design purposes, close enough. I went generous.)

Swung tongue to end of teak 23'5" (+/-)

Tongue in towing position to end of teak 25' (+/-)

trailer- fender to fender- 102" Actually the guide posts are a little wider than the fenders though. Mine are much wider as I extended them up another 12-14" and added stop-turn-tail lights to them.

I would insist on an 8' high X 10'wide door MINIMUM. Make sure the door installer knows you want maximum clearance. They have ways of making this happen. They also can be lazy and take up valuable clearance with the wrong track pieces....

If you are planning on having a loft or storage in attic, make sure you have enough room for the door below...

I suggest you consult a local door guy and find out how much he needs above 8' to have door completely above 8' when open and design around that number.

Another thing to consider when building is beam placement to allow you to raise tower in garage. Typically you'll need collar tie beams (if wood const and a gable roof---DONT use trusses-no attic space and can't be modified later...)

I can give you dimensions if you want them... just not this minute. Gotta run.

Feel free to PM me with other questions...

Patrick

tower will be collapsed to go in the garage and the door will be a double door so width should not be an issue. if you could get more exact measurements that would be great but it sounds a like an 8' foot door will work although 1" isn't a ton of clearance.

tower will be collapsed to go in the garage and the door will be a double door so width should not be an issue. if you could get more exact measurements that would be great but it sounds a like an 8' foot door will work although 1" isn't a ton of clearance.

If you read my response I have 1" clearance at 91-3/8" (lowest point...) 8' is 96" The cross support on my door is the lowest point. I could move it up or bring the door back further, but haven't... (LAZY)

Metal building? On site framed wood building? Pre fab wood? Truss roof? Traditional framed roof? (***Traditionally framed roof strongly suggested by this builder for purpose built garage! )

I'll get dimensions from teak to rear hoop of tower and from teak to front legs of tower. Architect should be able to build roof system around the tower to allow you to raise tower inside garage. I did!

Patrick

If you read my response I have 1" clearance at 91-3/8" (lowest point...) 8' is 96" The cross support on my door is the lowest point. I could move it up or bring the door back further, but haven't... (LAZY)

Metal building? On site framed wood building? Pre fab wood? Truss roof? Traditional framed roof? (***Traditionally framed roof strongly suggested by this builder for purpose built garage! )

I'll get dimensions from teak to rear hoop of tower and from teak to front legs of tower. Architect should be able to build roof system around the tower to allow you to raise tower inside garage. I did!

Patrick

i apologize i didn't read through that part well enough.

the garage will be an on site framed wood building and as for the roof set up i am not sure. I would assume quote was for a a truss style but it can be changed to anything. at the same time we are trying to limit cost as much as possible and still fulfill the needs.

i appreciate you taking the time to measure the boat and trailer. it is greatly appreciated.

You have an Extreme trailer as well. (looking at your posted pic..) You also have a Titan-II tower- FYI The rear hoop is curved toward the rear.

The problem with truss roofs is that you are stuck with what you have... If you have 8' walls the truss' sit right on top and you will have a bottom truss chord (ceiling joist) every 16" or 2' on center with no attic volume to raise tower inside.

With a traditional framed roof you have much more versatility in where you want attic storage or room to put the tower up...

Patrick

Edited by Faceplant409

You have an Extreme trailer as well. (looking at your posted pic..) You also have a Titan-II tower- FYI The rear hoop is curved toward the rear.

The problem with truss roofs is that you are stuck with what you have... If you have 8' walls the truss' sit right on top and you will have a bottom truss chord (ceiling joist) every 16" or 2' on center with no attic volume to raise tower inside.

With a traditional framed roof you have much more versatility in where you want attic storage or room to put the tower up...

Patrick

well the garage will be dry walled to give it that "finished" look so i'm sure that obstructs the extra clearance with a traditional framed roof. we are not too concerned on being able to raise the tower inside unless you think that is necessary.

Tell you the truth its a PITA to get in/out of the boat for service, upgrades, loading/unloading gear with the tower down...

If I were building a garage for toys, etc.. I'd never consider 100% 8' ceiling. You going to have some storage?

Mine was designed roughly 25X25. it has 2 beams running width-wise. One in front of the windshield, and one behind the tower. Without a ceiling, I was able to get a ton of storage by joisting between the beams, just not where the tower is...

(here in Cali. I needed the beams... you may not.. Seizmic codes)

P

Tell you the truth its a PITA to get in/out of the boat for service, upgrades, loading/unloading gear with the tower down...

If I were building a garage for toys, etc.. I'd never consider 100% 8' ceiling. You going to have some storage?

Mine was designed roughly 25X25. it has 2 beams running width-wise. One in front of the windshield, and one behind the tower. Without a ceiling, I was able to get a ton of storage by joisting between the beams, just not where the tower is...

(here in Cali. I needed the beams... you may not.. Seizmic codes)

P

well the garage is simply going to store the boat during the winter. in the summer the boat will be out front sitting on a boat lift. as far as storage there will probably be a drop down ladder that allows us to get up in the attic.

well we have decided to change the dimensions of the garage to 26x24. the boat should fit just fine length wise. we will put in an 8 foot door and tell the garage door installer for maximum clearance.

well we have decided to change the dimensions of the garage to 26x24. the boat should fit just fine length wise. we will put in an 8 foot door and tell the garage door installer for maximum clearance.

It sounds like you got some GREAT advice form someone!!!! :whistle:

P