Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Starting to look...

Calimali2

With two kids and friends with kids, I'm beginning to think a more user friendly interior layout might be a decent idea, so I've been contemplating looking for a v-drive boat. As my GF and I are primarily skiers (open water/good, no course) we still want the boat to be a good skiing boat while providing a more kid friendly layout. I'm ok with the boat having ballast and wedge as I do enjoy wakeboarding too and I'm sure the kids will get more into boarding than skiing.

So my question to all the pro's is: what is the v-drive with the best ski wake in the 98-02 year range? (btw, I'm thinking 98-02 for cost reasons).

I do tons of research and take my time with any purchase, so I'm in no rush, just starting the looking/research phase...

Thanks for the help!

The Sunsetter more commonly referred to as the VLX is always on the non-diamond hull with the above year an exception, whereas the Sunscape is always on the diamond hull. Exceptions are made but in general thats biggest the difference.

I always thought "kid friendly" meant interiors like the XTI where kids have their seating & adults have theirs. :rockon:

I guess we're not supposed to have the floor space in the v-drives full of gear, stripper poles, stereo equipment, beer coolers, a poker table, etc. etc. :unsure:

I will check the specifications area as well, but what are the differences between the Sunsetter and the Sunscape?

1 year and a new top deck, oh and of course a different name

-Chris

Ski behind one before you make up your mind. I would never own one, but that's me. Make sure the wake is acceptable to you.

Agree..if you are an avid skier....you will hate skiing behind a v-drive. If recreational, than a v-drive is fine. I had a '03 LSV...it had a pretty flat wake above 30...same hull as 02

Agree..if you are an avid skier....you will hate skiing behind a v-drive. If recreational, than a v-drive is fine. I had a '03 LSV...it had a pretty flat wake above 30...same hull as 02

If the wake flattens out at 30mph, then we'll probably be good. We are both good recreational skiers, no more than that... If I needed to ski a course or have a comp level wake, I could probably always ski behind Norcalibu's Sporty... eh Mike? We like to get a set or two in and then it's wakeboarding or pulling kids on a tube (shhh, don't tell anyone...).

As we and the kids get older, us skiing is less important and them being able to be out on the boat having fun is more important. The doghouse in the middle of the boat is getting bulky and awkward for all the kids, so I'm thinking it's time to move to the v-drive.

If the wake flattens out at 30mph, then we'll probably be good. We are both good recreational skiers, no more than that... If I needed to ski a course or have a comp level wake, I could probably always ski behind Norcalibu's Sporty... eh Mike? We like to get a set or two in and then it's wakeboarding or pulling kids on a tube (shhh, don't tell anyone...).

As we and the kids get older, us skiing is less important and them being able to be out on the boat having fun is more important. The doghouse in the middle of the boat is getting bulky and awkward for all the kids, so I'm thinking it's time to move to the v-drive.

I have a VTX, and I know that you are not in that price market......yet, I will caution you with one thing. No matter how good your v-drive is at slalom, the more bodies, the worse the ski wake. One thing to always remember, your pylon is behind all the seating. What this means is that all the passengers can effectively sit behind where your rope used to be tied to. This will put more weight in the rear and the wake will be larger. What we try and do is make sure if we have extra people in the boat, they are relegated to the bow area. It makes a huge difference. Others will chime in I'm sure.

Good luck, and great boating.

Trent

If I needed to ski a course or have a comp level wake, I could probably always ski behind Norcalibu's Sporty... eh Mike?

You KNOW that. :thumbup: Anytime. :yes:

I even have a loaner drysuit for you now. :biggrin:

I've got a nice 2003 21 LSV for sale.... but you'll need to figure some shipping. :)

Peter

Thanks Peter, but I don't think I can afford the 2003 and I believe it has the wake hull as opposed to the diamond, right?

I've started a pretty consistent search for a 2001 Sunsetter VLX... we'll see what I come up with! Anyone in the Norcal area have one that I could ski behind, come spring time, so I can check out the ski wake...? :)

I've got a nice 2003 21 LSV for sale.... but you'll need to figure some shipping. :)

Peter

Oh, wait, you said LSV... I guess that means it's a Sunscape and therefore is on the Diamond, right? I'm guessing I still couldn't afford it... :( I did however check your website but couldn't find it in your online inventory :dontknow:

With two kids and friends with kids, I'm beginning to think a more user friendly interior layout might be a decent idea, so I've been contemplating looking for a v-drive boat. As my GF and I are primarily skiers (open water/good, no course) we still want the boat to be a good skiing boat while providing a more kid friendly layout. I'm ok with the boat having ballast and wedge as I do enjoy wakeboarding too and I'm sure the kids will get more into boarding than skiing.

So my question to all the pro's is: what is the v-drive with the best ski wake in the 98-02 year range? (btw, I'm thinking 98-02 for cost reasons).

I do tons of research and take my time with any purchase, so I'm in no rush, just starting the looking/research phase...

Thanks for the help!

Having a boat to fit all needs is great. However... I don't want to seem negitive, but don't go out buy a boat based on your friends with kids in mind and try to fit everyones wants. Their not paying for it. Get the boat that you are happy sking behind, driving, towing and maintaining.

Congrats on your future boat purchase! :clap: