Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing Trim Pad From Side of Walk-thru

SunriseH2OSkier

I recently picked up a new Infinity Basslink for the RLXi. Feeling pretty good about it, cause I got it for a great price. Yahoo.gif Was planning to put it on the floor in front of the driver foot pad under the dash, only to realize this weekend that it doesn't want to fit there. The factory installed hot tube for my heater is mounted near the floor in the side of the walk-thru, and eats up a lot of the space. :Doh:

I spent about an hour trying to find an orientation for the basslink that will allow it to fit, but am not having much luck. Between the heater hanging from the dash, the hot tube, and the steering and throttle cables, it just isn't looking good.

I'm starting to toy with the idea of moving the hot tube. I'd have to figure out what to do with the 4" dia hole in the walk thru, but I figure I could put some kind of a plastic vent/grill on it and make it look like it was supposed to be there. Trouble is, the hot tube is secured to the wall with two screws, one of which is covered by the trim pad.

Can anyone tell me how that trim pad is secured to the wall? I searched for a while from the backside under the dash, but couldn't see anything that would make sense. I was expecting there to be threaded rods with fender washers/nuts. There definitely aren't any of those.

Jerry, if I remember right mine were held on by phillips screws from underneath the dash. But I have an altogether different model boat. I seem to remember this because I was concerned that the tips of the screws would poke through the pad if someone pushed on it. It doesn't, so the plastic backing to the pad must be pretty thick. So, if yours is like that, you have to dig through the carpeting on the underside of the dash looking for burried phillips heads. They can be hard to locate.

If you need a hand, let me know. I have a 4" hole saw from where I installed my hot-tubes. I like drilling holes in other people's boats. After the tower and the wedge, mine might not even float next year.

How about a euro vent in place of the tube? Might even be able to make it functional if you tee the vent hose.

Edited by vette-ski
Jerry, if I remember right mine were held on by phillips screws from underneath the dash.  But I have an altogether different model boat.  I seem to remember this because I was concerned that the tips of the screws would poke through the pad if someone pushed on it.  It doesn't, so the plastic backing to the pad must be pretty thick.

This was exactly my thought. Guess I'll just have to poke around a bit to find the screws.

If you need a hand, let me know.  I have a 4" hole saw from where I installed my hot-tubes.  I like drilling holes in other people's boats.  After the tower and the wedge, mine might not even float next year.

Boy, how can I refuse an offer like that? Tongue.gif Actually, I've already got a 4" hole saw, and I've had opportunity twice before to put rather large holes in the glass. First time was mounting dash speakers in my '01 Sunsetter, most recently was to mount a Sony remote on the transom on my RLXi. Takes some stones and a beer to take the edge off the nerves - just one though, nerves tend to keep you from doing something stupid. :)

How about a euro vent in place of the tube?  Might even be able to make it functional if you tee the vent hose.

I was thinking along these lines, although I don't know that it would do much to make it functional. Too low to the floor to do any good.

I might not be understanding you correctly, but if by trim pad you mean the vinyl "walls" in the walk through, those are attached with "christmas tree screws" (my own technical term). To get them off, put a screwdriver in a towel and then pry the trim panel out (the towel prevents scratches at the pry points). On a rlxi, there is about 8-10 of these plastic trees that need to get pryed out. When you want to replace, just line up the christmas trees (on the panel itself) with the holes in fiberglass wall and push. The best place to start is the wall closest to left passenger, top corner.

Jerry: Do you have a 2 vent or 3 vent heater under the dash. The two vent heater and the Basslink without the hot tube, fits with all sorts of room. Can you move the foot rest panel forward? Cut and mount a grille in the panel if you do end up mounting the Basslink there, improves the sound greatly

Larry - I've got the 3 outlet heater, but that isn't really a problem by itself. If it wasn't for the hot tube location, it would fit just like yours. I am gonna take another look and see if I can mount the unit horizontally on a platform that would straddle the hot tube, but I don't think the footrest leaves enough room to do that.

Also, did you cut a hole in your footrest for the sound? If so, got any pics of that?

JohnDoe - Thanks for the info on the christmas tree mounting. Saves me a bit of effort searching for screws that aren't there!

Larry - I've got the 3 outlet heater, but that isn't really a problem by itself.  If it wasn't for the hot tube location, it would fit just like yours.  I am gonna take another look and see if I can mount the unit horizontally on a platform that would straddle the hot tube, but I don't think the footrest leaves enough room to do that.

Also, did you cut a hole in your footrest for the sound?  If so, got any pics of that?

JohnDoe - Thanks for the info on the christmas tree mounting.  Saves me a bit of effort searching for screws that aren't there!

With the hole in the footrest the bass isn't as muddy. Picked the grille up at Radio,Knobs, Speakers and Things for $8.