Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Led's on Trailer?

old skool malibu

I had some Led's on my trailer on the ol' 89 Sunsetter. I have seen some picks from other crew members who have installed LED's on their trailers. I am thinking about installing a few for the VTX but looking for ideas. Please post your picks and suggestions.

I love the "runway lights" on my boatmate trailer. I didnt install them...I had the factory do it when they built the trailer. BUT, they look simple enough to install, and if I ever bought a boat with out them I'd probably put them on my self. There is a control box in the back that is supposed to only turn them on when it is in the water, but before we even left the dealers lot we by-passed that box so they'd stay on all the time. No only does it look cool when you are trailering the boat down the road, but the lights really do make loading it at night easier, too. I might grab another set of thoes leds and put 1 or 2 in each guide post pointing in, too! I keep thinking about putting some red 'ground effects" leds on the trailer facing down. I always thought they looked stupid on cars, but I think it'd look sweet under the boat.

I'm a big fan of the lighted malibu sign on the fenders, too!

- C

P1050817.JPG

IMG_1320.jpg

I love the "runway lights" on my boatmate trailer. I didnt install them...I had the factory do it when they built the trailer. BUT, they look simple enough to install, and if I ever bought a boat with out them I'd probably put them on my self. There is a control box in the back that is supposed to only turn them on when it is in the water, but before we even left the dealers lot we by-passed that box so they'd stay on all the time. No only does it look cool when you are trailering the boat down the road, but the lights really do make loading it at night easier, too. I might grab another set of thoes leds and put 1 or 2 in each guide post pointing in, too! I keep thinking about putting some red 'ground effects" leds on the trailer facing down. I always thought they looked stupid on cars, but I think it'd look sweet under the boat.

- C

P1050817.JPG

IMG_1320.jpg

Looks cool, any picks of how the lights are installed on the traile? I did have the red ground effects lights on my old boat. Looked pretty cool for sure!

I used LED rope lights to light my pylons's on my trailer.

My buddy owns the company so I taked to him and he said he could help out the crew since he spends lots of time on my Bu. Thumbup.gif He said use the code "MalibuCrew" to get free shipping on his site when ordering.

Check them out.....

UsLEDSupply Rope Lights

Here's some shots of my boat with the RGB rope light installed. We installed strips of the RGB rope lights on the trailer guide pylons. We wired the red lead to the brakes and turn signals. The blue is wired to a float switch so when the trailer is backed into the water the pylons go from red to blue (if your foot is on the brake otherwise they simply turn blue). Pretty cool and it made my wife happy as she has trouble seeing the pylons when putting the boat back on the trailer at night. The pylon has a piece of white PVC with a slot cut in it slipped overtop. The LED's are silicon'ed into the slot. We then bought clear PVC and sandblasted the tube to make it diffuse the light a bit. Finished it off with a Malibu logo and wala!

The whole album is here, but here's a few shots.

SunsetteronWateratNight34.jpg

SunsetteronWateratNight30.jpg

DSC04178.jpg

IMG_5256-1200.jpg

IMG_5272-1200.jpg

IMG_5273-1200.jpg

IMG_5259-1200.jpg

IMG_5284-1200.jpg

- C

IMG_1320.jpg

Why is the top hoop wrapped??

New boat..just took delivery?

exactly!

The rope light in the guide posts look awesome, I'm in for sure! I'll be getting some from that site sooon, thanks for the post!

• 2 weeks later...

- C

P1050817.JPG

IMG_1320.jpg

Looks like you can buy these directly from Boatmate for $135. Where do they install on the trailer? Pictures would be fantastic!

http://www.boatmateparts.com/products/LED+Lights+and+Grommets-tag-LED+Lights+and+Grommets/RUNWAY+LIGHT+KIT-t-60-1041RL+.htm

Here is a pick Jerry Jones at Boatmate sent me. I sent them an email and within 10 minutes got a response! I have an Extreme Trailer, not Boatmate. Great service!

post-4887-044760800 1294176226_thumb.jpg

Here is a pick Jerry Jones at Boatmate sent me. I sent them an email and within 10 minutes got a response! I have an Extreme Trailer, not Boatmate. Great service!

You will need to drill a 3/4" hole in your main rail of your trailer for every light, I have a set that I haven't installed yet. It's on my list for winter upgrades!

Terry

I'm a DIY type, so I'd buy the lights individually, UCL-11CKB and the switch on amazon, Johnson Ultima Bilge switch. $37 for the switch and $6/light.

I'm a DIY type, so I'd buy the lights individually, UCL-11CKB and the switch on amazon, Johnson Ultima Bilge switch. $37 for the switch and $6/light.

Help the Crew and put together a parts list where to buy :yahoo::thumbup:

- C

P1050817.JPG

IMG_1320.jpg

Where is the control box located? Can it easily be tricked by turning a switch on the box of does it have to be completly by-passed? I would like the flexibility of manually being able to turn the lights on if the boat is not in the water but not sure I want on 100% of the time. If the control box has a on switch that would rock!

You will need to drill a 3/4" hole in your main rail of your trailer for every light, I have a set that I haven't installed yet. It's on my list for winter upgrades!

Terry

Take some pictures of your install - I would like to see how you make out. Thanks

I agree. I haven't been able to find a website to purchase the lights, only the manufacturer website.

http://www.optronicsinc.com/oempages/ucl11-new.html?height=600&width=800

Well Boatmate sells the entire kit 135 and they have 12 LED if you get them for 6 bucks each that's $72 right there they gotta make a little dough and the other parts lets say cost 30 -35 for the switch so I would say for 20 or 30 bucks more might make sense if you cant find the lights...looks like you need to by the lights in Bulk of 50.

I would say worth the 135...it creates jobs :whistle: IMHO

Well Boatmate sells the entire kit 135 and they have 12 LED if you get them for 6 bucks each that's $72 right there they gotta make a little dough and the other parts lets say cost 30 -35 for the switch so I would say for 20 or 30 bucks more might make sense if you cant find the lights...looks like you need to by the lights in Bulk of 50.

I would say worth the 135...it creates jobs :whistle: IMHO

Thanks, but I only need the lights since I'd probably wire them off a switch inside my truck.

I used LED rope lights to light my pylons's on my trailer.

My buddy owns the company so I taked to him and he said he could help out the crew since he spends lots of time on my Bu. Thumbup.gif He said use the code "MalibuCrew" to get free shipping on his site when ordering.

Check them out.....

UsLEDSupply Rope Lights

Here's some shots of my boat with the RGB rope light installed. We installed strips of the RGB rope lights on the trailer guide pylons. We wired the red lead to the brakes and turn signals. The blue is wired to a float switch so when the trailer is backed into the water the pylons go from red to blue (if your foot is on the brake otherwise they simply turn blue). Pretty cool and it made my wife happy as she has trouble seeing the pylons when putting the boat back on the trailer at night. The pylon has a piece of white PVC with a slot cut in it slipped overtop. The LED's are silicon'ed into the slot. We then bought clear PVC and sandblasted the tube to make it diffuse the light a bit. Finished it off with a Malibu logo and wala!

The whole album is here, but here's a few shots.

SunsetteronWateratNight34.jpg

SunsetteronWateratNight30.jpg

DSC04178.jpg

IMG_5256-1200.jpg

IMG_5272-1200.jpg

IMG_5273-1200.jpg

IMG_5259-1200.jpg

IMG_5284-1200.jpg

Love the guide lighting.