Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

steering help needed

Lance B. Johnson

My boat is 10 years old and just has a tiny bit of slop. I slalom so I have a moderately stout rudder torque setting.

Torque your rudder, this is probably the problem and if not, this will still take the slop out of your steering.

Torque your rudder, this is probably the problem and if not, this will still take the slop out of your steering.

The concern is slop in the wheel even when the boat is on the trailer...meaning worn steering components.

I dont understand why you cant have someone move the wheel sligthly back and forth while you watch all the moving components. where you se slop fix there. this should be very easy to locate. If you have a little movement at each attachment point it can add up fast. start at one end and romove play at each point till you get to the end. You might need to lock down the rudder or have someone hold it while looking.

I dont understand why you cant have someone move the wheel sligthly back and forth while you watch all the moving components. where you se slop fix there. this should be very easy to locate. If you have a little movement at each attachment point it can add up fast. start at one end and romove play at each point till you get to the end. You might need to lock down the rudder or have someone hold it while looking.

You wasn't payin attention :Tease3:

I did all that and there is no apparent slop in any component *that can be seen* read the last post....the slack is indeed in the cable housing. I unbolted the rack and there was at least 1/2 an inch of free play as witnessed by my Iphone.

Problem solved guys, I will replace the rack/ cable. Then, if needed, I will tune the rudder.

Edited by Ruffdog