Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

steering help needed

Lance B. Johnson

I have a lot of slop in the steering about 1" and I can steer with my pinky.

The boat has gotten really tough to tow a rider....I do think it is getting worse.

Heres the catch...and many of you know that I have some mechanical ability......but I can't find the source of the slop.

I have had the helm apart and found no appreciable wear. I have had the pinion gear off and inspected again no wear. I have inspected the rack and found no wear. I have inspected the heim joint at the rudder and its fine. I have inspected the fixed cable mount by the rudder, it is fine.

Every component mentioned above has some slop as expected so stacked tolerances could add up to one inch? Doubt it on a boat with 3XX hours.

I called Ski Dim and they didn't know. Their answer was to start with the helm and work back. That sounds like parts replacing to me....guessing. No offense we all love our bus but compared to a car these parts are made very cheaply (looks like MC and CC use the same parts tho.)

So what did I miss?

Edited by Ruffdog

Did you get your steering cable wet? If this is bothering you this badly just put in a new cable.

Hmmmm, I guess I don't see how a cable causes slop. Every case of a bad cable I have heard of has resulted in high effort steering, the opposite of my problem. I can steer from stop to stop with my pinky, while on the water under way. Skidim said the same. So that is why I have not put a cable in it.

I do drive an 09 quite often and that steering is WAY better.

Edited by Ruffdog

Where are you measuring the 1" of slop?

-The steering circumference (side to side play)

-The rudder arm

-The rack & pinion

I think are boats would have some play in the steering. The rack & pinion just don't have a very close tolerence.

It's not a european sports car, more like a ford or chevy that kind of dirfts between the lines. :crazy:

Where are you measuring the 1" of slop?

-The steering circumference (side to side play)

-The rudder arm

-The rack & pinion

I think are boats would have some play in the steering. The rack & pinion just don't have a very close tolerence.

It's not a european sports car, more like a ford or chevy that kind of dirfts between the lines. :crazy:

1 inch at the steering wheel side to side. I do get to compare it to an 09 (uses same parts BTW) and mine is much much worse.

Any ideas woody?

Edited by Ruffdog

Oh, I thought when you said "it was tough to tow a rider" you meant it was hard to steer. It that case it sounds like your rudder is set at neutral torque.

Ya I thought about that too and I do intend on adjusting it. Still doesn't explain all the slop. How much side to side play do you have on your steering wheel? The 09 I drive occasionally has none.

I don't see how a steel cable couldn't cause the slack??? However, I'd look at three areas; the space between the two gears at the helm, where the rudder shaft connects to the steering arm or the shaft where the steering wheel bolts to. You should be able to disconnect the cable from the steering arm and extend the cable to it's maximum travel (unsure which way to turn it). Then put a small vice grip on the cable next to the sheath and gently turn the steering wheel. If there's still some play at the wheel it will most likely be the space between the gears or the gears themselves. If this test has limited travel then have someone hold the rudder while it's bottomed out at maximum travel (either way) and see if the steering arm moves or has any play. One of these tests should pinpoint where the problem is.

I think I'd have a buddy grab the rudder and hold it still, while you turned the wheel a bit, and see if you can "feel" where the loose portion is.

Steve B.

(Take the key out of the ignition please :) )

I don't see how a steel cable couldn't cause the slack??? However, I'd look at three areas; the space between the two gears at the helm, where the rudder shaft connects to the steering arm or the shaft where the steering wheel bolts to. You should be able to disconnect the cable from the steering arm and extend the cable to it's maximum travel (unsure which way to turn it). Then put a small vice grip on the cable next to the sheath and gently turn the steering wheel. If there's still some play at the wheel it will most likely be the space between the gears or the gears themselves. If this test has limited travel then have someone hold the rudder while it's bottomed out at maximum travel (either way) and see if the steering arm moves or has any play. One of these tests should pinpoint where the problem is.

oops, I didn't read your entire post scfdfireman... great idea ha !

Steve B.

Ya I thought about that too and I do intend on adjusting it. Still doesn't explain all the slop. How much side to side play do you have on your steering wheel? The 09 I drive occasionally has none.

My boat is 10 years old and just has a tiny bit of slop. I slalom so I have a moderately stout rudder torque setting.

1 inch at the steering wheel side to side. I do get to compare it to an 09 (uses same parts BTW) and mine is much much worse.

Any ideas woody?

If you really want to troubleshoot it, start at the back and disconnect each piece and inspect for any little type of wear/"slop". I think you'll find the most of the movement is in the rack & pinion area.

How much grease is packed in the gear/rack? Put some more grease in it to absorb some of the movement.

If you really want to troubleshoot it, start at the back and disconnect each piece and inspect for any little type of wear/"slop". I think you'll find the most of the movement is in the rack & pinion area.

How much grease is packed in the gear/rack? Put some more grease in it to absorb some of the movement.

Yes this is what I did. And I get the impression it is in the rack as well. Yup I packed a much thicker grease than the original. There is no sign of wear on the pinion or the rack. I even lightly filed the mounting points on the pinion so as to decrease the space between the pinion teeth. No appreciable difference.

There does seem to be some slack between the cable and rack. The only thing that would cause that though would be a manufacture defect.

I think I am just going to replace the cable/ rack assembly. Just doesn't seem right on a 300 hour boat. They don't have any noticeable wear either.

Edited by Ruffdog

Yes this is what I did. And I get the impression it is in the rack as well. Yup I packed a much thicker grease than the original. There is no sign of wear on the pinion or the rack. I even lightly filed the mounting points on the pinion so as to decrease the space between the pinion teeth. No appreciable difference.

There does seem to be some slack between the cable and rack. The only thing that would cause that though would be a manufacture defect.

I think I am just going to replace the cable/ rack assembly. Just doesn't seem right on a 300 hour boat. They don't have any noticeable wear either.

One question... Before you spend the $$$ for a new cable, is your buddy with the '09 willing to let you take apart his rack & pinion to make a comparision between your boat and his?

One question... Before you spend the $$$ for a new cable, is your buddy with the '09 willing to let you take apart his rack & pinion to make a comparision between your boat and his?

BS001 whatcha say? :lol:

suppose I could ask.

I replaced the pinion (I think that is what it is called) on my 05 VLX for a similar reason. made a noticable differencebut didn't eliminate the problem completely.. I believe there is a different steering arm that attaches to the rudder that helps a s well... I would replace the pinion first...

I replaced the pinion (I think that is what it is called) on my 05 VLX for a similar reason. made a noticable differencebut didn't eliminate the problem completely.. I believe there is a different steering arm that attaches to the rudder that helps a s well... I would replace the pinion first...

Pennery,

Thanks, did you have any other steering issues maybe with the helm? Was the steering a little to loose?

I think I'd have a buddy grab the rudder and hold it still, while you turned the wheel a bit, and see if you can "feel" where the loose portion is.

Steve B.

(Take the key out of the ignition please :) )

:plus1: I too think the rudder is set wrong, did you ever file it? You need alittle torque on it to hold the line in the course

Very common to replace the cable on a 300 hour boat especially if you have gotten your cable wet.

consider shaving the rudder?

tournament drivers load steering to one side.

if you loaded yours to one side then i don't think that the slop would be a problem while towing.

I think this will solve your problem. Any time I drove a neutral steering boat the steering felt loose, on a loaded rudder much less so.

:plus1: I too think the rudder is set wrong, did you ever file it? You need alittle torque on it to hold the line in the course

Yup I totally agree but that only addresses part of the issue. This boat has a tuneable rudder also so that will be easy. Doesn't address the 1" of free play.

Put it this way....I can move the steering wheel a full inch before the rudder moves 1mm.

So folks here is what I did last night. I removed the rack and set my iphone up to record the tiller arm (no helper to watch) using a screw driver I moved the rack back and forth feeling for slop....the steering rack can move about 1/2 inch before the tiller arm moves at all. The connection at the tiller arm is really good as is the connection at the block.

The only possible cause of this is a sloppy fit between the cable and cable housing requires cable replacement....

I will replace the cable and then tune the rudder if it needs it.

Edited by Ruffdog

I think this will solve your problem. Any time I drove a neutral steering boat the steering felt loose, on a loaded rudder much less so.

How much play do you have in your steering wheel while on the trailer? 1" doesn't seem right to me and the 09 I drive certainly doesn't have that much.

Edited by Ruffdog