Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ignition beeps

I am only a new malibu owner so am still learning, Just wish to know if beeps at ignition start up are usual or do I have a problem. The beeps occur as the gauges fire up and stops once engine starts. any help would be appreciated.

Scott

That's normal. It's a safety feature. It lets everyone know (including those who may be in the water) that the engine is about to be started.

Welcome.gif Welcome to the site and congrats on your purchase. Thumbup.gif

I am only a new malibu owner so am still learning, Just wish to know if beeps at ignition start up are usual or do I have a problem. The beeps occur as the gauges fire up and stops once engine starts. any help would be appreciated.

Scott

Thanks for that, I really appreciate it

Scott

Scott

Scott,

NORCALIBU is right, but there is actually a main reason why it beeps on key up. Back then there was no delay set in for the engine's ecm. On key up you get your fuel/volt/ and temp readings. The one that is reading zero, the oil Pressure, is actually why the alarm is beeping. The ecm is turning on a GEN1 alarm telling the MDC or MMDC (brain that controls your gauges) that the oil pressure is too low.

In 2006 when MEFI5 Ecms were introduced into Indmar /Malibu production, there is now a set RPM paremeter so the alarm will not sound until the RPM's reach over 300 rpm's. So no more annoying beeping on key up!!!

Hope that makes sense... just know that nothing is broken!!!

To prove this, you can actually ground out the oil pressure sending unit, pressure will go to full and the beeping will stop.

I once had a mentor that said - "If ever a day passes that you didn't learn something new...you weren't paying attention!"

Thanks 98mallybu, you got me covered for today. Thumbup.gif

(Now I can go through the rest of my day half-asleep Biggrin.gif )

I once had a mentor that said - "If ever a day passes that you didn't learn something new...you weren't paying attention!"

On a conference call. ROFL.gif

Will anyone notice a difference?

ROFL.gif

When my sales guy was orienting me to the new boat, he would turn on the key, and let the guages all set, and the beeping stop. Then he would start the engine. I guess he waited about 7-8 seconds from the time he turned the key on, until he started the engine.

Is this what everyone else does, or do you just start the engine right away? I am too lazy to look in the manual and see if this is recommended. Just wondering! Dontknow.gif

I have always waited for the guages - now mostly out of habit.

Then after a long weekend on the boat I try to do it when I start the truck - anyone else?

Although, the fuel also primes at this time.

I would bet this is the reason they tell you to wait. I don't see any reason to wait for the gauges to cycle...they always catch up

And my beeping doesn't stop until the engine is started, no matter how long I wait, I'm guessing it's the low oil pressure alarm doing its thing.

Edited by rts