Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding a CAT

Jimmypooh

I did a search and couldn't come up with anything. I love surfing but I feel like I'm getting smoked out back there. I'm thinking about adding a CAT to the exhaust system. Has anyone done this mod to a vDrive? I have a 06 VLX. I'm also considering an Fresh Air Exhaust System for use with the power wedge. Any thoughts on which is better? Is there any performance issues with the FAE system? It seems like there is a lot more drag with that down in the water, and I can't imagine the stresses on those pipes up at speed. I'm suprised they don't just break off. Thanks!

Jim

06 is right. Here is what Larry at FAE came up with for me. I know he has refined the setup since I was the tester but it is well worth it. we Surf 95% of the time both goofy and regular I have an 07 with the 383 HH. I miss the sound of the engine but safety is a higher concern.

I did not notice the exhaust until I made a modified swim deck. The OEM fiberglass deck is so large that it forces the exhaust down and to the opposite side. But it put a secondary lip into the wave. I built a small teak deck that does not even touch the water when at surf speed 11.5 mph. The FAE is well worth it now, plus I think they are on sale and if you need to it can be removed in 1/2 hr back to stock with no modifications.

Some Photos

Fam067Medium.jpg

boat028Small.jpg

Wedge013.jpg

Adding CAT's would mean new Exh manifolds also. The type of metal cats used in marine are very very expensive and come as a manifold unit. The FAE is the only good option.

Good info, thanks guys. The only real issue I have with the FAE is that it doesn't do much when not moving. I Don't want to get gassed when getting up onto the platform after I've fallen surfing (I mean I never fall :whistle: ). I suppose I can hold my breath until back under way.

Does the contraption spin at all at the hose clamps. I would think the force of the water would cause a problem in that area.

I think they are on sale

What are the normal prices?

Looks like it's in the vacinity of $550 right now for a VLX w/power wedge.

Good info, thanks guys. The only real issue I have with the FAE is that it doesn't do much when not moving. I Don't want to get gassed when getting up onto the platform after I've fallen surfing (I mean I never fall :whistle: ). I suppose I can hold my breath until back under way.

Why is your boat running when it is not moving? :unsure:

Why is your boat running when it is not moving? :unsure:

I start from the platform when surfing, so there's no sense shutting off the engine for 3 seconds while I get back on the platform.

I start from the platform when surfing, so there's no sense shutting off the engine for 3 seconds while I get back on the platform.

That makes sense. I guess I am used to water sports that require a rope :crazy:

Does the contraption spin at all at the hose clamps. I would think the force of the water would cause a problem in that area.

What are the normal prices?

Looks like it's in the vacinity of $550 right now for a VLX w/power wedge.

I have the cats on my boat and I can still smell the exhaust, they don't eliminate it. However it's not an issue while surfing, I hardly ever smell it. I'd say if someone has cats and smells exhaust all the time they are surfing to close to the boat :biggrin: .

I have the cats on my boat and I can still smell the exhaust, they don't eliminate it. However it's not an issue while surfing, I hardly ever smell it. I'd say if someone has cats and smells exhaust all the time they are surfing to close to the boat :biggrin: .

I noticed a pretty big difference when surfing on Coach Mike's 08 LSV

Common, thats what surfing is all about. A little CO makes it even more fun.

Funny I am in a shop with poor ventilation most of my life.....I never notice the exhaust when surfing. Where I do notice the exhaust is when I am on my bike.

Edited by Ruffdog

I put the FAE on my 07VLX, and it made a HUGE difference in the smell. my daughter tends to sit in the rear surf side spot, and i did not want to have her getting the fumes all day. with the FAE, there are no exhaust fumes in the boat or behind the boat while moving.

However, i did notice that the FAE tends to wash out the top of the surf wave, so you have to do a little extra to make sure that the rider does not get a lot of spray.

I have ridden behind boats with the CATS, and there is still some exhaust smell.

Do you have the STE's or the flappers? One thing to note is that the STE's use a 3 screw setup whereas the flappers use a 4 screw setup. the FAE uses a 4 screw setup, so if you have STE, you will have to remove and redrill holes for the FAE to fit.

Be sure to install all of the washers though. i lost half of my FAE after i made a quick turn at speed. now that i have the washers on, i have not had an issue.

there is some play in the connectors. I end up checking mine everytime i go out. however, after a full day, i only notice that it will move if i am going back to the dock at WOT, and it will only move about 25-30 degrees rearward.

EDIT: Larry at FAE has some of the best customer service around. When i lost part of my FAE, i called him at 7pm on a sat night, and he answered. by the time i got the boat back to the dock (20 minutes later) he already had sent me an email with the details on the replacement part.

Edited by NewMalibu

Here is a shot of the wave with the FAE. I have not noticed any negative effects but we run with the wedge in the full down position.

690027.jpg

it might depend on the weight. I dont know how much you are running, but we run 1100 in the rear locker (plus surfside MLS, Center, Bow and 800 in sac's up front). the little bit of spray you have in the right side of the pic above, tends to fold over on the rider a little bit if we are not careful. Interestingly, we tend to see the spray as more of an issue on the port side versus the goofy side.

I put the FAE on my 07VLX, and it made a HUGE difference in the smell. my daughter tends to sit in the rear surf side spot, and i did not want to have her getting the fumes all day. with the FAE, there are no exhaust fumes in the boat or behind the boat while moving.

However, i did notice that the FAE tends to wash out the top of the surf wave, so you have to do a little extra to make sure that the rider does not get a lot of spray.

I have ridden behind boats with the CATS, and there is still some exhaust smell.

Do you have the STE's or the flappers? One thing to note is that the STE's use a 3 screw setup whereas the flappers use a 4 screw setup. the FAE uses a 4 screw setup, so if you have STE, you will have to remove and redrill holes for the FAE to fit.

Be sure to install all of the washers though. i lost half of my FAE after i made a quick turn at speed. now that i have the washers on, i have not had an issue.

there is some play in the connectors. I end up checking mine everytime i go out. however, after a full day, i only notice that it will move if i am going back to the dock at WOT, and it will only move about 25-30 degrees rearward.

EDIT: Larry at FAE has some of the best customer service around. When i lost part of my FAE, i called him at 7pm on a sat night, and he answered. by the time i got the boat back to the dock (20 minutes later) he already had sent me an email with the details on the replacement part.

If I am not mistaken my old 2007 VLX with monsoon had the Cats as well... Unless your boat has the 320 LCR I believe your boat would have the Cats as well...

If I am not mistaken my old 2007 VLX with monsoon had the Cats as well... Unless your boat has the 320 LCR I believe your boat would have the Cats as well...

He's got the HH and that motor didn't get cats until 08'.