Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

need info on 2002 23LSV

stroker-ace

You guys may get sick of me before too long, if you haven't already. It is now obvious that I am trying to make a move on a different boat this winter. I am looking at everything from $25k to $40k. I will buy just about anything that makes sense. Emotion never plays a factor in my purchases. I don't have to have the latest and greatest boat technology on the lake. I just want function and to avoid looking like a lake rat.

Having said that, I have come across a 2002 23LSV that looks interesting. I ride behind a 2002 VLX that is the twin to this boat on a regular basis, so I am very familiar with the build of Malibu boats in that year. I am just not a hull expert and have never rode behind a LSV older than 2005.

What can you tell me about the hull in this year? It looks exactly like the VLX I ride behind. Who has experience making surf with a 23ft with this hull (sv23?)? The VLX I ride behind makes a great wave. I assume the LSV will be harder to weight down, but will have better potential than the VLX. This particular boat has a manual wedge where the VLX does not.

What are some of the shortcomings of a 2002 LSV that I should be aware of?

Any other input would be great.

I have searched all over the site and found bits an pieces of info. But most of you ballers ride newer boats and I don't want to compare apples to oranges when it comes to hulls.

2002 is pre-Gorilla fins. So it'll drive like a truck. But if your familiar with the 2002 VLX, you know that. Most anything made after 2004 will handle quite a bit better though.

ya, that boat totally drives like a tractor. i always wondered why. i thought it was just cuz i was used to driving a response.

IIRC pre-04 23 lsvs are ALL diamond hulled boats. In other words, sunscape and wakesetter are same hull. I've never seen pics of a very big surf wave behind a pre-04 23 lsv. Roselaw1 had a sunscape lsv (no ballast) that I surfed behind last summer. With three adults and four kids on board and the wedge down it would throw a surfable wave.

ya, that boat totally drives like a tractor. i always wondered why. i thought it was just cuz i was used to driving a response.

Yea....to both. I bought the Vride after owning a Prostar 205. Even weighted, the 205 drove like it was on train tracks. And I liked that feeling.

A buddy of mine had 2 or 3 Malibus before 2004, and I never cared for how they drove. When he bought his 05 LSV, I was pretty surprised how much better it handled. And then when I got in the smaller VLX from 04 or 05, well, thats when I started considering a Malibu.

Since your in the market, definitely go check out the difference in how the various years/models drive. There are other significant improvements later too, ie; when they went to throttle by wire.

Bill, doesn't your VRide have the same hull as the 2002 VLX? Does the VRide have the gorilla fins?

yes to both (same as 02 hull but with g-fins too).

Edited by shawndoggy

I forgot you have the same boat.

That is what I was thinking. Thanks for the info...since I am looking at anything and everything. You can never have too much knowledge.

Although this boat looks very similar to a VLX from the same era, in terms of a performance it's a completely different beast for the reason shawndoggy mentioned; this boat was only offered with one hull, and was really before Malibu learned how to specialize their wake hulls to perform well.

If there's any way to increase your budget to look at a 2004 or newer 23, or consider a smaller boat and go with the VLX, I think you'll be happy you did.

Not sure if there were engine & prop changes made about that time too. But the newer boats drive, handle & accelerate significantly better. Wakes may very well be better too, I just haven't noticed that.

Although this boat looks very similar to a VLX from the same era, in terms of a performance it's a completely different beast for the reason shawndoggy mentioned; this boat was only offered with one hull, and was really before Malibu learned how to specialize their wake hulls to perform well.

If there's any way to increase your budget to look at a 2004 or newer 23, or consider a smaller boat and go with the VLX, I think you'll be happy you did.

ya, i have my eye on a couple 2004 LSV...they are in the budget. i am just a cheapskate. however, it is not rational to spend less on something that wont do the job right. so 2002 LSV is probably going to be out.

I am basically researching every make on my short list of MC (out), Supra, Nautique and Bu and narrowing my list by process of elimination through a certain set of criteria.

Speaking of Nautique, I had a friend who went from Malibu to Nautique and due to prop rotation he said everything was backweards and he had to learn to drive all over again. suck!

We have an 02 23 LSV, and it definately drives like a tractor with the wedge down and full of weight. W ehave only surfed with it once, and the hardest part was keeping the speed constant. If you can get enough wieght in it, it definately makes a good wave (sorry, no pics) we had a couple experianced surfers out with us, showing us how to do it. We had the wedge down, 5 adults and 4 kids onboard, and all the balast tanks full. She definately wanted another 800 or so on the surf side.

Hope that helps a little.

We have an 02 23 LSV, and it definately drives like a tractor with the wedge down and full of weight. W ehave only surfed with it once, and the hardest part was keeping the speed constant. If you can get enough wieght in it, it definately makes a good wave (sorry, no pics) we had a couple experianced surfers out with us, showing us how to do it. We had the wedge down, 5 adults and 4 kids onboard, and all the balast tanks full. She definately wanted another 800 or so on the surf side.

Hope that helps a little.

:thumbup:

The stock prop on the 02 is a 381. You want at least the 537 of newer prop to get better hole shot and the ability to hold consistant speed at surfing or wake boarding speed.

Oh sure, you can get a decent surf wake out of any inboard watersports boat (and anything is going to need more than stock ballast), but there's a significant difference between the '99-'03 23 and the '04+ boats in terms of performance. Doesn't mean the first generation isn't a fantastic boat, just that the later models are more fantasticer. :D

On any 23' boat, I would consider the 537 out of date now, you'll want to go with at least the ACME 1939 or OJ 490 for a boat that weighs that much.

What can you tell me about the hull in this year? It looks exactly like the VLX I ride behind. Who has experience making surf with a 23ft with this hull (sv23?)? The VLX I ride behind makes a great wave. I assume the LSV will be harder to weight down, but will have better potential than the VLX. This particular boat has a manual wedge where the VLX does not.

What are some of the shortcomings of a 2002 LSV that I should be aware of?

Any other input would be great.

I have searched all over the site and found bits an pieces of info. But most of you ballers ride newer boats and I don't want to compare apples to oranges when it comes to hulls.

Do you specialize in any particular watersport event? FWIW, I needed V-drive space for my "party of 5" family + friends. However, my two previous boats were an Echelon LX and a Mastercraft PS205 and while I enjoy wakeboarding I like to slalom @ heart and I have just not gotten used to how a Vdrive handles - no matter what year I tried.

I ended up going with a 2002 Malibu 23 XTI. I think it is a great crossover boat and cannot figure out why this layout was not much more popular than it is/was. The diamond hull has a great wake for a 23 footer - slightly larger wake but soft and easy to pull hard through on edge. With tower, wedge, and MLS, the boat has a pretty serious "rampy" wake for boarding. I have not yet tried to load it with additional ballast and surf, but I believe you can get it to throw a good surf wake from what I have read in various forums.

Good luck in your search - I love window shopping for that next "upgrade"!

-- Mike

Edited by EchelonMike