Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surgery on the Skier

I thought it was more of a strip issue with the lags and a pretty easy fix. However after digging in more it was a more of a rot issue. When I pulled the floor, the secondary stringers could be moved and twisted by hand and the primary stringers were ok but pretty hollow sounding. A sad xmas....

Sorry to hear that..When we put the new 330hp motor and rebulit tranny in my 89 Sunsetter the lag bolts were not quite holding up. We did some checking and the rear stringers looked suspect but I was in no position to have the stringers, floor and carpet redone and I was not certain they needed replacing. We built this brace and it is still holding up just fine (as far as I know). You may want to look at a similar mount for your motor instead of using the lad bolt set up. More mounting points = greater strenght!

post-4887-010033100 1294092160_thumb.jpg

Edited by old skool malibu
  • 2 weeks later...

Update, we have 2 of 4 stringers back in. We replaced the secondary floor support stringers in first. Got them all glassed and pulled out the port side main stringer. We are using White Oak as a replacement. After pulling out the stringers, already, just about any wood would be better than the intitial build Malibu did. 2 of the stringers were plywood and the 2 main were, Pine, we are thinking. Regardless, I'm very suprised they have lasted this long. However, MA, being the previous owner, definitely helps the longevity of a boat.

I thought this could be done in a variety of ways. I was hoping to find little rot and repair becuase of the cherry shape this this boat was in. After opening it up, I don't think I would have gotten another year out of it. The secondary stringers could be bent and pulled out by hand. The main stringers were only supported by the fiberglass wrap, which was still in solidy shape. There was absolutly no wood near the motor mount screws. I was thinking I could have pulled the screws and used the epoxy fit, there was no way this wood coulda been dried. In spots, I could press my thumb into the wood as far as I could go and it would squish back into form. While doing that, water just oozed out. Malibu attached an extra support to the stringer at the motor area. When screwing the lags in, they missed the main stringer and it went in between the stringer and the extra support which was nailed together.

We used white oak for the secondary stringers and will be using it for the main stringers. It is nice and dry and hard ready to get back in the boat. I am sure it is going to add extra weight to the boat too, because the other wood, even it is new day, was a soft light wood. We are increasing the stringer size by 1/4 of an inch, if not more. Attaching an extra support at the motor but, rather than nails, using epoxy and thru bolts to attach. Of course, all stainless is going back in. The stringers from just under the dash to the front were great, The design of the hull kept most water below the stringers. We decided to stop there and attach new from the dash to the transom. The transom is in great shape. At the splice, we are adding 1/4 plate of aluminum that will be thru bolted on the old stringer and new stringer at the ski pole. I do commend Malibu supporting of the ski pole, it wasn't going any where, however, not quite the case for the motor. Here are some pics, I didn't take many. It was one of those things where just get busy and excited and then remember the camera.

boat19.jpg

stringer6.jpg

stringer3.jpg

stringer4.jpg

stringer2.jpg

stringer1.jpg

stringer5.jpg

stringers7.jpg

stringer8.jpg

Edited by skier_88

Oh its coming a long quite well, I was just suprised by the intitial build, but it is taking shape nicely. I'm kinda bummed about getting it back now, I'll have to give up my garage again. The boat takes priority.:biggrin:

Glad to hear it's going well. It looks like your making great progress and doing a good job. I'm still bummed it ever needed done.

I remember talking to rugger while he was working on the Sunsetter and he said the same thing about the late 80's Malibu build quality. He didn't complain about the materials so much as the amount of holes they put in the original stringers. He said it was insane how many fasteners and staples the put through the fiberglass that would cause wood to penetrate the stringer over time.

I hear you on the garage! It has always been the Bu pad at our house. Rockon.gif Certainly have to keep these old Bu's dry!

Edited by martinarcher

The BU is coming back home this week if all goes well!!! I lose my garage space that I have been enjoying this winter, my depression will increase, seeing the boat and not being able to use and I have something to stare at in garage again.

The BU is coming back home this week if all goes well!!! I lose my garage space that I have been enjoying this winter, my depression will increase, seeing the boat and not being able to use and I have something to stare at in garage again.

Sweet! Glad to hear it's getting wrapped up. Looking forward to seeing the finished product pics! Rockon.gif

Went and saw the boat tonight. It is looking sharp. The motor was going back in! Stringers and floor are complete and new carpet back in it. We'll do a complete positioning check this spring when we can get it started. I don't envy anyone that has to do stringer/ floor work. I love the classics, but this is one negative.

Went and saw the boat tonight. It is looking sharp. The motor was going back in! Stringers and floor are complete and new carpet back in it. We'll do a complete positioning check this spring when we can get it started. I don't envy anyone that has to do stringer/ floor work. I love the classics, but this is one negative.

Awesome. Glad to hear it's all coming back together. Rockon.gif What do you mean by positioning check? Are you referring to drive shaft coupling alignment?