Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Floor removal in 2005 Sunscape

speedyalex

Has anyone ever remove the rear floor panel on a V-drive? There are 2 screws which come out easily. The trick is how to lift up the floor panel -- it seems stuck. Any tricks that anyone knows would be helpful. I took on a far amount of water this last year in a storm and I want to make sure it is dried out during the off season. Also, this is a new boat for me and I want to clean out any scum under the floor. i know this basically houses the gas tank for the boat. Thanks for your help.

Has anyone ever remove the rear floor panel on a V-drive? There are 2 screws which come out easily. The trick is how to lift up the floor panel -- it seems stuck.

Once the screws are out, at least IIRC, all you need to do is slide something with a slight hook down between the edge of the floor panel and the surrounding floor. If you can get the hook underneath the edge, you can lift it up. Don't use a screw driver to try to pry it up as the blade of the screw driver will likely just dent the panel or cause the layered components to separate and maybe even tear the carpet.

The rear edges of the panel are held down by the rear seat. You can look there, but on my boat, again IIRC, there weren't any additional screws back there.

Edited by srab

You can also use the screws themselves to pull the floor up. Just back them out partially (out of the stringer) and then use the remaining part of the screw that's in the floor board to help pull up the panel.