Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

89 Sunsetter Rudder Bushing Replacement Part/Method

The support/sleeve for the rudder shaft on the bottom of my 1989 sunsetter is cracked. This piece is bolted through the boat and the rudder shaft passed through it. I would like to purchase and replace this piece. Suggestions on where to purchase this piece and also on replacement method is greatly appreciiated. I purchased the boat last spring and notice the crack when I bought the boat. The steering feels sluggish but I did not observe any leaking. I expect this damage occured from the rudder hitting an object. The rudder does not show any damage.

Thanks,

Ken

www.marinehardware.com

www.skidim.com

I removed and repaired my rudder this year after someone left a giant rock in the middle of the river.

We had to float the boat back so that it sat 8 inches or so off the trailer in order to drop the rudder and clear the trailer prop cage.

If it is cracked I would recommend thinking about replacing the entire housing with the greasable unit that comes on the new Malibu's. It will bolt up to your boat and would be way better than the old packing style fittings the older Bu's like yours and mine have. You can get one from your dealer. I called Malibu and they told me it is a drop in replacement for 88/89 Malibu boats. The bad news is you have to replace the whole assembly (rudder, housing, tiller arm). The assembly is PN3411015.

If the assembly is too spendy I'd go the route suggested by Bozboat and just pick up a new rudder port and re-pack it and re-use your rudder and tiller arm.

If you want, PM me your email address and I'll send you a big Word doc with step by step disassembly and re-assembly instructions for the rudder. I documented the rebuild of the rudder on my 88' really well.

If it is cracked I would recommend thinking about replacing the entire housing with the greasable unit that comes on the new Malibu's. It will bolt up to your boat and would be way better than the old packing style fittings the older Bu's like yours and mine have. You can get one from your dealer. I called Malibu and they told me it is a drop in replacement for 88/89 Malibu boats. The bad news is you have to replace the whole assembly (rudder, housing, tiller arm). The assembly is PN3411015.

If the assembly is too spendy I'd go the route suggested by Bozboat and just pick up a new rudder port and re-pack it and re-use your rudder and tiller arm.

If you want, PM me your email address and I'll send you a big Word doc with step by step disassembly and re-assembly instructions for the rudder. I documented the rebuild of the rudder on my 88' really well.

Thank you for providing the assembly part number and your experience on the rudder rebuild. My email is [email protected]. I look forward to getting the repair done prior to next season.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, can you send me that doc too? I think you have my e-mail, if not let me know and I'll PM it to you.

PS is there anything you dont have? :cheers:

Email sent!

No how-to replace exhaust, but just give me until spring. LOL.gif

• 2 months later...

Hey MA, can you pm that doc to me?

I put the boat in the water this afternoon to do some trailer work and the rudder is leaking like crazy. I can't believe it is packing since you already did that. Do you think it could be some bolts loose? I'm sure they took that out when they tore the stringers apart.

www.marinehardware.com

www.skidim.com

I removed and repaired my rudder this year after someone left a giant rock in the middle of the river.

We had to float the boat back so that it sat 8 inches or so off the trailer in order to drop the rudder and clear the trailer prop cage.

I hate it when people do that :crazy: