Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many hours is too many

vhawk

I have been trying to buy a used boat. I would like an 08 if possible but the only ones I have seen have over 220 hours on them. That seems like a lot. Is there any big issue with that amount of hours? Is the an expensive servicing right around the corner? I have very interested in the 23 lev.

If you averaged 40 miles per hour in your car, that car would have less than 10,000 miles on it. Here is a good post re how many hours people put on their boats. My link. You can likely find more if you input "engine" and "hours" into search. BTW, my 2009 has 315 hours, and still seems like brand new. :)

People who buy really expensive skiboats tend to use them, especially in the first few years. 50 hrs/year is the norm up here, but many skiboats average around 100 hrs/yr.

And as with cars most of that "100 hour, 300 hour" service is usually just a really expensive oil change and a checklist.

-Chris

If you averaged 40 miles per hour in your car, that car would have less than 10,000 miles on it. Here is a good post re how many hours people put on their boats. My link. You can likely find more if you input "engine" and "hours" into search. BTW, my 2009 has 315 hours, and still seems like brand new. :)

wow...that thread got waaaay off topic. i am much calmer these days.

80 hours a year is not bad. that just means they used it every weekend. the bright side is that it never sat-up for too long. it is always good to keep a "motor" running. :biggrin:

My 2010 VLX has already 430 hours and its brand new. We use the boat every weekend an 2 times during the week.

Those engines will last at least 3000 hours if well serviced.

No problem w/ 22o Hour boat. For me that boat is new.

Luciano

As a rule of thumb add two zeros to convert inboard boat hours to "car" miles... 220 hours is 22 thousand miles in car miles. As with cars the way they are used and cared for makes more of a difference than mileage. It's pretty hard to hide it when a boat has been neglected.

I wouldn't think twice about 220 hours if the boat was well cared for. I have bought boats with twice that many hours that have lasted a long time.

Edited by DontPanic

I have been trying to buy a used boat. I would like an 08 if possible but the only ones I have seen have over 220 hours on them. That seems like a lot. Is there any big issue with that amount of hours? Is the an expensive servicing right around the corner? I have very interested in the 23 lev.

220 hours is nothing.

My 95 has 1000 hours. The engine purrs like a kitten and runs like a top. Doesn't burn a drop of oil.

I thnk someone would be hard pressed to tell it's performance level versus a low hour similiar engine.

It needed a steering cable a few summers ago, but now, still drives almost like new.

Go 'bu,

Steve B.

220 hrs over 3 seasons is less than 75 hrs/season. The OP doesn't say where this boat is located. Maybe 75 hrs/season is a lot if it's way up north where it's cold a lot. But in most anywhere in the US, it's not tough to find boat owners who rack up in excess of 100 hrs/year.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

My 2010 VLX has already 430 hours and its brand new. We use the boat every weekend an 2 times during the week.

Those engines will last at least 3000 hours if well serviced.

No problem w/ 22o Hour boat. For me that boat is new.

Luciano

Where do you use the boat in Argentina, my wife is from Rossario, we have been on a water ski show team since 1999 and have sponsored the team since 2004, both our sons ski professionally.

We have over 450 hours on our 07 with the 383 and it's runs like a top..... We've done every thing suggested by Indmar so far. We bought it used and over the past two years have put about 260 hours on it.........

08 november built vtx with the 320lcr have 520 hrs on it :)

1640hrs on my 2000slxi and clean as clean can be. Oil change and ck the tranny cooler every 50 hours. change Impellar once a year