Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake restrictions

obski

I got a response back from Bridge City, but they said they couldn't reveal what the design modifications are at this time. They will be revealing the new boat at the boat show which is in January, so I'll have to wait until then to check it out.

That is horrible - I guess to each their own, but I couldn't imagine paying money for that. Also seems like a short term loophole. Won't be long for lakes with length restrictions, to realize that people are missing the intent of the restrictions... and make it total weight or, wake size or something like that

SacRiverRat Posted Today, 10:56 AM

That is horrible - I guess to each their own, but I couldn't imagine paying money for that. Also seems like a short term loophole. Won't be long for lakes with length restrictions, to realize that people are missing the intent of the restrictions... and make it total weight or, wake size or something like that

Yep. I am familiar with Canyon Lake, home of that snub-nosed MB Sport, and the boat length restriction has always been in place but was rarely enforced before wakeboarding's popularity boom. They also tried to place limits on add-on "wake enhancement" devices (read fat sacs and such) but were thwarted by the advent of built-in ballast tanks.

Ultimately, the associations at these private lakes will have to directly confront the issues of shoreline erosion and damage to waterfront properties versus the rights of all other community homeowners. Unfortunately, the most enforceable solution may be to restrict watersports to a small area at the center of the lake. (This is how one lake in SoCal addressed complaints of noise pollution from PWCs many years ago.)

• 2 weeks later...

So... what's the fundamental problem here.

I think it's "The shoreline of many is being damaged by the huge wakes of a few." The new rules are just a round-about way of trying to stop that from happening. If reducing the the length of the boat or outlawing wake enhancers doesn't do the job... won't they just find other ways to stop the damage? Really hate to see the MB guy with the chainsaw have to cut a few more feet off.

Maybe they should just go back to skiing.... where the wake (look at the malibucrew slogun) is 4 inches, not 4 feet. Problem solved.

Now about all that noise........

Shocking.gif

Edited by doughickey
So... what's the fundamental problem here.

I think it's "The shoreline of many is being damaged by the huge wakes of a few." The new rules are just a round-about way of trying to stop that from happening. If reducing the the length of the boat or outlawing wake enhancers doesn't do the job... won't they just find other ways to stop the damage? Really hate to see the MB guy with the chainsaw have to cut a few more feet off.

Maybe they should just go back to skiing.... where the wake (look at the malibucrew slogun) is 4 inches, not 4 feet. Problem solved.

Now about all that noise........

Shocking.gif

if i'm not mistaken that guy with the chopped nose is the valdez family boat from canyon.

• 4 weeks later...

Well Bridge city had their "Lake Oswego Edition" Wakesetter at the show, so I asked them what was special about it. In order to meet the restrictions on Lake Oswego and not lose the basic functionality of the boat they made a few specific changes to the Wakesetter VLX. The two major changes are giving it a diamond hull instead of the wake hull and to place a lockout to the ballast pumps and to the power wedge. The ballast and the wedge are apparently not allowed on the lake, but the boat can include it as long as it can be disabled from use while on the lake. It is otherwise a normal WVLX.

Geez, no wonder slalom skiers have a bad rap. You guys want the lake only to yourselves or make everyone else ski your kind of skiing. Well, let the homeowners attack the boarders, because your next. Erosion happens with smaller wakes too, just not to the same degree & not as quickly. After the boarders weasel by the rules by cutting off the nose of their boat, or installing internal tanks, the homeowners will get smart & just stick a speed limit on the lake, like 5 or 10 mph. Then it'll suck for us all...... even the foil riders like me. Thanks.

Good to see the homeowners in OR came to a conclusion that allowed the VLX boat owners to be on the lake.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

well I wasn't too impressed I was hoping to see a 19' wakesetter or something really unusual.

It would be SOOOOOOO easy to get around that "electronic ballast lockout" what a gimick (sp?) but I guess you got to do what you got to do to ride...

well I wasn't too impressed I was hoping to see a 19' wakesetter or something really unusual.

It would be SOOOOOOO easy to get around that "electronic ballast lockout" what a gimick (sp?) but I guess you got to do what you got to do to ride...

So basically it is just new badging Biggrin.gif

Erosion happens with smaller wakes too, just not to the same degree & not as quickly.

So losing a foot of shoreline over 20 years is the same as losing it in a month? I live in a private lake community and shoreline erosion is just one problem presented by enhanced wakes. Our community was established back in the late 70's and being that it is a man-made lake with a spillway to control water level most of the lakefront houses have fixed position docks (vs. floating). With the dock ~ 6-8" above the water, and made out of 2X8's, that puts the deck of the dock approx 14" above water level. Enhanced wakes have been known to sweep over docks completely and wash anything on the dock into the lake. Shocking.gif That's not cool.

After the boarders weasel by the rules by cutting off the nose of their boat, or installing internal tanks, the homeowners will get smart & just stick a speed limit on the lake, like 5 or 10 mph.

The speed limit won't happen here but wake enhancing devices have been banned completely. Of course, I'm not sure security is smart enough to recognize a ballast system but... Dontknow.gif ...what are you gonna do? Anyone who doesn't like it...doesn't need to buy a house here. Lake rules are made clear in the CC&R's.

Edited by NorCaliBu

So losing a foot of shoreline over 20 years is the same as losing it in a month? I live in a private lake community and shoreline erosion is just one problem presented by enhanced wakes. Our community was established back in the late 70's and being that it is a man-made lake with a spillway to control water level most of the lakefront houses have fixed position docks (vs. floating). With the dock ~ 6-8" above the water, and made out of 2X8's, that puts the deck of the dock approx 14" above water level. Enhanced wakes have been known to sweep over docks completely and wash anything on the dock into the lake. Shocking.gif That's not cool.

Sorry about that. This is not the case in either Lake Oswego or Canyon Lake. Having a dock only 14" off the waters surface on either of those lakes, or my own, Liberty, would be a disaster waiting to happen. The HOA at Canyon is worried about erosion, but more important to them is the noise & the music. They have extensive rules regarding this, like having music at the public beach, riding Harley's in the neighborhood, etc.

My point is that the derogatory things that are being said in this forum about boarders, may also apply to other groups too. To group us all in there is another form or racism really. We all know boarders who are descent people. And to rationalize with them on a civil level might get your erosion point across a bit better. Or I could be wrong.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I used to own a 19' ski centurion tru trac and it could put out a plenty large wake plowing through at 10-15 mph. If they build a whole community around a lake that allows boats, they should expect and (is this a stretch) design for it?? If your shoreline is going to erode due to waves, nix boats altogether because no matter how slow the erosion is, someone will end up complaining about it.

I don't mind the music much if you have a chance to get away from it but if it's a small lake and my house were located on it, I'm sure the music would get to me eventually. There are lots of "kids" who don't have much respect for other people. I say "kids" because I've had loud car stereos since I was in high school and I'm now 31 but I've always been careful not to play it in neighborhoods or other quiet areas and especially not late at night in those areas. I really only cranked mine on cruise nights at the strip and on busy city streets. Usually, I even turn mine down at stoplights so the people next to me won't have to listen to me thump for the duration of the light (unless someone is smoking with their window down, I turn it up then).

At my lake, tower speakers wouldn't be a nuisance for anyone on the shore because they couldn't hear it. The idiot at the camp next to you with the 2WD chevy stepside blasting certain types of non-English speaking AM radio stations through a ratted out pair of 6x9s would drown out any boat. To this day I don't understand how they can stomach 8-10 hours straight of distorted music. I guess a case of Bud Light makes you sorta numb...

I used to own a 19' ski centurion tru trac and it could put out a plenty large wake plowing through at 10-15 mph. If they build a whole community around a lake that allows boats, they should expect and (is this a stretch) design for it?? If your shoreline is going to erode due to waves, nix boats altogether because no matter how slow the erosion is, someone will end up complaining about it.

I don't mind the music much if you have a chance to get away from it but if it's a small lake and my house were located on it, I'm sure the music would get to me eventually. There are lots of "kids" who don't have much respect for other people. I say "kids" because I've had loud car stereos since I was in high school and I'm now 31 but I've always been careful not to play it in neighborhoods or other quiet areas and especially not late at night in those areas. I really only cranked mine on cruise nights at the strip and on busy city streets. Usually, I even turn mine down at stoplights so the people next to me won't have to listen to me thump for the duration of the light (unless someone is smoking with their window down, I turn it up then).

At my lake, tower speakers wouldn't be a nuisance for anyone on the shore because they couldn't hear it. The idiot at the camp next to you with the 2WD chevy stepside blasting certain types of non-English speaking AM radio stations through a ratted out pair of 6x9s would drown out any boat. To this day I don't understand how they can stomach 8-10 hours straight of distorted music. I guess a case of Bud Light makes you sorta numb...

well put