Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordering a New 247/What is the Right Power option

Derbyba

Just sold my 2009 23 LSV and am considering ordering a new 247. My 23 had the 8.1L. What is the right motor for this boat considering we wakeboard/surf 60 percent of the time, and cruise the remainder. I have no interest in purchasing a boat that may be under powered?

Also if you were buying and resale was your main concern what options would you include or not include?

How is the used market for used 247? I had no trouble finding prospects for my 23LSV.

Then finally I see mentions of several end of the year programs. what are these programs so that I can make sure I am maximizing them all while purchasing my boat.

Thanks .

Andy

Thanks in advance for the help trying to make sure I do my due diligence on all items before pulling the trigger.

Lots of divergent opinions on the powerplant yet very few have actually driven them yet. The 2 choices for 2011 are the base L96 410 hp 6.0L and the LSA 6.2L 555 hp 6.2L. The upgraded engine has a list price of around $12-13K so it ain't cheap.

I won't debate the merits here as there is a recent thread with more info and views but I will tell you I just ordered a 247 with the LSA. Everyone I've asked who has driven both at a factory demo has lit up when talking about their experience driving the LSA. There must be something to it.

The factory promotions for the holidays are also laid out in another thread but it's basically a free power wedge plus potential discounts on some other accessories.

I have never heard of some one saying "my boat is just over powered". Just sayin....

Check the 2011 555 hp thread. Seem to be at least a few who think the LSA is a bad idea (not me). Hell, i even generally go with the biggest possible motor when it comes to garden tools....

How much weight do you surf and wakeboard with? More than stock? How many people in the boat?

How fast do you expect to 'cruise' which is what you will be doing 40% of the time, as you said above.

All of these factors make a big difference.

I love the power that the 8.1 gives me in my boat, but it comes with a price tag at the pump. Is that important to you? (IMO, it shouldn't be, but that is another topic...drives me nuts to see people buy an 80K boat and then complain about gas consumption).

To WakeBoard we use factory ballast and full down wedge. We rarely WakeBoard anymore so someone else may have more knowledge about that.

Surfing We run approximately 3500 LBs of weight. That is factory ballast plus some custom ballast bags. Plus Peeps.

The HammerHead 383 400 HP did the job fine in the 07 and 08 Model.

However, The 2010 has the Corvette LS3 motor and claims to make 450HP. I do notice a big difference in the smoothness and RPM. We are turning 3400-3500 RPM's while surfing and if you push the throttle all the way down the boat has plenty of power left to get up to 15-20 MPH. That the HammerHead 383 400HP engine did NOT do.

Having gone through this experience if I had to make the choice between the lower HP motor and the higher HP motor again I would spend the extra dough and go with the Big Boy. I also notice the LS3 drinks less gas than the 383. We can surf for 6-8 Hours for two days on one tank and often do.

To WakeBoard we use factory ballast and full down wedge. We rarely WakeBoard anymore so someone else may have more knowledge about that.

Surfing We run approximately 3500 LBs of weight. That is factory ballast plus some custom ballast bags. Plus Peeps.

The HammerHead 383 400 HP did the job fine in the 07 and 08 Model.

However, The 2010 has the Corvette LS3 motor and claims to make 450HP. I do notice a big difference in the smoothness and RPM. We are turning 3400-3500 RPM's while surfing and if you push the throttle all the way down the boat has plenty of power left to get up to 15-20 MPH. That the HammerHead 383 400HP engine did NOT do.

Having gone through this experience if I had to make the choice between the lower HP motor and the higher HP motor again I would spend the extra dough and go with the Big Boy. I also notice the LS3 drinks less gas than the 383. We can surf for 6-8 Hours for two days on one tank and often do.

:lol: