Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Board Size

burider

I was a new wakeboarder when I bought my boat and all my gear a couple of seasons ago. I found out this summer my board is way undersized, I guess the salesman wasn't as informed as I thought. He sold me a 137 Tribute and I ride at 220lbs. Any ideas on board size I should look for? My wife may get me a new one for christmas.

I was a new wakeboarder when I bought my boat and all my gear a couple of seasons ago. I found out this summer my board is way undersized, I guess the salesman wasn't as informed as I thought. He sold me a 137 Tribute and I ride at 220lbs. Any ideas on board size I should look for? My wife may get me a new one for christmas.

At 220 you should be riding a 142+.

The sizing charts are more of a guidline if anything. I know lot's of guys, and pros that will ride a smaller or larger size depending on what they are looking to get out of the board. I have buddies close to that wieght range that ride 138's, smaller guys will sometimes prefer the 141's or 2's. Somewhat depends on the width of the chosen board also. Your only talkin 3-4cm here. Not huge in the whole grand sceme.

I weigh 185 and have always ridden in the 136-139 range, but last summer I wanted to try something a little bigger so I bought a 142ish and it made a world of difference. The wider girth for me provides a better pop and it just seems to land with more consistency. I would definitely try something over 140. It might feel a little slower than the shorter, narrower board at first but once you start popping and landing more consistenly you prob won't go back.

137 is definitely too small for your size. Especially if you're just starting out. The smaller board will ride lower in the water and your chance of catching an edge will increase. I'm 180lbs and ride a 142. You should be at a 142, 43 or 44.

Thanks guys. I'm considering the Byerly monarch 56. Anyone ride one?

I have a Conspiracy 56 and it is my favorite board of all time. I don't know what the subtle differences between them are, but you should get along with that length/width a lot better. I wanted a Monarch initially, but caught a good deal on the Conspiracy first. I had an Assault before this one and it was Ok, but nothing compared to the Conspiracy .

I am 220 +or- (depending on what I had for breakfast), and for the last several years I have been riding a 142 board. This past summer I went back to an old 138 just to see and it was still very rideable for me but I noticed I got tired faster. I figure it was due to the increased drag. The board did feel very lively compared to the 142 though even though you wouldn't think 4cm would make a difference. I also learned, for me at least, the bigger the board I ride the bigger my wake needs to be. At the end of the 2010 season I upgraded to a 144 board and wasn't happy on the smallish Moomba wake that I rode behind most of the summer with the 138 & 142, the best being the 138. It is awesome on a big Bu wake though :innocent: I am sure someone on here knows the science to all that but it's not me.

I am 220 +or- (depending on what I had for breakfast), and for the last several years I have been riding a 142 board. This past summer I went back to an old 138 just to see and it was still very rideable for me but I noticed I got tired faster. I figure it was due to the increased drag. The board did feel very lively compared to the 142 though even though you wouldn't think 4cm would make a difference. I also learned, for me at least, the bigger the board I ride the bigger my wake needs to be. At the end of the 2010 season I upgraded to a 144 board and wasn't happy on the smallish Moomba wake that I rode behind most of the summer with the 138 & 142, the best being the 138. It is awesome on a big Bu wake though :innocent: I am sure someone on here knows the science to all that but it's not me.

There is some science too it, but it just further goes to show you what I was saying about how the sizes are a general guidline and not a rule. You really just need to try differnt boards untill to find what YOU like.