Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Kids on the way so I'm selling my boat!

ColinP

Every so often I see people selling their boat because they're having kids. I've always wondered, what is a persons reasoning behind this? I guess I came from the other side because I really bought my boat because I had a baby boy on the way and I needed a hobby that was inclusive for everyone and baby friendly and party friendly all at the same time.

Before I had a boat, I was very much into motorcycle road racing but I realized it was not an ideal hobby if you have babies because racing motorcycles basically means inviting your friends and family to come out to the track and watch you have fun and thats where the participation ends. BTW I didn't give up motorcycles completely, I just sold my race bikes.

Now that my boy is almost 2, I am so glad that my family has a boat. Last summer was a blast and we will never forget it. One of my boy's first words was 'boat' and he is excited to get inside it even when it's just parked on the trailer at the house. We have made some of the coolest of friends at our local lakes and we just love the lifestyle surrounding it all.

Has anybody felt pressure to give up a hobby they love because of certain circumstances, like a baby on the way? It makes me wonder...

I think it often has to do with cash flow. Maximum amounts of minimum payments is how some live and a baby makes something have to change. The boat may be the easiest payment to drop.

I used to love flyfishing before I got a boat. Just like you, I found the family just wasn't into it and we could be together, but it just wasn't 'together' time when we went fishing. With the boat, we truly have quality family time. I think that unless you have to for financial purposes, or the ONLY thing you use the boat for is a big time party instrument, selling the boat because of a young family is just plain dumb.

Every so often I see people selling their boat because they're having kids. I've always wondered, what is a persons reasoning behind this? I guess I came from the other side because I really bought my boat because I had a baby boy on the way and I needed a hobby that was inclusive for everyone and baby friendly and party friendly all at the same time.

Before I had a boat, I was very much into motorcycle road racing but I realized it was not an ideal hobby if you have babies because racing motorcycles basically means inviting your friends and family to come out to the track and watch you have fun and thats where the participation ends. BTW I didn't give up motorcycles completely, I just sold my race bikes.

Now that my boy is almost 2, I am so glad that my family has a boat. Last summer was a blast and we will never forget it. One of my boy's first words was 'boat' and he is excited to get inside it even when it's just parked on the trailer at the house. We have made some of the coolest of friends at our local lakes and we just love the lifestyle surrounding it all.

Has anybody felt pressure to give up a hobby they love because of certain circumstances, like a baby on the way? It makes me wonder...

I have had a boat (18ft SeaDoo) for 5 years starting with no kids. Used the boat all the time (like 20 days a year, 1.5 hour drive to lake). For our first daughter we carried her in carseat onto boat. She just slept most of the time up until 6 months old. After that took naps for several hours in car seat on boat. Then no car seat. And now and she is almost 5 now and loves tubing.

3 years ago we had second daughter and she has been tough on boat and we only went out maybe 7 times a year with both kids. BUT I am sure the second daughter just needs to get thru terrible twos and she willl be fine. Anyways, I take many vacation days off during the week while kids are in day care and have a great time and is a great stress reduction. A few times I go with just older daughter.

I love boating and think if you get creative you can end up using it. I cannot wait to teach the girls how to wakeboard. I am sure everyones situation is different but for me I am just hoping my kids will be as addicted to boats as me!!!

Oh, and I just upgraded to the 2007 Malibu 23 ft LSV to get more room, get a real wake, and hit weedy places like California delta. Gotta sell my other boat now....no more 60 mph 360s :(

Edited by JoeMama

I have been into fast cars for most of my life. It is not a hobby you can share with your family in most cases. I bought a boat and a lake house in preparation for having a child (boy is on the way in april). Now, we are shopping for a bigger boat in anticipation for my first son, cuz the Response is a little racey for a small child. So ya, must sell due to baby on the way...so I can buy a bigger boat! :thumbup:

I think a lot of us have expensive hobbies. I like boats, cars and home theater. Heaven help me. :-)

As for selling due to kids, I sold our first boat because of baby #3 on the way. However, I mainly did it because it was about time to upgrade, and I figured I would take a year off to let #3 get to an age where she could move under her own power and enjoy the experience. Worked out well. Now the little maniacs won't stay off the water:

18675_1350400197234_1148239844_1060250_7915151_n.jpg

Boating works great for us - perfect family fun. Plus now that I have teenagers, they all want to come out and hang on the boat - it's a perfect way for me to keep an eye on them! :-)

-- Mike

No better way to spend time with kids than on the water.

DSC_2392.jpg

We have always had a boat since college, just had a smaller budget when we were younger but had just as much fun. The kids have always enjoyed going out on the water but more so after about 4 years old.

The kids now bring friends out every time we go out. The 21' Centurion is now too small and we are signing papers on a new Wakesetter 23 LSV on Saturday. We will miss the Centurion but really excited for the Malibu.

Now the kids are junior high and their sports is the biggest challenge to getting out on the water. We have a no summer sports rule and spend every weekend and vacations on the water. The kids love it! They now love wake boarding, slalom skiing, knee boarding, surfing and TUBING! I could do with out the tubing but they love it. The Delta has become our home away from home in the summer.

DSC_2788.jpg

Can't wait for spring to get the new Malibu out on the water.

Agreed,

I have literally been on the lake since my mom had her 6 week checkup after I was born, she couldn't wait any longer to ski. I can't imagine my childhood without our family outings and vacations on the boat. Something I truly cherish. For these same reasons my wife and I purchased our first boat a month after our first child was born and can't wait to see him grow up on the water like we both did. I have often wondered if people are afraid to take infants on the lake or if it was a $$ issue?

borderboarder- my wife wasn't raised on the water and after our second son was born we bought a cheap boat just to see if it was something we would like - the wife needed to be assured that we wouldn't sink or the kids drown before allowing the boating addiction to fully set in. I think it was more of an educational thing for her and after she got comfortable we bought something bigger and nicer. I'm certain that there are those that do have the $$ issue but I think it's more of setting priorities. like the others we chose boating, something the entire family can and does enjoy.

Since my kids were 2 and 4 we've been on the water as much as possible - some great memories pics and experiences - wouldn't trade this for anything and it's still going strong. kids are 10 and 12 now and we're on boat number 5 -our first malibu.

the downside - the gear has been replaced a number of times as the kids (and adults) have grown - we spend a ton of money on our fun...

I have three wonderful children TWIN three year olds and a one year old. They have always been on the water and all love it. I would not have it any other way we have created so many great memories that the kids, my wife, and I will not forget. A FAMILY THAT BOATS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER!

I've heard that too, I think it boils down to finance. Then again, some people I know went ultra-conservative when they had kids. Bought minivans, go to be at 10pm, completely lost their spontaneity. Really weird.

I have 3 young girls 5,3, & 1.5. They absolutely love boating! I think a big misconception people have about boating with kids is, If they aren't using their boat for skiing or boarding it's not worth it. Which couldn't be farther from the truth. If your kids are like mine you'll be surprised at which age they are willing to stand on a surf board with dad! I almost feel bad going by myself now.

I've always loved the water.... growing up we'd spend all summer at the lake camping... didn't have a boat though until i graduated high school. The first summer we had the boat we put over 200 hours on it... every weekend it was out all weekend and during the week we'd take off right after supper if it was calm and head out to the lake (15 min. drive) I got married in 2003 the wife has never been a water person and my step son loved the pool but not boating. We now have a daughter that is 6 years old and absolutely loves the water. We have a 05 Mobius LSV that we just got and i can't wait to teach Karlee how to surf and wakeboard.... Mom doesn't get in the water but likes watching and riding... so it's perfect. Now if i could just get her to drive!!!

Geoff

:plus1:

I have 3 young girls 5,3, & 1.5. They absolutely love boating! I think a big misconception people have about boating with kids is, If they aren't using their boat for skiing or boarding it's not worth it. Which couldn't be farther from the truth. If your kids are like mine you'll be surprised at which age they are willing to stand on a surf board with dad! I almost feel bad going by myself now.

:plus1:

Here's an added benefit, getting used to lake water. When I met my wife she was a pool person. Hated lakes, can't see the bottom, the weeds, etc. Then we got married and bought a lake house. It took her a few years, but she got over the "water" issue. Now we have kids, and they all swim like fish, play in the weeds, dig in the sand, snorkel in the shallow beach, catch blue-gill with a net (you gotta stand still for a LONG time), on and on and on. I can't imagine them growing up without all of that.

One of my best nights was a few years ago, the boys were like 7 and 8. Big meteor shower. I woke them up and 3am and we went out on the boat in the middle of the lake all bundled up and watched the sky, it was spectacular. Sure we could have done that in a field, but it's more fun in a boat.

When my first child was on the way, I had to give up my main hobby...flying. There were several reasons for this... the risks associated with being a private pilot renting airplanes and the cost were the main ones (you guys that think anything with "Marine Grade" written on it cost more than it should would be shocked at what "FAA Certified" will do to the cost of a bolt or an electrical connector). Also, life insurance underwriters think that having a Pilots license means you will die shortly, based on the premiums I was quoted when looking for additional insurance becuase the kids were on the way.

So I can certainly understand that people, when starting to have kids, need to cut back on some of the things they do. Kids cost money...lots of it.

But 'stepping down' into boating was one of the best things I ever did. I can share this hobby with family and friends. I don't have to boat every couple weeks minimum to keep up the needed proficiency to safely operate a boat and it cost a fraction of what flying for fun costs.

I can see how things change. For us, my daughter started playing travel soccer which is year round and expensive. We still have the boat and the best time all summer was a camping trip in between soccer tournaments with my wife's cousins. Skiing,tubing and just hanging out all weekend was a blast. I will never give it up,just have to make sure we squeeze in the days especially since our girl is a teenager and its the only time she likes to be around us!

I grew up boating on the Mississippi, a far cry from many of the lakes people are lucky enough to spend time on. Was fortunate enough to have access to my parents boat while in collage to use with friends and my parents. My friends got to be friends with my parents because of boating and still are to day some 25 + years later. Have only been with out a boat for a couple of years after we were first married. When kids were on the way boating with them was always in the plans. Even for my wife who did not join us till she was 20 yrs old and not a swimmer or boater. My son was on the boat by the time he was 12 weeks old and my daughter went for her first boat ride in the car seat when she was 3 weeks old. We have never looked back. We have had several boats over the years and changed types from run-about to ski boats as interests have grown and changed. My kids grown up around boats and water skiing it has been the most fun 20 years and they still want to hang out with us. Over the years we have had a couple of years with less hours than others do to their sports and other hobbies but always have found time for boating.

I understand the financial aspect, for a time we downsized to a less expensive older boat to get ride of a payment. Sold one boat and used the residual from the sale to cash purchase an older boat. It served our needs without breaking the bank. We were then able to upgrade in the future.

Boating has been the best way to spend time as a family even through the teen years! Our kids are our friends as are many of their friends and now cannot imagine life without boating.

First started boating when I was 12. We progressed through tubes (when it was a tractor inner-tube with a big leather strap around it!), skis, trick-skis, zip-sleds, kneeboards, etc.... When my wife and I first started dating, she became hooked.

Bought our first boat later on, and the kids basically grew up in the boat. I know the first one was under 1 year old his first time out.

After we sold that boat, we went about 3 years "boatless", but continued to rent when we could get to the lake (renting a ski boat makes payments seem cheap!), and then the kids (who were 17 - 24 at the time), pushed more than I did to get a new boat.

We have taught many, many kids to ski or just be comfortable behind a boat. Great family memories.

I know people often have to choose, babies ain't cheap, but we gave up other things instead to keep that first boat and get to the water as much as we could.

my ski partner has 2 young boys under 3. each have grown up observing and riding in the boat while we ski. they started off on a small bed between the drivers feet, complete with toys hanging from the steering cable under the dash, to their own car seats on the observers seat and now sitting up like big boys. from about the age of 2 they had learnt all the hand signals and we keep them entertained between passes. they both ski, the oldest is now behind the boat and loving it. they are both fearless and dont consider skiing anything too scary as they have grown up with it. its great!

cash flow would be the only logical reason behind it. skiing is far more important to me than kids and skiing will not be stopped because of them!

" skiing is far more important to me than kids" Thats a problem for your kids, maybe you don't have any.

Too right i dont have any. I mean that in the present. i dont see how kids can be a hinderence to our watersports, just the opposite.

Back when I was young and poor but still needed the lake fix I spent every weekend on my used Prindle 16 catamaran. Total investment of under $1,500 for a mint one. The boat is under 400 pounds so I could pull it with a 4 cyl.

No it's not a Bu but my kids still enjoy flying hull on a nice 10-20 day at the lake. For another $800-$1,000 you can stack a sunfish on just for them.

We now spend many more days on the Bu than the cat but I still have her and love sailing a few times a year.

For me having a nice ski boat is a huge luxury. Having no boat at all is not an option.