Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX vs. LSV

keegan

i currently have a 2002 23 lsv. i am looking for more wake this year.

i am looking at the 2006 VLX and the lsv but i am having a hard time figuring out what the differences are.

all i can see is the LSV is longer and a little wider than the VLX. what are the other differences?

thanks.

i am looking at the 2006 VLX and the lsv but i am having a hard time figuring out what the differences are.

all i can see is the LSV is longer and a little wider than the VLX. what are the other differences?

thanks.

Yep, longer and wider, you got it.

thanks.

Yep, the LSV is a bit longer, with a greater beam, providing a roomier seating area and a larger seating capacity,

which may be better-suited for you if you routinely have a large crew on board. Since you're coming from an LSV,

you might find the seating of the VLX a little more cramped than you are used to.

I'm pretty sure that the options on either boat were almost identical, save for the choice of engines (VLX base

is 320 LCR vs. LSV base of 340 Monsoon). Power wedge was available on both that year. Towers were

predominantly the Illusion X for either boat.

You'll be able to get "more wake" from either boat, be it for wakeboarding or surfing. Neither will ski as well

as your current boat, but it sounds as if that is not an issue for you.

Crew size may be the most important determining factor. If you regularly have a lot of people going out with

you, the LSV will probably work the best. For a smaller crew, though, there is nothing the LSV can do,

wake-wise, that the VLX can't do just as well, assuming optimal ballast distribution in each.

I have skied, boarded and surfed behind both and will say that you can easily get more wake out of the LSV than the VLX. That being said I have the VLX Diamond hull (helps for lifiting the boat for skiing speeds) and love it. However if I didn't ski and had the room for a 23, I would go LSV all the way. The surf wake on that boat is noticablly better. Having the smaller boat I just have to be willing to load it up with more ballast which isn't a problem for me. I regularaly fit a crew of 6 or 7 comfortably.

I rode an 05' VLX and a 07' LSV all summer, both are the same hulls as the 06's you're looking at. With factory ballast full and wedge settings the same, I feel the VLX has a bigger, meatier wake. The LSV belly and rears need an additional 4-500 in total or some VAB, JMO.

Had both. VLX is much better for wakeboarding. The LSV takes a lot of weight and the wakes are wider. If you aren't comfortable riding faster than I would stick to the VLX. The '06 has about the same interior space as your current LSV.

Had both. VLX is much better for wakeboarding. The LSV takes a lot of weight and the wakes are wider. If you aren't comfortable riding faster than I would stick to the VLX. The '06 has about the same interior space as your current LSV.

:plus1:

I spent a lot of time in both of those boats and agree with J-RO. The 23 is awesome but it needs more weight to sac it out and get the wake out of it, BUT the wake is bigger than a VLX when you get to that point since you have more displacement.

Wish you luck finding a new boat!

-Paul

:plus1: Besides, I never found the extra side seating to be very comfortable especially in choppy water.

Edited by LS-One

you guys are awsome, that is just the info that i was looking for.

how is the interior the same on my current 02 23lsv and the 2006 VLX? what is the seating capacity on the VLX?

you guys are awsome, that is just the info that i was looking for.

how is the interior the same on my current 02 23lsv and the 2006 VLX? what is the seating capacity on the VLX?

The poster said "about the same". The older LSV's were actually 22'6" and the 2005 and newer VLX's are 21'6" IIRC.

Edited by LS-One