Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Supra?

stroker-ace

anyone have experience with 'em? what don't you like about 'em? how's the wake? anything particular you like about 'em?

just asking because they are on my short list of boats i would be caught dead in.

I like the 21v more than the 22v. In my experience the 22v didn't handle very well loaded down. 21v handles better. Wakes are good, steep and boosty, but touchy with side to side weight. Surf wakes are great. I like Supra's integrated GPS, navigation, depth screen. It is slick. I spoke with a Medallion rep. he said you don't want to order that option with BU b/c you have to have Zero Off and you lose some function.....?

Edited by skurfer

I like the 21v more than the 22v. In my experience the 22v didn't handle very well loaded down. 21v handles better. Wakes are good, steep and boosty, but touchy with side to side weight. Surf wakes are great. I like Supra's integrated GPS, navigation, depth screen. It is slick. I spoke with a Medallion rep. he said you don't want to order that option with BU b/c you have to have Zero Off and you lose some function.....?

thanks, that is some of the kind of info i am looking for. i have been shopping the 21v. i am looking at 2005-ish models, so i dont know if the new features will apply. frankly, the new "advancended" features are what i am trying to stay away from. just like in the car biz, the more options, the more sh1t to fail. i am pretty sure i would never get into all the crap malibu has going on these days. too many automotive-esque electonics for something that floats.

I think they are sort of a fancy Moomba, similar hull design, same factory, etc.. I had some experience in a Moomba:

A bit much on the engine noise. Much louder than my Malibu.

Very steep sharp wake, large but abrupt, wakeboarding and maybe surfing, nothing that I could see would make it skiable.

The one year old one I was on had a number of the gauges failing and some had moisture inside of them.

The seat cusions were very thin (might be thicker on the Supra but I am not sure).

The drivetrain is Indmar, just like Malibu.

All in all I would strongly suggest looking at a Malibu Ride series boat before a Supra or Moomba.

Before getting our iRide this summer we had and still have a '91 Supra Comp. It has 1250 hours and still turns over every time. Parts of the floor are getting soft spots, but it's nearly 20 years old. The ski wake is the reason why we kept it, it's sweet. Our MPH gauges are not calibrated so the speed is a bit whack. Not a big deal for us because we go off RPM anyway.

Of course this isn't 2005 or older. We did spend an afternoon in a 24v a couple seasons ago and it rocked.

The sales guy for our local bu dealer still owns a 21V from when he worked at another dealer. It's pretty nice, great for his family & the payment is right. Lots of ballast, a descent tower, bimini, good power, plenty of bling for him, etc.

And a guy who is a sponsored boarder here in town has a new Supra every year. Usually has a pimped out stereo, like 4k or 5k in ballast, tons of seating, bling, etc. He has owned both Supra & Malibu & loves them both for various reasons.

I think they are sort of a fancy Moomba, similar hull design, same factory, etc.. I had some experience in a Moomba:

A bit much on the engine noise. Much louder than my Malibu.

Very steep sharp wake, large but abrupt, wakeboarding and maybe surfing, nothing that I could see would make it skiable.

The one year old one I was on had a number of the gauges failing and some had moisture inside of them.

The seat cusions were very thin (might be thicker on the Supra but I am not sure).

The drivetrain is Indmar, just like Malibu.

All in all I would strongly suggest looking at a Malibu Ride series boat before a Supra or Moomba.

Moomba and Supra = not the same boat. These two cannot be compared to each other. Supras are a very good boats. I have spent many summers on one with no issues, awsome surf wake and steep wakeboard wake (if thats what you like). They quality on supra boats far surpass that of Moomba. Also they do not have the same hulls. I would buy a supra any day over a mastercraft. However, malibu is still at the top of the short list :)

They were on our list when we were looking and we now regularly ride on a Moomba, however we now own a 2006 VLX.

My humble opinoin on Moomb/Supra:

The Good:

-Good ski wake for the average skiier. I'm not a course skiier, but like the pull this boat offers.

-I'm a below average boarder, but liked the wake.

-Exact same surf wake as my VLX (very good).

-Fit and finish look good. The newer one especially are lookers

-Powertrain is good, same as malibu

-Price is great

-Ballast is bags and not hard tanks which allows for easy replacement/modification

-Tower seems solid

The Bad:

-First and formost their seats are very uncomfortable. The side seats especially don't give me any back support. This was a dealbreaker at the time when we were looking.

-The Moomba we ride was new for 08 and had rust dripping down from the rub rail. They didn't use stainless screws and it had to go in for warranty work.

-All ballast (except center) is above floor and takes up storage space. That also makes it harder to put extra ballast in because you don't have enough room.

-Seat skins are not as thick of vinyl as the upper end boats

-Wedge is not available and their plate only somewhat works.

you live on a lake so it does't matter, but that integrated bimini/rack thing they have looks pretty sweet.

i have seen it mentioned, but havent taken a close enough look at it to even know what it is all about. FWIW, i still have to garage my boat and drop tower/bimini every time i go out. no marina/boat house for me...i hate spiders. :crazy:

My friend has a '05 Sunsport 24V I think it is a very nice boat. It is much quieter than my 03 23 XTI, but I think that has to with his being a V-drive and the seating is different. The wake on his boat has more pop. Handling is similar. All in all, I would definitely consider a Supra

My list of boats I would be caught dead in are...

Malibu

Mastercraft

Nautique

Supra

...and not necessarily in that order.

I found this Nautique that looks nice and not badly priced but, good god, the ORANGE! make it stop!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/2078058565.html

Hook'em Horns. That boat would fill the bill.

I spent a week riding behind a similar boat 2 summers ago on Berryessa. Nice boat, lots of room, great wake, no doubt.

Interesting that you'd chose MC though. Rickety tower, funky dash (gauges), etc. For some reason I run into more posers on MCs than any other make of boat.

I owned one myself, but it was before they changed up the style of their boats.

no marina/boat house for me...i hate spiders. :crazy:

Just smack'em with your purse! :crazy:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

My list of boats I would be caught dead in are...

Malibu

Mastercraft

Nautique

Supra

...and not necessarily in that order.

I found this Nautique that looks nice and not badly priced but, good god, the ORANGE! make it stop!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/2078058565.html

If you can get past the orange, that looks like a very nice boat. I here that boat has a very good ski wake. Don't know about the wakeboard wake on it.

anyone have experience with 'em? what don't you like about 'em? how's the wake? anything particular you like about 'em?

just asking because they are on my short list of boats i would be caught dead in.

I don't think their water ski boats are anything to talk about since your coming from a Response LXI, a Nautique or a Mastercraft Prostar would be the only comparable in my opinion.

Supra Wakeboard boats I have a difference opinion about, since we service all ski/wake/surf boats at Bake's we get to see and work on them all and in my opinion the new Supra's are going to become a big contender. They are using great components, good materials, same engine and gauge system as Malibu/Mastercraft, sitting in them is comfortable but i haven't had a new one on the water to speak of its performance. I took a 2007 Supra Launch on vacation with me 2 years ago and that boat performed awesome, but didn't compare to the Malibu. Now that they've changed the newer boats I would be intrigue to give them a chance.

To sum it up, a older Supra i would never consider, a newer Supra I would.

This is the first boat show i'm going to go to (not working and not selling boats anymore) so it will be fun to shop boats as a "customer" this year.

-Paul

Thanks for the opinions, keep em coming. The Supra is sounding like I expected it to.

Just for the record, I dont ski and plan on doing so. I am looking for a wake boat with v-drive for a few reasons...better seating, deeper hull, more verastility. I mainly wakeskate, surf and occasionally wakeboard, but I dont surf behind the Response for obvious reasons.

The reason I bought the Response is b/c it was my first boat, it was priced right and it handles like a track car on R compound tires. It was the nicest boat I could find for the money and I had spent the two previous summers on Malibus and was spoiled on them.

I have loved the Response and still do. Every time I take it out I say "I can't believe I would consider getting rid of this boat". However, my wife wants a wake boat and I wont lie, I would like to be able to surf behind my own rig and not have to dodge every wake that comes my way for fear of taking serious water over the bow. Plus, we are expecting our first child and my old lady is not comfortable with the way the Response rides and takes on water in rough waters. Since we are planning on raising our boy on the water, I can see her point.

Edited by stroker-ace

I don't think their water ski boats are anything to talk about since your coming from a Response LXI, a Nautique or a Mastercraft Prostar would be the only comparable in my opinion.

Supra Wakeboard boats I have a difference opinion about, since we service all ski/wake/surf boats at Bake's we get to see and work on them all and in my opinion the new Supra's are going to become a big contender. They are using great components, good materials, same engine and gauge system as Malibu/Mastercraft, sitting in them is comfortable but i haven't had a new one on the water to speak of its performance. I took a 2007 Supra Launch on vacation with me 2 years ago and that boat performed awesome, but didn't compare to the Malibu. Now that they've changed the newer boats I would be intrigue to give them a chance.

To sum it up, a older Supra i would never consider, a newer Supra I would.

This is the first boat show i'm going to go to (not working and not selling boats anymore) so it will be fun to shop boats as a "customer" this year.

-Paul

Is anyone else thinking what I'm thinking? :biggrin:

Well I am a former Supra 22 SSV owner 2004 vintage. The only reason I sold the boat is to get a bigger one I now have a 23 LSV because I did not like the seating arrangement in the larger Supras.

What I liked with our Supra

Playpen bow - The kids miss it

The extra seat next to the driver is so nice during the winter to stay out of the wind and stay warm

The ease of upgrading the ballast

Nice storage

Looks - very sleek for a V drive

Well built

Very ski-able with the trim tab

Very nice rampy wake board wake with the proper weight

We had over 500 hrs with no issues once it was properly propped for all of the weight.

The Malibu 23 LSV

Rides 100 x better

More free board

More room under the bimni

wider beam = more room

- takes more weight to get the same wake

I don't know much about the newer supra's since they were bought out or under in 94 I believe. But i had a 89 ts6m comp II it was a great boat for me! used the sh*t out of it for 5 years, great slalom, and barefoot boat! pulled up 12 adults and only tried 3 adults deep water bfing. Very light weight boat, that had some up and go. Had to let it go last year, bc of a growing family. still talk to the guy i sold it to and no problems. love our newer lxi

I have several buddies that have had multiple different Supra's. I have been in and behind, as well as driven quite a few. Overall very nice boats. Not up to par with the Malibu's of the world, but still nice boats. One thing I will say and agree upon is the the wake is definetly steep! Especially is you are used to the nice ramp the Bu's provide. Shocks ya the first time you hit it. I agree that the vinyl used is just not as supple as what Malibu uses. Fit and Finish is fair . My biggest complaint with all the ones i have had seat time behind is with the overall handling. The controls just arn't as butter smooth a the Bu's. Steering seems stiffer and throttle placement and contol is slightly odd in comparison. When these boats were at a considerable savings over the major three they were a great option, but as of recently my price checks have them creeping ever so closer to the 3 big players. Nice boats, just....not... quite... there.