Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake Jak Camera Mount

Malibuswany

my bet is the gopro video will look like poo. Its focal range is really short. If something is more than about 15' away it's super small.

Here's an idea of what it would look like (though obviously not blocked by the bimini):

That was shot with the gopro mounted with the suction cup motorsports mount to the bottom of the illusion x tower.

Saw this today think I will add it to my Wake Jac. I wonder how the Go Pro video would look form Here.

http://www.wakejak.com/camera_mount.html

Are you satisfied with the wake jak? It is appealing to me in that when my fiance drives the boat, she is constantly getting the rope

caught in the board racks. I know, I know, teach her not to turn so sharp etc. etc. Well we all know how that usually goes!

If it is something that works well and is not too much of a hindrance to moving around the boat and constantly smacking yourself in the

head, then it might be for me. The ability to add the camera mount is pretty cool also.

Thanks

Tim

Are you satisfied with the wake jak? It is appealing to me in that when my fiance drives the boat, she is constantly getting the rope

caught in the board racks. I know, I know, teach her not to turn so sharp etc. etc. Well we all know how that usually goes!

If it is something that works well and is not too much of a hindrance to moving around the boat and constantly smacking yourself in the

head, then it might be for me. The ability to add the camera mount is pretty cool also.

Thanks

Tim

Tim,

Ya Rob has got a great product. I've used it since last season and found that does keep the rope from tangling into the boards/bindings and also keeps the rope off the biminy. The materials used are top notch aluminum and carbon fiber. In a perfect world yes keeping the rope from tangling into the board rack is fine but sometimes just not practical. If you've got newbies on board that don't pay attention it really helps as the driver can eliminate one thing. I've got the extended biminy and only a small portion of the wakejak overhangs. I've hit it w/ my head but it's light and isn't going to hurt you by any means. It does take a minute or so to lengthen/shorten the rope and the extra rope loops are tough to fit over the wider tow ball.

Tim,

Ya Rob has got a great product. I've used it since last season and found that does keep the rope from tangling into the boards/bindings and also keeps the rope off the biminy. The materials used are top notch aluminum and carbon fiber. In a perfect world yes keeping the rope from tangling into the board rack is fine but sometimes just not practical. If you've got newbies on board that don't pay attention it really helps as the driver can eliminate one thing. I've got the extended biminy and only a small portion of the wakejak overhangs. I've hit it w/ my head but it's light and isn't going to hurt you by any means. It does take a minute or so to lengthen/shorten the rope and the extra rope loops are tough to fit over the wider tow ball.

Thanks Malibudude

I may be putting that on the wish list for next season. It will make my (our) life on the boat a little less stressful. The fiance gets stressed a little when it's just she and I and I am in the water.

She does a great job but the rope not getting hung up would be one less thing for us to worry about! :thumbup:

Maybe Rob (who is on this forum) should offer a "loaner" wake jak.

Someone is interested but, doesn't wanna bight the bullet. Wak Jak offers the "Try before you buy" loaner for a certain amount of time for maybe nothing more than the shipping costs to and from the potential customer.

Customer tries it, likes it, buys it, Pistol Pete gets a small finders fee.

Maybe Rob (who is on this forum) should offer a "loaner" wake jak.

Someone is interested but, doesn't wanna bight the bullet. Wak Jak offers the "Try before you buy" loaner for a certain amount of time for maybe nothing more than the shipping costs to and from the potential customer.

Customer tries it, likes it, buys it, Pistol Pete gets a small finders fee.

Rob, is offering a deal if you buy now...you can get up to 50 bucks off if you buy the Wake Jak and the camera mount for like 218 including shipping so basically the cam mount s like 18 bucks.

look at the website on lower left give him your email address and he sends you the coupon code for 20 or 50 bucks off.

We should have a GROUP BUY :whistle:

He has some YouTube Video's as well showing the install FWIW

I saw that. I just wondered if he has anything to clamp to the tower. The wake jak contraption wouldn't work with my Titan tower since the tow spool doesn't turn. I'm just looking for a possible mount for my new Canon Vixia that doesn't cost $300. My wife usually doesn't want to drive the boat and she doesn't spend much time out of the observers seat so I'm hoping her new job next year is to run the camera. Biggrin.gif

Martin: The Camera Mount attaches to the WakeJak main clamp, so it won't work without it. The main clamp works on both rotating tow points and on stationary tow points like on some Titans, most Nautiques and lots of other boats, so if you have a question there, PM me, and I can give you more details. You can use the camera mount without the carbon fiber rods, but they do cut down on the rope slap.

The GoPro camera attached to the Camera Mount works ok for surfing video, but a wakeboarder on the end of a 70 foot rope looks like you are looking through the wrong end of the binoculars (i.e. "looks like poo" is accurate). Works much better with the Flip/Vado/Playsport or mini-camcorder type cameras.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. If anyone gets one and doesn't like it, we will definitely take it back. This is too small an industry to have unhappy customers (or to pay Pistol Pete finder's fees :biggrin:).

I don't see why you couldn't mount this to the ski pylon. Rob?

We advise not using it for tubing - stresses on the ball area are potentially too high (tow ball). It might fit on many ski pylons, but we didn't try to design it for that because it's first purpose was keeping the rope elevated (which you don't need from a ski pylon), and some ski pylons are in the middle of the boat, some are at the swim platform, some are clear at the back, etc. Knowing the creativity of people on this site, it won't shock me to see one attached to a ski pylon, but our team of 50 lawyers tells me that I should caution you that is not it's intended use.

Got me thinking though that it might fit on the tow ball of a truck, and create a fun "whack a pedestrian" game in the colder months. Again, not an "intended use".

Love the "facepalm".

Edited by malibudog

We advise not using it for tubing - stresses on the ball area are potentially too high (tow ball). It might fit on many ski pylons, but we didn't try to design it for that because it's first purpose was keeping the rope elevated (which you don't need from a ski pylon), and some ski pylons are in the middle of the boat, some are at the swim platform, some are clear at the back, etc. Knowing the creativity of people on this site, it won't shock me to see one attached to a ski pylon, but our team of 50 lawyers tells me that I should caution you that is not it's intended use.

Got me thinking though that it might fit on the tow ball of a truck, and create a fun "whack a pedestrian" game in the colder months. Again, not an "intended use".

Love the "facepalm".

Haha....you know how bored some of us get in the off season! Clap.gif