Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A little Canadian reality

Kiwionsnow

Did a little Online shoping on Black friday. ordered up some merry christmas to me.

New Samson billet Mirror (Illusion mount)

heater tube

LED light holders

Boat Blanket

Malibu cooler

Impeller kit

Order Total:

Merchandise Total: $593.56

Discounts: $141.00

Sub-Total: $452.56

Local Tax: $0.00

State/Province Tax: $0.00

Country Tax: $0.00

Shipping: $102.00

Handling: $0.00

Order Total: $554.56 us

Gift Certificate: $0.00

Grand Total: $554.56 us

Package arrived today.

An extra freight charge of 76.00 charged on sale end.

recieved a credit of $41.63 from that original freight charge.

exchange rate 1.039

Total Canadian. $611.89

UPS charges

Broker $62.85 plus HST $7.54

HST $55.17

Total purchase at site in US dollars with discount and special pricing. $554.56 including $102.00 of freight

Total purchase delivered to house in BC, Canada. $737.56 cdn

Dam I sure like this new Mirror.....................

Did a little Online shoping on Black friday. ordered up some merry christmas to me.

New Samson billet Mirror (Illusion mount)

heater tube

LED light holders

Boat Blanket

Malibu cooler

Impeller kit

Order Total:

Merchandise Total: $593.56

Discounts: $141.00

Sub-Total: $452.56

Shipping: $102.00

Order Total: $554.56 us

Grand Total: $554.56 us

Package arrived today.

An extra freight charge of 76.00 charged on sale end.

recieved a credit of $41.63 from that original freight charge.

exchange rate 1.039

Total Canadian. $611.89

UPS charges

Broker $62.85 plus HST $7.54

HST $55.17

Total purchase at site in US dollars with discount and special pricing. $554.56 including $102.00 of freight

Total purchase delivered to house in BC, Canada. $737.56 cdn

Dam I sure like this new Mirror.....................

You gotta love UPS...what a scam. I have bought stuff from Bakes, Earmark etc..unfortunately most people for some reason like to ship UPS. USPS or Fed Ex are the way to go for us Canadian guys..these so called "Broker Charges" that UPS likes to charge are BS IMO. Paul, David I think if you could ship any method other than UPS you could generate more business from us Canucks!

FWIW.

shipping intl. with USPS is the best way to go if it's something small that they will carry.

I'm not 100% sure but, I understand that FedEx has it's owner "broker" system and they don't charge as much if at all.

Edited by Pistol Pete

FWIW.

shipping intl. with USPS is the best way to go if if's something small that they will carry.

I'm not 100% sure but, I understand that FedEx has it's owner "broker" system and they don't charge as much if at all.

Never paid broker charges with Fed Ex Pete. I have ordered lots from Overtons as well as Inland Surfer and same thing UPS Broker fees. Crappy thing is I then have to drive to the other side of the city stand in a line and fork over a bunch of $$ for no apparent service in my mind. I have heard there been lawsuits up here over these broker fees, not sure if fact or fiction but it really sucks. I think I generally pay $75 min broker fees on a $500 order!

I have ordered from Bakes in the past, they recommended USPS, think it was a basic flat fee. worked out really good.

Edited by board brained

Never paid broker charges with Fed Ex Pete. I have ordered lots from Overtons as well as Inland Surfer and same thing UPS Broker fees. Crappy thing is I then have to drive to the other side of the city stand in a line and fork over a bunch of $ for no apparent service in my mind. I have heard there been lawsuits up here over these broker fees, not sure if fact or fiction but it really sucks. I think I generally pay $75 min broker fees on a $500 order!

10-4

Sounds like it's not a good idea to get down with the brown if team purple orange will get it there for no extra silly fee.

I have a US shipping address one block from the border. I get all my stuff sent to there and walk across the line and carry it back in 10 mins. No border line ups and no brokerage fees or ridiculous shipping charges. :rockon:

As has been said, UPS will kill you on brokerage.

Like Joe Hollywood, I ship to a receiver in Blaine, WA and clear the border myself. Most places will receive anything not requiring a forklift for ~$5. You also get much better shipping rates.

That said, good call on the new mirror.

I am Canadian as well. On black friday I filled my cart up at Bakes but once I got to the shipping portion and saw UPS was my only option I stopped and emptied the cart. The deals were awesome but they would have been wiped out by the hidden UPS fees. Just don't use UPS, ever. USPS and FedEx are ok as a general rule.

I am Canadian as well. On black friday I filled my cart up at Bakes but once I got to the shipping portion and saw UPS was my only option I stopped and emptied the cart. The deals were awesome but they would have been wiped out by the hidden UPS fees. Just don't use UPS, ever. USPS and FedEx are ok as a general rule.

I have done the same thing, if UPS is the only shipping option, I can't buy there.

shipping intl. with USPS is the best way to go if

FedEx has it's owner "broker" system and they don't charge as much if at all.

Actually Fed Ex is worse, not only do they charge the brokerage fee but they let it get to the broker then instead of collecting from the customer they just charge it on our Fed Ex account (not including it in the original freight cost) 2 or 3 of these slipped by before we caught it and since there is no way to find out the cost ahead a time we canceled using Fed Ex International. We actually stopped using Fed Ex all together because they were not delivering expedited packages in a timely manor (in the states) and unfortunately we kept looking like the bad guy. Plus Fed Ex's tracking system takes forever to update so for the first few days your in the dark where the package actually is.

UPS is expensive but they are dependable. My theory there is always 3 types of services and UPS usually falls under #1

1. A good, Quick Job - Won't be cheap
  2. A good job cheap - Won't be quick
  3. A cheap Job Quick - Won't be Good

We don't offer USPS on our website because their online system is really bad and doesn't calculate anything correct. We can definitely ship USPS all we ask is that you add all your items to your cart, copy and paste into a E-mail and we will get you a USPS quote. Or you can place your order online and in the special request ask to ship USPS and most of the time it works out to be a little less than UPS because of the customs charge. USPS has its hoops to jump through too though, most countries only allow a certain size box or weight to be shipped so big items have to go UPS anyways.

If you ever have any questions please feel free to contact us and we will do our best to meet your needs.

Paul

Actually Fed Ex is worse, not only do they charge the brokerage fee but they let it get to the broker then instead of collecting from the customer they just charge it on our Fed Ex account (not including it in the original freight cost) 2 or 3 of these slipped by before we caught it and since there is no way to find out the cost ahead a time we canceled using Fed Ex International. We actually stopped using Fed Ex all together because they were not delivering expedited packages in a timely manor (in the states) and unfortunately we kept looking like the bad guy. Plus Fed Ex's tracking system takes forever to update so for the first few days your in the dark where the package actually is.

UPS is expensive but they are dependable. My theory there is always 3 types of services and UPS usually falls under #1

We don't offer USPS on our website because their online system is really bad and doesn't calculate anything correct. We can definitely ship USPS all we ask is that you add all your items to your cart, copy and paste into a E-mail and we will get you a USPS quote. Or you can place your order online and in the special request ask to ship USPS and most of the time it works out to be a little less than UPS because of the customs charge. USPS has its hoops to jump through too though, most countries only allow a certain size box or weight to be shipped so big items have to go UPS anyways.

If you ever have any questions please feel free to contact us and we will do our best to meet your needs.

Paul

not my experience at all. I am not sure how much stuff you receive in Canada from the USA, but for us its' fed ex or usps.

We only shop online from sources that offer those options.

I also get hit with brokerage charges from Fed-Ex it just showed up as an invoice a couple weeks later vs. UPS who gets you at the door.

I use reciever address at Sweetgrass MT and just plan my US shopping a couple times a year. I line it up with a couple of friends so I do't have to drive every time. You do have to pay GST to cross the border.

That's where USPS is even a better deal... no brokerage... and 9 times out of 10 they don't even collect GST. I get caught occasionally based on the value of the items but it is not consistent.

Check out this kick in the a$#

1. Product ID: 085226343414

Product Name: Perko FlushPro Engine Flush Kit 1"-1/4

Attributes (if any):

Price: $119.99

Quantity: 1

2. Product ID: 4131007

Product Name: Light Element LED White Interior

Attributes (if any):

Price: $16.99

Quantity: 4

3. Product ID: 4131009

Product Name: Light Housing SS Down Facing

Attributes (if any):

Price: $4.00

Quantity: 4

Order Total:

Merchandise Total: $203.95

Discounts: $50.99

Sub-Total: $152.96

Shipping: $23.00

Order Total: $175.96

Grand Total: $175.96

So total merchandise without shipping was $152.96. I paid $23 when I ordered from Bakes then just got a lovely note on my door to leave a cheque for UPS for another $48.53. So for an order of $152 I have paid close to $75 in shipping and broker fees... boy am I happy.

USPS is the best way to go,...

Edited by old skool malibu
Pistol Pete, on December 07, 2010 - 07:56 PM, said:

shipping intl. with USPS is the best way to go if

FedEx has it's owner "broker" system and they don't charge as much if at all.

Paul

Paul,

I really wish you would have left in the first part of my quote where I said I wasn't 100% sure.

Edited by Pistol Pete

Paul,

I really wish you would have left in the first part of my quote where I said I wasn't 100% sure.

Pretty cool to see Paul is trying to help us Canucks! Thanks Paul...I had the comment on my thread when I ordered my stuff but didnt cut and paste. Next time!

Paul,

My bad Pete!! Sorry about that.

Pretty cool to see Paul is trying to help us Canucks! Thanks Paul...I had the comment on my thread when I ordered my stuff but didnt cut and paste. Next time!

I will help in any way I can. I will tell you though that USPS makes it very difficult for a business to deal with, no pick up, their online quote system is way off from their actually pricing when you got in to send the package, no bulk rates, no "business line" at the post office basically every Joe or Shirley is treated the same whether your mailing a envelope or shipping 10 packages a day. Basically each time we go it can sometimes be a hour to hour and half round trip to drop packages off where UPS is the click of a button.

I agree with you 100% that the brokerage fee to Canada from UPS is a complete rip off. I don't get how it works or where that money goes but it doesn't seem fair how that system works.

I also sent a message to everybody at Bake's to remind customers (even if the customer doesn't ask) to make mention that there is the USPS option to avoid getting stuck with the brokerage fees. In some cases there isn't a option because of size/ weight but we will do our best to take care of our International customers as best as we can.

I appreciate your business and will be working on ways & procedures to help make international shipping easier.

Paul

Canadian Shoppers:

Can you drop me a link to a website (in the US) that you've shopped on and was easy for you to make your purchase / ship USPS? I want to figure out what works so i can make this problem of shopping Bake's Online easier for you.

Thanks in advance

-Paul

Hey Paul. Thanx for your attention to this post. I think you have great products and great service. My wish list is far longer than what I have ordered so far. Being in the business I am in I can't help but think that UPS/ fed ex has a area rep that values your business and would be happy to sit down with you and come up with a flat rate or a guaranteed rate system and or broker fee (or no broker fee) that you could state on the web site. I would look for some more input from the members on what you could take to the shippers. Like 5% added to Canadian orders and no Broker fees. That way if you have an agreement in place and you have some rules of play if they back billl our account or other overhead costs you need to manage. As you and I can see many Canadian owners look, drool, and wish on your site but are afraid of the unknown once they they push the buy button. You have a huge market opportunity up here. If you can work on a business plan with a shipping company good things will come. Heck if was you I could see it as your number 1 growth opportunity in 2011 based on our good and getting better economy as we have and will spend the money. (well, I will ). There is a big population of boats up here that you need to tap into as you have products we can not get here. ( if i can get it from my dealer I will but he is 9 hrs away) UPS and fed x want your business and getting a face to face with them will be worth it for you. If they don't then shipping is a competitive market and there are others to make a deal with. I have read your posts and understand that you are not even sure how or what they would do when you ship something out. Time for them to make it clear enough that you and state it on your web site and guarantee it. Time to take it to them an have them make some commitments to you so you can do more business with us. They can do more shipping. You sell more, I buy more, Everybody wins. Cheers.

Add me to the canuck list of customers... I do alot of south of the border shopping via Ebay and other various sites and always specify USPS before making commitment to purchase. Like others have mentioned my experience with USPS much is better than the other options. With any items under $50 nothing additional is charged and quite often fail to even charge taxes on more expensive items. Two thumbs up for shipping USPS north of the border :thumbup:

Hey Paul. Thanx for your attention to this post. I think you have great products and great service. My wish list is far longer than what I have ordered so far. Being in the business I am in I can't help but think that UPS/ fed ex has a area rep that values your business and would be happy to sit down with you and come up with a flat rate or a guaranteed rate system and or broker fee (or no broker fee) that you could state on the web site. I would look for some more input from the members on what you could take to the shippers. Like 5% added to Canadian orders and no Broker fees. That way if you have an agreement in place and you have some rules of play if they back billl our account or other overhead costs you need to manage. As you and I can see many Canadian owners look, drool, and wish on your site but are afraid of the unknown once they they push the buy button. You have a huge market opportunity up here. If you can work on a business plan with a shipping company good things will come. Heck if was you I could see it as your number 1 growth opportunity in 2011 based on our good and getting better economy as we have and will spend the money. (well, I will ). There is a big population of boats up here that you need to tap into as you have products we can not get here. ( if i can get it from my dealer I will but he is 9 hrs away) UPS and fed x want your business and getting a face to face with them will be worth it for you. If they don't then shipping is a competitive market and there are others to make a deal with. I have read your posts and understand that you are not even sure how or what they would do when you ship something out. Time for them to make it clear enough that you and state it on your web site and guarantee it. Time to take it to them an have them make some commitments to you so you can do more business with us. They can do more shipping. You sell more, I buy more, Everybody wins. Cheers.

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate you taking the time to do that.

I actually contacted both UPS and Fed-Ex (I will give them a try again) reps yesterday after my last post. We also just purchased a stamps.com membership where we get a unique back door to USPS which cross my fingers is going to be the best answer to all of our issues.

International orders is a huge area of growth for us so believe me I'm trying to make it work better for all parties involved.

Thanks for your time again!

-Paul