Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Optioning out custom order 247

jrz1

First off - thanks to everyone who has offered advice thus far on my potential 247 purchase. While I can't do it for a few days given family situation, I plan to order one soon before the current Malibu promotion expires. Here's what I'm thinking now in terms of options etc. Appreciate any and all reaction/input.

"Stupid" 555 hp motor

Colors - Exterior

Deck Base: White

Deck Accent 2: Ebony

Deck Accent: White

Deck Main: Ebony

Hull Main: White

Hull Accent: Ebony

Hull Base: Light Graphite

Colors - Interior

Dash: Ebony & Light Graphite

Base: Moonbeam

Accent 1: Graphite (Diamond Grain)

Main: Platinum

Carpet: Sterlining

Bead: White

Cushion Panel: Light Graphite

Options:

- Pull up cleats

- Transom Lights

- Power Wedge

- Battery 3

- Pop up bow light

- Stainless Pylon

- Heater (3)

- Ladder

- Docking Lights

- Bow Ballast

- Maliview

- Shaft

- Stainless exhaust

- Stereo transom remote

- Subwoofer

- 247 stereo pack

- Tower Amp (buying aftermarket tower speakers - probably Wetsounds MB-8s & Pro 80G3)

- Tower knobs

- Bimini

- Cover

Don't think I missed anything. Let me know if I'm making any mistakes.

Make sure the top of the deck is white, not black. I'm too lazy to look up if it is deck main or base, but the horizontal part going from the outside of the boat to the inside. Where you would be resting your bare arm on a 100 deg day while you are sitting in the boat. I've heard Malibu has some fancy new gel that makes it so black isn't too hot, but I'd need proof first.

Edit: I just mustered up enough energy to look at the malibu site, it looks like you're okay.

Edited by Molarbu

Make sure the top of the deck is white, not black. I'm too lazy to look up if it is deck main or base, but the horizontal part going from the outside of the boat to the inside. Where you would be resting your bare arm on a 100 deg day while you are sitting in the boat. I've heard Malibu has some fancy new gel that makes it so black isn't too hot, but I'd need proof first.

Edit: I just mustered up enough energy to look at the malibu site, it looks like you're okay.

Agree. That is my intent. Will confirm when I go into dealer.

I thought you were all concerned about % off msrp. You can't be to concerned if you're going to blow $20K on an engine option.

I didn't get in the position to buy one of these by being stupid. Frivolous? Yes. Stupid no. I just want to make sure I don't give up unecessary depreciation by paying too much. I know I'll potentially take a hit on the motor since most people will be price buyers and favor the stock motor but that's the price I pay for bling. By the way, after discount the engine option is more like $10-12K not $20 which, knowing the cost of that block,, is not that bad of a deal. It's basically a detuned Chevy Corvette ZR1 motor which is pretty crazy.

jrZ1, I am also in the process of optioning out a new VLX and plan to order soon. I don't see anything you have left out and I'm not getting some items that you are, but agree you should order how you want it. I am bringing mine in with the base stereo/four speakers and will have the other work done locally. I will also spec a high altitude prop, but may not apply since you are getting that monster 555. I am doing a primarily white boat with accents and a white tower. I'm almost certain I will stay with the same interior combo I have now since I know what it's going to look like. I am considering getting the fiberglass floor a light graphite, so there is less contrast between the snap-out carpet and the carpet under the seats. It's no big deal, but after having full carpet the white gap stands out and I'm sure I would get used to it.

Are you doing upgrades on your trailer?

jrZ1, I am also in the process of optioning out a new VLX and plan to order soon. I don't see anything you have left out and I'm not getting some items that you are, but agree you should order how you want it. I am bringing mine in with the base stereo/four speakers and will have the other work done locally. I will also spec a high altitude prop, but may not apply since you are getting that monster 555. I am doing a primarily white boat with accents and a white tower. I'm almost certain I will stay with the same interior combo I have now since I know what it's going to look like. I am considering getting the fiberglass floor a light graphite, so there is less contrast between the snap-out carpet and the carpet under the seats. It's no big deal, but after having full carpet the white gap stands out and I'm sure I would get used to it.

Are you doing upgrades on your trailer?

Your floor comment is a good one. Can you spec something just for the floor liner below the permanent carpet up the sides of the seat? Light graphite there may be in my future as well. Thanks! Not ordering a trailer. I have a covered dock with a lift and I'll get the canvas cover and put sides on it as well (have to explore that). The dealer is only a short drive from my lake home and I can presumably borrow a trailer from them if it needs service so I'm lucky in that regard.

I didn't get in the position to buy one of these by being stupid. Frivolous? Yes. Stupid no. I just want to make sure I don't give up unecessary depreciation by paying too much. I know I'll potentially take a hit on the motor since most people will be price buyers and favor the stock motor but that's the price I pay for bling. By the way, after discount the engine option is more like $10-12K not $20 which, knowing the cost of that block,, is not that bad of a deal. It's basically a detuned Chevy Corvette ZR1 motor which is pretty crazy.

You're getting a great deal if you're getting 50% off.

Gm took the zr1 motor from the parts bin, modified it slightly and put it in the caddy ctsv. Think in the vet its around 640 hp but i think they detuned to not kill the tranny

Your floor comment is a good one. Can you spec something just for the floor liner below the permanent carpet up the sides of the seat? Light graphite there may be in my future as well. Thanks! Not ordering a trailer. I have a covered dock with a lift and I'll get the canvas cover and put sides on it as well (have to explore that). The dealer is only a short drive from my lake home and I can presumably borrow a trailer from them if it needs service so I'm lucky in that regard.

I will have to verify, but understand it's a no charge option on the floor color. Take a look at this dealer stock - I like the looks, but I think ebony would be really hot if you opted to pull the carpet out for a day.

http://www.saskatoonwatersports.com/boatDetail.aspx?bID=215

Think youre right on the no charge. I really like that in the pic. Never take carpet out of my current boat (snaps are killer on feet) but not sure id want glossy black anyway. Thanks for pic!

Edited by jrz1

If the snap out tatami mat is an option in the 247, you might consider it. I ordered it sight unseen and I like it way better than carpet. It is a bit slippery when wet. That is my only complaint. On the plus side, it looks like it will resist every stain known to man.

Sounds like a sweet boat...I wish I would have waited for the 247.

Couple of thoughts...Other than having to be very careful about deck scratches, I only scortched myself 1x on my boat last year. I personally think you're missing out if you don't add some colors to the boats. Mailibu is one of the few manufacturers that allows you to customize a boat to the extent you can...take advantage of it so your boat doesn't look like everyother boat on the water. It will turn heads everywhere...even on your driveway! The white stripe on my boat is the only white on it.

But even if you want to stay conservative on the outside, I highly recommend adding some color to the interior. My local dealership had some pretty vanilla black and white boats this year, but they did a red floor, red piping, and the red/blk sports shroud with red stitching which adds the red accents around the speakers. It made a world of difference inside the boat. I personally think this will add to resale as well....or at least make it sell faster. As for the floor, I have a dark blue floor and although I typically don't take the carpet out, I have no complaints other than removing the plug is a PITA because you need to unsnap the carpet everytime and then screw off the access cap. In 2010, it was a no charge option. I'm happy with the standard snap out carpet.

As for the stock stereo and amps...I understand there is a WetSound Upgrade option in 2011. Unless you buy both Wetsound Amps and Speakers, spend as little as possible. The Rockford AMPs are ridiculous. I've never seen such small AMPs for the price they charge. Additionally, they have them turned down with stickers on them over the gain controls that say if you remove the sticker to turn them up, it voids the warranty. So you end up with an expensive system that sounds like junk. I bought Sound Pak 3 plus the Sub and I completely regret it.

For both of you...I wouldn't recommend purchasing the cover from Malibu. It was expensive and puddles. I wish I would have deleted this and got an Evolution cover instead for the same money.

For thtrong and the VLX.....DON'T ORDER THE HIGH ALTITUDE PROP! Unless you are solely using the boat for boarding and skiing, it is a miserable cruiser with that prop....at least my LSV is. It runs 4k RPM in the low 30's. It's great for boarding and skiing, but I really didn't need it for boading unless the boat is totally loaded up.

If you end up getting the Malibu Boatmate trailer, I'd recommend upgrading to the 7 pin plug.

Edited by bennekm

Color combo is a personal choice and I'm good with that. I was trying to find out more about the tatami mat last week and was told it has been discontinued. I've run the 1235 prop for over 200 hours and love it - we primarily board and rarely run over 30. Anyone need a like new 537? I need to remember the 7 pin and do away with the 5 pin adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are looking to cover the sides, you may want to look at this. I have heard they are very nice.

Automatic Boat cover