Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Storage - Full Tank vs Half Full Tank

pdhj1990

I've been participating in a thread on another forum that addresses boat storage:

http://www.centurioncrew.com/storing-boat-t3922.html

The issue is whether to store the boat with a full tank of gas and stabil or a near empty tank with stabil.

Ethanol blended gas has a poor shelf life and it attracts water. As we're all aware, neither is good for boat motors.

How do you all store your boats - Full tank or nearly empty? Also, what are your thoughts as respects to summarizing your boats?

Furthermore, our winters in Texas are rather short - maybe 3 to 4 months max. Does this affect anyone’s opinion?

Paul

Full with marine stabilizer leaves less room inside tank for condensation to form with changes in outside temp. Same thing with cars and trucks. Better to keep em full much as possible.

Condensation is more of an issue with older metal tanks. With the new composite plastic tanks condensation is less of an issue.

If you have ethanol in your tank, stabilize the fuel and then run the thing bone dry.

Obviously this comes down to personal opinion as much, but I was working at a boat shop when we switched over to ethanol, as a reslut of that I don't keep fuel stored in my boat for any length of time.

-Chris

I go less fuel 1/4 - 1/2 tank and blue stabil. Condensation is not a big issue with the new plastic tanks. I have space to put fresh fuel in before my firs launch. I also keep my boat in a attached garage so it stays above freezing most of the time and no big temp swings.

Doesn't matter how much gas you store it with just make sure it's got the right ammount of marine blend stabil in it. You will be wasting your time if you are worrying about it.

Put the stabil in and run the boat so it is in the fuel system. Fuel lines, pump, injectors. Don't just add it to the tank. If the boat has been winterized it would be better to add it to the tank but it should be done on your last outing so it in the entire system.

Blue stabil and low on the level. fresh fill up in the spring and board/ski to your harts content.

as for "summerizing" the boat if you do your owm work it is just a matter of reversing what you did in the winter plus relpacing any parts that are due.

Doesn't matter how much gas you store it with just make sure it's got the right ammount of marine blend stabil in it. You will be wasting your time if you are worrying about it.

I would have to agree with this one. I have never had a problem related to ethanol.