Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drive Shaft Seal on 2001 Sporty

Pinball Rick

What kind and size packing rope do I need in my 2001 Sportster? (where do I pick this up?) I picked up some 1/4 " today at West Marine and I could not get it to go in. The guy at the store told me that the drip rate should be 2 drips per minute. That seams very slow to me for a motor boat. What is the recommended drip rate? Mine is just flowing out at the moment. Is there a good manual for this boat that covers this and the electrical wiring?

Thanks

Pinball Rick

You want the drip rate to be about 1 drip ~ every 10 seconds.

If memory serves the packing size is 3/16". It seems like I researched this once so I could pick some up to keep on hand and then never bought any. :Doh: I'll see if I can find the info to confirm. :thumbup:

Ski Dim sells the GFO packing rope. I installed it in mine & you can get it to barely drip & the shaft still runs cool. 3\16 is the size you need. The GFO is more money than the regular stuff but it's worth it. There is a manual available for our boats. Mine is at my shop so I can't get you the name. Try a search, Pistol Pete has posted info about it.

Edited by pup